*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1848743-Tristan
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #1848743
A man over hears another woman sending his wife flowers.
Everyday on my way to work I walk past a local flower shop that always has the greatest displays in the windows. I always wanted an excuse to stop in there but never had one, until today. Her name is Tristan, shes the new intern at my office and not matter what I can't stop thinking about her. We've exchanged glances, smiles and the occasional work friendly "hello" but never more not matter how bad I wanted that little extra.
I made a sharp turn and decided to venture through the flower shop. All of the flowers were beyond beautiful. The colors on one bunch of flowers caught my eye. They were so vibrant that the stood out against the others. She'll love them, I thought. I picked up a basket that contained a variety of basic, but colorful, flowers. I took them to the registrar where a man stood asking a lady which would be the best type of flower for a one year anniversary. I smiled to myself in hopes that one day I'll be in this same flower shop buying for the same reasons.
"Who are they going to, Hun?" the young man behind the counter asked.
"Tristan Lowe. 4326 Floor 5 Suite B." I smiled, feeling the gentleman beside me stare.
"Do you want to put anything on the card, ma'am?"
"No, thank you. She doesn't know I'm sending them." After I spoke I overheard the man say "Nevermind," and walk out of the shop. The man behind the counter shrugged and smiled.
"Will this be all for you?" he asked. I shook my head yes and thanked him as I walked out of the shop.
My face must have been glowing because as soon as I stepped off the elevator my receptionist, Betty, smiled and winked.
"We'll talk later?" she questioned as she picked up the phone to answer the incoming call. I nodded and made my way into my office. I pressed the front desk button on my phone and asked Betty to come to my office. A couple second later a smiling Betty poked her head in the door.
"Yes, dear?" she had said making her way to my desk.
"I did it," I said. Her eyes grew as she took a seat opposite me.
"When?"
"Right before work. I've had them delivered here... Today. Did she come into work yet?"
"Yes, dear. She came in early this morning. Even before I came in!" Betty exclaimed. I smiled hoping I'd see her some time today. "So," she began. "What kind of flowers did you get her?"
"I didn't know for sure what kind to get so I got a bouquet that contained different colored flowers. They were just basic but pretty." Betty smiled and stood up.
"I better get back to work. I'll let you know when she gets them."
"Thank you, Betty."
The day seemed to drag on and with each moment that passed and I didn't see Tristan, I began to wonder if I'd see her at all.
I was suddenly jolted from my thoughts when someone knocked on my door.
"Come in," I spit out as I straightened up in my seat.
"Incoming in five," Betty announced quickly. A quick panic shot throughout my entire body but I shook it off as the second knock echoed thought my office. Before I could say anything the door flew open and in walked Tristan, flowers in hand.
"Hi," I managed to spit out.
"Look what I got! I've got no idea who they came from but they are absolutely beautiful!"
I smiled at her comment and said "Ya think so?" Tristan nodded and grinned.
"Sorry to just barge in like this," she said. "I just didn't know who else to share this with." My heart pounded with excitement as I offered her a seat. She thanked me and took the chair in front of me. "I love getting surprises," she started again. "But my husband doesn't do anything like this, so I doubt these are from him."
My hands began to sweat and I felt as if my stomach was in my throat. I couldn't find any words. A husband? Why had I not known this? Why had she been exchanging glances with me? Was I reading into them too much? I tried to smile and show a bit of interest in what she was saying but my heart was in two and I couldn't breathe.
"We've been married a year," I finally heard her say. "and yet nothing at all has changed." I tuned back into her voice, hoping I'd hear that my chances were still alive.
"What needs to be changed?" I questioned.
"Everything. He has no respect for me or anyone for that matter," she sighed. "We want to work on things but..." she paused. "I'm starting to wonder if that's even what I want anymore."
"You deserve better," I spit out. Tristan smiled. Trying to change the subject I said, "Maybe you'll find out who sent those?" I said gesturing towards the flowers.
"Maybe," she said. "Well I better get back to work or the boss might fire me," she winked and left my office.
I grinned and settled back in my chair replaying her every word. Maybe I still do have a chance, I thought.
I went home later that evening still high on great emotion. I wanted to read more into her words but for now I'll allow my heart to hear whatever it wants.
I laid my keys on the table as my phone rang.
"Yeah?" I said as I picked up the phone.
"Hey. It's Betty."
"Oh. Hey, Betty. Sorry I just got home. What's up?"
"I talked to Tristan earlier today," she started. My heart started pounding again.
"What did she say?"
"A little bit of everything. She started on the flowers. She talked about how pretty they were and how she wished she knew who sent them. I wanted so bad to tell her you sent them because she looked so desperate," she paused. "But I kept my mouth shut."
"Thank you," I said. "Although I almost wish you had told her. It would make it so much easier on me. You know she has a husband?"
"Does she? I don't ever see a ring on her finger."
"She said they are having problems and that he hasn't changed since they've been married," I explained. "So I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that my chances with her have yet to expire."
"Well if she doesn't wear the ring she most likely doesn't want anyone to know that she's married. So your chances are more than likely higher than you think." Betty's words warmed my body and I started to feel my confidence rise through the roof.
"Thank you, Betty. I'm going to take a shower. I'll see you tomorrow at the office. Goodnight."
Yawning, I stretched and scooted to the edge of my bed preparing myself for the day ahead. So much ran through my mind while I sipped my morning coffee. Do I need to back off until she comes to me or should I proceed with my advances? I sighed and put my cup in the sink before grabbing my bag and making my way out the door.
I passed the flower shop again which made my heart skip a few beats as I thought about Tristan. I wanted to tell her so bad that I had sent her the flowers but I just couldn't. So for now Betty and I will keep this secret to ourselves.
I walked into the office trying to avoid Tristan at all costs, but no sooner had I made it to my office door I heard her say my name. My heart stopped and I turned around. Tristan stood in front of me, crying.
"What's wrong?" I asked unlocking the door so we could talk in private.
"It's over," she said. "He left me."
"Why?" I asked. I wanted to be happy but couldn't.
"He claimed he overheard something a few days ago." My body started sweating and my mouth somehow became numb. I looked at her.
"What did he overhear?" She shot up and hugged me.
"Thank you for the flowers," she whispered. My heart pounded as I returned the hug.
"How'd you know it was me?"
"He said he overheard a woman sending flowers to me and when I talked to Betty yesterday I asked her if it was anyone in the office that sent them. She said no but she acted like she wanted to tell me more. I said your name and she couldn't even speak."
"I'm sorry he found out," I said. "I didn't mean for anything like that to happen." she shushed me with a quick kiss and said,
"I've waited on this since I started this job. I wasn't happy in my marriage and I knew something wasn't right," she explained.
"I wish I would have told you sooner, Tristan. I just didn't know how."
"I'm just glad you finally did," she smiled and gave me another quick kiss. "Well I better get to work."
"You really don't have to," I started not wanting her to leave. She put her hands in mine.
"How about dinner tonight?"
"That sounds great," I started. "But I still don't want you to leave."
"Believe me, I'll find any reason to come see you." I smiled and allowed her to leave.
"Dinner tonight," I reminded her before she walked out. She smiled blowing me a kiss, I pretended to catch it and put it in my pocket for later.
© Copyright 2012 Brittney (02b14k10 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1848743-Tristan