*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847839-The-Accident
Rated: · Fiction · Family · #1847839
This is the next three chapter of the short story I am working on
Chapter 4


A month had passed since Virginia left Evendre and she hadn't looked back. She and Adrew were getting closer every day and was getting strong feelings for him and she knew he was getting strong feelings for her as well. She tried to avoid him but it wasn't easy to do since she worked for him. He had invited her to a weekend camping trip with him and his family but she declined. She knew he wanted her to meet more people but she would not feel comfortable being with his family. She had to change her number because everyone back home was contacting her and trying to get her to come back but she refused. She couldn't go back because she didn't have a place there. The only person who had her number was her best friend Sam and she was sworn to secrecy not to say anything. Sam knew everything and the reasons why she left. She snapped out of her thoughts and went back to the task at hand and that was to find her a permanent place to live.


This place was nice and all but it didn't fill like home she wanted something more spacious. She was searching around online and came across a place to rent so she picked up her cell and called it. She wrote down the address and decided to go take a look at the place. She had no idea that it was in the same apartment complex where Andrew lived either. She drove to the place and found a parking space and parked. She then made her way to the office and knocked. From what she could tell just from the outside this was a nice place to live. The complex was gated and had a swimming area. " Can I help you." the woman said who answered the door. Virginia could tell just by seeing what she did that the inside was just as nice. " Yes my name is Virginia Cantell and I called about the apartment earlier." she told her. The woman than smiled at her. " Yes I remember now." she said to her as she flashed her a smile. Virginia smiled back at her. " Well I was wondering if I could possibly look at it today." she said to her. The woman looked at her and smiled. " Sure just let me get the key." she said.


The woman came out a few minutes later and the two walked to the apartment. " This apartment was just remodeled and each apartment comes with it's own washer and dryer hook ups if you prefer to do your laundry there or we have a community laundry room as well." she told her as she unlocked the door. The two women stepped inside and right away Virginia fell in love with it. The apartment was spacious and was a two bedroom and one and a half baths. She could tell it was redone too. " The kitchen is average size and comes with a dishwasher and a glass top stove. It is all electric as well." she told her as she continued showing her the place. " How much is the rent?" she asked and hoped it was affordable because she wanted it. " Rent is $ 550.00 a month with trash paid and the deposit is $250.00 and if you have a pet or wanting to get one an additional $100.00 will be added on to the rent." she explained.


Virginia liked the apartment but felt it was too expensive for her to get right now. " It is very nice and I would like to get it but I am afraid it is way out of my league right now." she said as the two women walked back to the office. " I can understand that." she said to her. The two women talked for a little while and then Virginia turned to leave. " If you change your mind all you have to do is call and we will set everything up." the woman said. Virginia nodded her head and walked back to her car. She really wanted a place of her own but couldn't live beyond her means to have one nor did she want to drain her accounts just to rent a place either. She sighed, started her car, and drove off. She would have to go back to where she was currently staying and search around some more until she found a place that she loved and could afford both.


It wasn't like she didn't get paid enough working for Andrew because she did it was the fact that she had only been there a month and didn't have that kind of money saved up because if she used it all then she would be broke and she did not need that. She was about to pull out when her phone rang. " Hello." she said when she answered it. She recognized the number of her best friend. " Hello Ginger." Sam said and called her by the nickname that she had gave her. " Hey Sam what's up?" she asked her as she put her ear peace in and started her car. " Nothing much. Just calling to let you know that everyone is asking me questions as to why you left." she said. Virginia than backed out of the parking space and put the car into drive. " You haven't told them anything have you?" she asked her. She knew Sam wouldn't but had to be sure. " No you know I wouldn't say anything, but I think you need to call your parents and tell them." she told her.


Virginia sighed and rolled her eyes. Sam you know I can't tell them or anyone anything." she told her best friend. " I know this but I think everyone would be understanding and forgiving." she said to her. Virginia thought about this for a minute and knew she was right but still couldn't tell anyone. " Sam I can't." she said as she made a left hand turn. Sam sighed. " I know this but I miss my best friend." she said to her. Virginia missed Sam as well. " I miss you too. Soon I will let you come and visit me I just need to find a decent place to live." she told her. She explained to Sam everything that was going on and about the apartment she had just saw. " I know you will find something soon." she said to her.


The two women talked until Virginia reached the place she was currently living at. I need to get off of here I got a long day of apartment searching ahead of me." she said. So the two women went hung up and Virginia got out and headed to her apartment. As soon as she made it in the door the tears started flowing.

