*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1848210-The-Shadow-less-Boy
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #1848210
The life of a small boy without a shadow
The shadow less boy wanders the world, in a dull green trench coat, clearly to large for him stumbling from one city to another. His worn blue jeans barely resemble the color they originally were. His old worn down black shoes barely have rubber left on the bottom, holes gape in the back, and with bed roll under arm he searches for something lost long ago.

He envy's not the rich or famous. Face pressed to glass, he stares at that he truly yearns for.  A man and woman, sat watching T.V in a poorly furnished house, worn chairs and torn carpets were the most expensive things in the room. Yet when a small boy and girl storm into the room, demanding the reading of a book recently bought smiles of great happiness appeared on the faces of the worn parents. The shadow less boy pulled frozen face from glass and dragged himself away from the family, face down with arms in pockets. His eyes began to close as the boy imaged life.

A book before bed, orange juice and warm hugs when sick. These are things he wished he had. Instead of tattered books left on buses and benches as beds. Water from streams and cold embraces from the wind when sick.

No more of the real world, not now.

Playing football with Dad, baking with Mum. Dad pretending the boys too skilled and fast for him to stop a goal. Mum showing him just how to stir the cake mixture perfectly, when all he want to do is lick the bowl or spoon.  Mum and Dad tucking him in at night and reading his favorite book, just before they...

a small rock stumbles the once happy boy, forcing him back to the real world. With crusty sleeve he wipes a tear from his eye, shed due to the sudden realization that loving Mum and fun Dad will never be there for him at his first day of school, or cheer him on at his first football match. No, they left him long ago. Face blurred he tries to remember something, a nose, an eye, something...

Another tear, another wipe.

He shakes his head, unkempt hair left and right in desperation, trying to return the dream. It was gone. Left his mind. Heavy clouds over his heads began to cry, the boy wished he could still do the same, however this level of sadness is something he has been at too long to cry like he wished he could.

Don't misunderstand this story, the boy has a shadow. The name was given to him by those who turn heads and whisper as he walks down city streets, their preferred ignorance caused the boy more pain then they ever wish to know. His constant separation from any form of human gave him the title, shadow less boy.

For what is a shadow but something that will never leave your side, even through the darkest hours of ones life. However as nice it is to have his silent follower, he still wishes for something or someone to give him the one thing he wants. The faceless follower who now taunt him with every step could never give him this.

He envy's not the rich or famous. He envy's only those with true happiness that can only be gained by having company you truly love. This is the one thing he wishes for. So next time you see the shadow less boy, don't turn your head. No physical embrace is required, a small smile from the heart will warm his soul and give him the one thing he desires.

True happiness.

© Copyright 2012 John Anders (xela332 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1848210-The-Shadow-less-Boy