*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1848452-The-Cathedrals-Circle
by Nicki
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1848452
Dream I had at 14 - 15 years of age. Wrote it for an English paper in high school. Edited.
As Nicki walks along a dirt road in what appears to be an old English village of the 1800's, she is with a familiar friend who has appeared in previous dreams, though she has never seen this individual's face. Anonymous is her soul mate; she feels this with all her being. Alongside the roads are benches for resting, reading, or what-have-you. Large oak trees with leaves from ruby to magenta and yellow to gold hues provide shade for the inhabitants of the village. Throughout the township there are dwellings with arched thatched roofs, old parlors, salons, boutiques, mom and pop stores, libraries, corner markets, and butcher shops.

As Anonymous and Nicki follow "HER" path, as Nicki comes to realize at the dream's end, they share their thoughts and the happening of their lives and watch the passersby running their daily errands, some resting on benches with a book , newspaper, or magazine in hand while others catch up on the latest gossip over coffee or herbal tea. All can feel the calming fall breeze blow gently across their faces leaving them feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and alive. They are content on this beautiful day; however, this feeling of contentment  spontaneously  metamorphoses into a mass hysteria among the people. Bodies begin to quiver as the clear, comforting sky turns ugly and grey. As the clouds heavy with rain roll in opposite directions, a fierce wind blows the old Oaks' leaves, creating whirlwinds of ruby and gold. Nick, Anonymous, and the villagers become frantic and scurry to take cover.

A woman approaches the both of them with a point of her finger and a warning, "If you don't get underground now the monster will devour you".

Deep within the horde of madness Nicki and her friend separate, Anonymous becoming lost ad mist the crowd. Accepting the hopelessness of finding her companion her heart races as her legs become heavy with fright, and with great haste she runs to seek shelter, a place to hide. The frightened woman breaks away from the myriad of distressed townsfolk and stumbles upon the steps of a Cathedral. Once inside, the heavy, wooden double doors are forcefully closed behind her. As frightened as she is, Nicki is taken aback by the scenic vision that surrounds her within this house of worship. It is unusually empty; there are no pews. Beautiful stained glass windows of various colors perfectly rest in their frames alongside the Cathedral walls stretching upward toward its domed ceiling. The artwork tediously painted on the floor is overwhelmingly astounding. Occupying the floor's center is a circle and radiating from it, much like the points of a star, are colorful mosaic tiles extending to all corners of the church.

With her mind no longer on the horrific storm growing stronger outside and the terror it created within herself and the villagers, Nicki is calm and captivated by the beauty as its spiritual essence seeps into her heart and soul. She understands that she is not here by coincidence.

"I was brought here for a reason.", she thinks to herself.
"Why am I here?", she mentally ponders.

Suddenly she is beckoned to make my way towards the circle. Once stepping into the circle, a wind of tranquility whirls around her body.

She is baffled; "How is this possible" ?

The doors are bolted shut, and there are no cracks in the windows to allow wind to seep through. Nicki shivers; the wind sends chills up her spine as the serene atmosphere envelopes all entire being. Individual locks of hair begin to rise and twist from her scalp; the locks intertwining and weaving throughout, dancing to the rhythm of a mysterious wind. She is now in a deep trance-like daze. Abruptly, she is awakened from this mystical enchanted daze by the sound of one lightly ascending steps. With a quick glance to the far right of the church a ghostly figure of a young boy of about four or five years of age is still, quiet, and staring toward her direction from behind the stairs' rusty railing. As their eyes meet, he speaks in an eager manner though his voice is meek and muffled, his words incomprehensible. Nicki strains to hear as his voice produces echos throughout. Whether he is asking a question, giving a warning, or gifting her with important knowledge, she is not able to conceive. She knows this much is true: he is scared, frightened, and possibly perplexed that a mortal is able to see him.

"I am a mortal; he is a spirit, a ghost", she understands.

He is taken aback as she eases toward his direction for the desire to understand creates an overwhelming curiosity that she can not contain. This experience is far too magical and important to dismiss;

"I must know what he is so anxious to express, to ask, or to inform", she thinks aloud.

"Wait boy, what are you saying? Don't be afraid; I only want to help. Please, don't run away", Nicki pleads as she continues to ease toward him.

Suddenly, with a shocked expression and a gasp of air his body jerks and turns to make his descent down the staircase.

"Please, wait!", she cries out as she quickens her pace. Nicki is nearly at the steps; he's halfway down. Once the stairs have been reached, her destination, the railings drop as the steps rise and both vanish, morphing back into the floor of mosaic tiles.
         
© Copyright 2012 Nicki (gnarlyhead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1848452-The-Cathedrals-Circle