Chapter 5


Two days later and Virginia found her an apartment. It wasn't as nice as the one she checked out first but it was nice and was affordable too. She took the day off so she could get the utilities turned on and she needed to go get furniture and things as well. Andrew told her that he would help her move as soon as he got done with the day. She was getting hungry so she went to the Country Cow and ordered lunch for the both of them. She knew that he wasn't going to eat because he was so busy but she knew he would eat if it was brought to him. She didn't know why she was doing it though because they weren't together, but she was doing it anyway.


She drove to his office building and parked. She then got out and went inside. " Hello Virginia." the older lady said as she walked past. " Hey Margret." she said to her. She made her way to Andrew's office and knocked. " Come in." he said. So she opened the door and went inside. She held up the bags. " I figured you would want
some lunch." she said as she shut the door behind her. " You didn't have too." he said as he cleared off his desk to make room for the both of them to eat. " I know but I did because I wanted to thank you for helping me the past month." she told him as she took everything out of the bags. " It was my pleasure." he said to her as he took a couple bottles of water out of the fridge and handed her one. " I got the utilities turned on and so tomorrow morning sometime they will be turned on at the apartment." she told him as she took a bite. " Good. Have you got furniture yet?" he asked her.


She took a sip of her water. " Not yet but have been looking." she told him. He looked at her and smiled. " I know of a great furniture store you can go to. The prices are cheap and the furniture is nice." he told her. She was needing cheap and so far all the cheap furniture she seen was not that great. " I need cheap and decent furniture." she told him. He then smiled at her and she melted. " I have a few more clients to meet with so your welcome to hang out here if you want." he told her. As much as she would have liked to stay there and work for a couple hours she couldn't. " I would love too but I better get home so I can pack. I want to get moved in by tomorrow evening." she told him.


She then got up and threw the trash away. " Ok we will just meet back here at around 4:00 then." he told her. She threw the trash into the trash can and turned around to face him once more. " Sounds like a plan." she said as she opened the door and left. He watched her disappear before going back to work. He couldn't get her out of his mind no matter how hard he tried. He picked up a folder and tried to concentrate. Virginia went back to where she was staying at and started packing. She didn't have a whole lot of stuff so she knew it wouldn't take her that long. but the thought of being close to Andrew for a few hours scared her.


She cranked on her radio and turned up the volume and began packing the little bit of stuff she had brought with her and what she had bought since she had lived there. She knew that she would be without utilities until tomorrow sometime but she did not care she would deal with that for one night. She just wanted to get everything moved into her new place tonight and would worry about unpacking and getting settled in tomorrow. She got everything packed up and in boxes by two thirty so she took a walk through of the place to make sure she had gotten everything that was hers. She then started taking the small boxes out to her car and loaded it up. The big stuff would be put into Andrew's truck as well as the furniture she intended on getting that night and the furniture that wouldn't fit she would have to have it delivered. She then locked the door and headed back towards the insurance office to meet Andrew. She knew that she would be arriving a little early so she would visit with Margret for a bit while he finished up. She liked Margret and the two women became fast friends.


She reached the office building and pulled in and found a place next to Andrew. She got out and walked back inside. " Hello again Margret." she said as she entered. The older woman looked at her and smiled. " Well hello again to you too." she said and went back to what she was doing. " I am a bit early but I decided to come and visit with you while I waited." she said as she set down in a chair. " Yes he is in a meeting but he should be out shortly. He told me that he is taking you to Consar's Furniture." she said to her. Virginia than looked up st her and smiled. " Yes he is because I found me an apartment that I can afford and it is really nice." she said to her as Andrew was coming out. He walked up to Margret and handed her a file. " You two ladies out here gossiping about me." he said as he smiled.


This made the two women laugh at him. " No." they both said. Andrew walked back to his office to grab his things. " Lock up when you leave Margret." he said to the woman as he headed out. " Yes I will and you two kids behave." she said as the two of them walked out. She started to get into her car. " Do you just want to go with me and then I will bring you back when we are finished?" he asked her. She really didn't want to but knew that it made no sense to take two vehicles." I guess I can handle that." she said as she locked up her car and got in the passenger side of his truck. He then got in and started it. " I know your afraid of being around me. Trust me you have nothing to worry about." he said as he backed out.


This made her turn two shades of red and she looked out the window. " You're right and I am sorry I am acting this way." she said to him. The two of them headed to the furniture store and she was able to purchase everything that she needed for under a thousand dollars with a few extra items thrown in. After that they headed back to the office so that she could retrieve her car. Then they headed to her place to get the rest of her things and took it to her new place. " You want to go grab a bite to eat?" he asked her as they were bringing the last of the boxes in. " Sure I am getting hungry." she said. So the two of them then headed to a fast food joint and had dinner. They set and talked and even shared a few laughs for a couple of hours before they called it a night and he took her home. " I enjoyed being with you tonight." he told her. She then smiled at him and opened the truck door and stepped out. " I did as well." she said as she shut the truck door.


