*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845733-PE3-Vignette
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #1845733
Dramatic Premise and theme
I met Keno in the drive-thru lane at Starbucks during summer vacation from college.  The early morning people are on their way to work and don’t have time for chit chat.  They just want their caffeine and off they go.  It got so I’d recognize the cars coming through and I’d have their brew waiting.  I’d hand it out and they gave me money.  Most times the small change left over was my tip.  Well, it wasn’t exactly a tip.  They morning  coffee brigade all anxious to get back on the road in bumper to bumper traffic juggling hot coffee and shaving, or applying make-up.  I’ve even seen people trying to read the newspaper while driving.

Most people are cordial enough, but there are always a few grumps and I’d just smile and wish them a great day.  One guy told me to f-off.  The next morning I handed him a larger size coffee than he usually ordered.

“I’m not paying for that,” he sneered.

“It’s on me.”  I gave him a dazzling smile and he drove away without saying a word.

“That guy’s a jackass,” Mindy, my co-worker, hollered.

“I know, but I’ll win him over eventually.”

“I wouldn’t place a bet on that.”

The following morning he came through the lane and I gave him his regular coffee and this time he grunted, “Thank you” paid and sped off.  I waved, but I doubt he noticed so intent on fighting traffic and making ten times more money than me.  I like to think being nice works.

Keno was the absolute opposite of Mr. Grump.  He didn’t pull up until 10:00 in the morning, near the end of my shift.  For several mornings his silver Porsche rounded the curve after putting in his request and waited at the window.  I didn’t pay too much attention to him because he was always on his cell phone.  I’d hand out his Venti Mocha Latte, he’d hand me a ten and drive away, leaving me with over five-dollars in tip money.  It’s not even that I expected tips, although grateful, for just handing over a container of coffee. 

The following week the Porsche rumbled to a stop at my window.  “Hey, Juliet.”  Surprised at first he knew my name, and then realized he read my name tag.

“Good morning,” I stammered and melted into his maple syrup brown eyes fringed with black lashes.  His smile was nice too with all his perfect white teeth.  Probably veneers.  I handed out his latte.  His hand touched mine and I shivered.  What is wrong with you, girl? A creepy feeling crept over me.

He shoved me another ten.  “Keep the change and have a great day,” followed with an engaging smile

“That’s my line.”  I retorted hotly. 

“Well, now we have something in common.”  He winked at me and drove away.

I felt goose-bumps up and down my spine for falling for such a charming flirt gimmick.  He made it personal by using my name and called my bluff.  Why did I feel intimidated?

“Who’s the hot guy?”  Mindy asked with a smirk. 

I shook my head.  “It’s the first time he’s ever spoken to me.  Usually he’s yakking on his cell phone.”

“You want to be careful with those smooth talkers,” she laughed.  “They usually have something up their sleeve.”

“I don’t think so.  He’s just being friendly.”  I hoped and blew the bangs out of my eyes.  My arms ached and my legs strained to keep me upright. 

Mindy picked up the tip jar.  “Is he the one that keeps leaving the big tips?”

“Yep.”

“Then good for us.”

*

It was several days before I saw the Porsche roll up to the window.  I’d been primping the last couple of days by getting up extra early and making sure I looked presentable by applying some make-up and wearing a clean shirt.  I even had my nails done, although it was an expense I couldn’t afford.  I’d have to eat Ramen noodles and Jell-o all week.

I leaned out the window.  “Good morning,” and handed him the coffee.  I felt like flirting when I saw his broad grin.  “Where ya been? On vacation?” 

“Ah, so you missed me.”  Today he wore a dress shirt open at the collar.  The cuffs rolled up over the wrists.  Is that a Rolex watch?  His face clean shaven and I inhaled a hint of musk cologne.  I wanted to climb into that car and smell him all day.

“Just making sure you’re a satisfied customer.”  Blushing like an idiot, I continued to smile even though I trembled inside for playing this dangerous game.

“I’m Keno, by the way.”  He placed a ten dollar bill in my hand and held it for a few seconds.  “See you tomorrow, Juliet.”  I heard his cell phone ringing as he pulled away.

Placing the extra money in the tip jar, Mindy caught me smiling.  “You’re hot for hot guy, aren’t you?”

“Just having some fun.  If you haven’t noticed, he is somewhat out of my league.  I work here and he looks like a million bucks.  Never going to happen.”

Being romantic Mindy, she added, “The heart wants what the heart wants.  I think he likes you.”

Chomping on a banana muffin, leaving crumbs on my shirt, I mumbled, “What’s not to like?”

“You eat like a pig, but you go girl,” laughed Mindy.

*

Leaving after my shift the next day with my tips and disappointed I hadn’t seen Keno, I planned on going back to my apartment and napping until late afternoon.  It was Friday and my friends planned to meet at a pub for a girl’s night out.

I dug into my purse for keys to my car and lit a cigarette.  “Those are bad for you.”  I whirled around at the sound of his voice.  Keno was walking toward me.  He looked so clean-cut wearing one of those shirts with the alligator logo on it.  Me, still in my crappy Starbuck’s shirt with powdered sugar smeared across my chest.

“You’re late.”  I blurted out.

“No – just in time.  I’m taking you to lunch.  If you don’t mind?”  There was that self-assured smile again.  His teeth even sparkled in the sunshine like on a TV commercial.

Left speechless, I willed my brain to come up with something witty to say.  He stood only two feet away, his brown sugar eyes looking me over.

“Cat got your tongue?”

Escape was on my mind.  “Thanks for asking, but I’m not dressed for lunch, as you can see.”  I felt and looked like a worn out dish rag.

“Then dinner it is.  I’ll pick you up at eight.”

I nodded.  “Okay.”  Feeling timid and awkward, but at the same time fascinated by this man.  I was the gawky girl who gets asked to the prom by the handsome quarter-back.  Sure, I dated guys all the time, but they were poor students just like me.  Pizza and beer stuff.

He said some things that didn’t quite register and handed me his business card.  In exchange he jotted down my address and phone number.

“See you at eight, Juliet.”  Again, the big smile.  He opened my car door and waited until I started it before leaving and getting into his own.  He waved and was gone.

All that was on his business card was his name, Kevin Nolan, and his telephone number.

I was going on a date with a stranger.  What had I done?

 PE 3 Keno Character Sketch  (E)
Kevin Nolan
#1845735 by Endless Enigma





© Copyright 2012 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1845733-PE3-Vignette