*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845655-I-should-have-died-trying
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1845655
I had tried to take the easy way out and found that it wasn't so easy.
         Matt Hartman once said, “Suicide is the remedy of pain,” and for me, this couldn't be more accurate. I was sixteen, and in more 'pain' than I thought anyone could understand. I simply couldn't continue feeling so miserable, so I took the coward's way out. On the night of February 24, 2009, I attempted to commit suicide. I gave up on my future and everything I had ever known. I stopped caring. I had never wanted anything more than in that moment; I wanted to die.
         The week prior to my self-destruction was hell. I had lost my best friend, my boyfriend, and I had been told that there was no chance that I could pass biology. I felt like everyone had abandoned me. With everything stripped away from me, I had no comfort, and felt totally exposed to the world.
         I came home after my very stressful week to find my house void of all human life. My oh so loving parents had went out of town without telling me – again. I couldn't handle being alone anymore. I guess this was the last straw. Something in me snapped. I lost all desire to keep going.
         I grabbed a bottle of aspirin out of the medicine cabinet and poured them across the counter. I began consuming them rapidly, crushing them between my teeth so hard it hurt. Before I had realized what I was doing, they were gone. An entire bottle, now making it's way to my stomach. I lay on the floor sobbing, and waiting for death to come.
         Thirty minutes later I was still on the floor, whimpering. I was completely numb, but my breathing was steady. In and out, slowly, carefully. But my heart was pounding. I could feel it beating  in my chest, my head, my ears. I was on a critical level. Then why wasn't I dead yet? I didn't want to wait any longer. I wanted it over, immediately.
         Stumbling into the kitchen I managed to find a knife. I drug the blade across my wrist, just below the palm. Blood flowed so easily, but it wasn't enough. I pulled the blade again further down my arm, this time with more pressure. Again and again I moved the blade across my wrist watching my own blood stream out. I knew this was the end. I knew that I couldn't possibly loose this much blood and still live. I began to cry again, but this time I was happy. Then laughter, crazed and manacle. I had never felt so free in my entire life.
         Suddenly, there was a gentle knock on the door. My heart stopped and fell through the floor. Before I could answer the door, it opened. In the threshold stood my, now, ex-boyfriend. It took him a minute to process the scene, and by the time he realized what was going on, I passed out. The aspirin and the loss of blood had caught up to me.
         When I came to I was in the hospital. Tubes and needles pricking into my skin from all angles. I could hear beeping and whirring above my head. My first thought was that I was in hell. A perpetual state of the life I feigned on earth. But then I felt. I felt the pain, I felt regret, I felt worse than I did before. And then, I felt a squeeze. I looked up to see my parents, my ex-boyfriend, and even my ex-best friend surrounding me. I couldn't look at them. I was too ashamed. I knew that I had hurt them worse than they had hurt me, I had hurt them worse than I had hurt myself. Again, the feeling of not wanting to be alive surged through me. I had done everything so wrong, I just wanted a chance to fix it. I wanted a chance to try again.
         Before I could get that chance though, I was forced into a mental rehabilitation center owned by the hospital. Since I wasn't 21 I had no say in whether I wanted to go or not. I had to spend four weeks in the loony bin because I messed up. Because I failed at death. I thought instead of punishing me, they should take me out for ice-cream and give me a trophy for surviving suicide, but they had other plans. I didn't want to be locked away from everything for four weeks. I wanted to go home and go on with my life. I wanted to try again in the comfort of my house. But at sixteen, my wants didn't matter. Only the wants of everyone around me were important.
         So I went. I slept for the first few days, but I wasn't allowed blankets, or a pillow, or even shoes with shoe laces. They were too dangerous for a patient of my status. When I started complaining about being cold the nurse told me I had to earn these small luxuries. The only way to earn things in a mental facility is to be completely sane. So I went to group, I went to my therapy sessions, I watched T.V. in the commons, I even ate meals with everyone else. Within three days the nurses thought I was sane enough to have sheets, and a blanket.
         I had also met people like me. Kids just trying to deal with their emotions in the worst way possible. I began to understand that I wasn't the only one who had a bad day or two. I wasn't the only one suffering. On my ward I wasn't even considered weird. In less than four weeks I had realized that my problems were petty and that I can do better than suicide.
         Going back to school was the hardest thing. Everyone saw me differently, and I lost a lot of my friends over it. They thought I was a freak, but it didn't faze me because I knew differently. I did make a lot of new friends though. People who went through the same thing, people who I could relate to. Things at home got better too, my parents and I started communicating like a healthy family, instead of typed notes stuck to the fridge. We talked every night over dinner and then we watched T.V. together. We became closer. In the end I even managed to pass biology with a  C. My final six weeks grade was a 201 which I was told was impossible. But I did it.
         Since the incident I've learned to deal with things in a healthy way. I don't let my emotions control my actions anymore. I talk things out and find other things to occupy my time. In a way, not succeeding at suicide was the best thing that's ever happened to me. I learned a lot from a mistake. I feel lucky to be alive, lucky to have everything I have, and lucky to know now what most people only think they know; Life is good.
© Copyright 2012 Celeste Annya (celest3alove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845655-I-should-have-died-trying