He wanted to kiss her that night but couldn't. He knew that this night would be the start of something but didn't think it would be nothing more than a friendship because she had secrets and reasons why she left but she wasn't willing to say yet. He too had secrets of his own and they would never be a couple as long as there were secrets between them. He started the truck and drove off into the night with her looking out the window.

Chapter 6


Two months had passed since Virginia left Evendre. She and Andrew had decided to be friends shortly after they went furniture shopping. They both agreed that they did have feelings for each other, but they had to keep the feelings in because they both had secrets. She was getting ready to go with Andrew to a hiking trip and bar be Que and much to her surprise she was looking forward to it. She hadn't really been out much since she settled here two months ago. She was hesitant at first when Andre invited her but with his persuasion she agreed.


She settled on a light pink t-shirt and a pair of stone washed jeans with her boots. She opted to just put her hair in a loose ponytail. She chose a light hoody just in case it got chilly. She then went downstairs to wait on Andrew to show up even though she still had another hour before he picked her up. She was suddenly having second thoughts about calling and canceling but for some reason she just did not have the heart to do it. She needed this hike today even if it was with Andrew's family. She just hoped that he did not tell his family too much about her because the last thing that she wanted was his family thinking that they were together.


She was quickly snapped back to reality by the ringing of the doorbell, so she got up and answered the door. " Hey I am ready just let me get my things." she told him as she shut the door behind him. " I promise you will have fun today. My family is harmless." he told her. He was wanting to make her feel comfortable around them. " That's good I think. You told your family about me then." she said as she picked up her bag and shoved her keys, camera, and cell phone in. " Yes but I can assure you that I made it clear that we were just friends." he told her as he followed her to the front door. She believed him and hoped his family didn't get the idea that they were a couple.


The two of them walked to his truck and got in. " Trust me it will be fine." he said as he started the truck and put it in reverse. " I do trust you and I am glad that we are friends." she said. He then put the truck in drive. His heart sank when she said the dreaded friends word but he knew he had to live with that for now at least. " Hey I am glad we became friends as well." he said to her. She then looked out the window to keep him from seeing the tears. " Andrew trust me if you knew the real reasons as to why I left like I did you won't even want to be friends." she told him and knew she had almost said too much.


He then turned on the radio and they drove in silence the rest of the way because after she told him that he couldn't say a word, not that he didn't want too but he couldn't because he too had secrets and a horrid past that no one knew about and he was hoping no one found out about it either. He reached the place that they were supposed to meet his family at and turned in. " Wow what a lovely place." she said as she grabbed her bag and opened the door. Suddenly he didn't want to be here but it was too late to turn back now.


For the next two hours the two of them forgot the tense moment in the truck and enjoyed the hike and the bar be Que. She even shared some laughs with his sister. " Son she is a keeper." his father said to him. Andrew just laughed at him. He and his father could pass as twins. " Dad don't go getting any ideas. I told you we're just friends." he told him as he took a sip of his coffee. " Sure son whatever you say." he said to him. He then spotted her sitting at a far table by herself and walked over. " You ok?" he asked as he set down next to her. She looked up at him. " Yeah I'm fine I guess. It's just that your family thinks I am the one for you." she told him. He knew there was something else bothering her but he was not going to pry. " We can leave if you want." he said.


She looked at him. " You wouldn't mind if we did." she said to him as she got up. He then smiled at her. " No I wouldn't. Let me just go tell my family we are leaving." he said to her. She then followed him because she couldn't be rude and leave without saying thank-you and bye to them. After the byes were said and hugs given the two of them started towards the truck. " I had fun." she said to him as they got in. He then started the truck and looked at her. " I am glad you did." he said as he started the truck and backed out.


The couple drove in silence for awhile not because they had nothing to say but because they both had a lot to say and neither wanted to tell each other about the secrets they were keeping. They also had a new found understanding and respect for each other as well. He reached her apartment and turned in. " Thanks for coming." he said as she opened the door. She stepped out and smiled. " No thank you for inviting me. I needed this." she said. That time was not a lie. " Good have a good night." he said to her as she turned to shut the truck door. " You too." she said as she shut the door and headed into her apartment. He wanted to kiss her but it just wasn't right at the moment.


He knew that she was the one for him but the timing wasn't right. She was still trying to get her life back after she left like she did. Even though he still had no idea what he knew that he loved her no matter what and that in due time he would reveal his past and she would reveal hers. He put the truck in drive and drove away and this time he had a smile on his face.

© Copyright 2012 hannah johnson (hjohnson79 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847839-The-Accident