*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850799-Revenge
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Sample · Crime/Gangster · #1850799
This introduces private detective Barbara Brown and the people around her and her work.
Chapter One

Monday 8th January 2001

Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

5:47PM



Theodore Mahon was doing bench presses. Heavy weights the size of tyres almost crowded either end of the bar and rattled threateningly each time he raised it to arm’s length. The speed at which he lowered and raised the bar was almost frightening. His muscles strained against the weight but he didn’t stop. He kept moving his arms up and down without slowing down.

  Jason Lamont, the gym’s director, watched him as he supervised a weights machine at the other end of the room. He knew that Mahon had a habit of doing things full-pelt, and sometimes he wondered when the man’s body would finally snap with too much working out at a high intensity.

  He finally stopped with his arms straight up with the bar and held it for a few moments. The man who had been spotting him moved his hands to help put it back in the rack, but the man stretched out on the bench said something and he withdrew his hands slowly.

  Jason excused himself from the woman he was helping out, signalling for one of his fellow gym workers to take over, and made his way over to the two men. He reached them as Teddy Mahon finally rested the bar back in the rack with the help of his spotter. He frowned at the older man, disapproval clearly shown on his face.

  “You should go easy there, Teddy. We don’t want any injuries here.”

  Teddy sat up and swung his leg over so he sat on the edge of the bench, resting his arms on his knees. Sweat poured down his body, soaking through his t-shirt. His arms muscles were still twitching from the exertion. The thick mop of dark brown that was situated on his head was plastered down, strands dripping into his eyes. One of his legs was bouncing up and down at a furious pace. His dark eyes looked up at Jason, a deep brown almost hooded by his eyelids.

  “I’m not going to hurt myself, Jase.” He grunted. “You don’t have to check up on me. I’m not a child.”

  “There speaks the daredevil himself.” Jamie Colman grinned, wiping his forehead with a white towel he had draped round his shoulders. Teddy gave him a frowning side-glance but didn’t say anything. Jason eyed the bar and weights.

  “It wasn’t Teddy I was worried about. The way he’s going he’ll wear out my equipment.”

  “Charming, isn’t it?” Teddy grunted. “I come here pretty much every day and you’re more worried about the equipment than my health.”

  “Well, it’s the reason you’re coming in every day doing everything at a hundred miles an hour that I’m worried about the equipment. You work it to death.”

  “I didn’t know you could work pieces of machinery to death.” Jamie grinned.

  Jason met his eyes steadily.

  “At the rate he’s going, there’s a first for everything.” Jason started to turn away but stopped to look down at Teddy, who was running his hands through his hair, sweat flying into the air like visible particles. “Take a few days break, Teddy. You need it. There is such a thing as overloading.”

  He moved away, and Teddy flipped him behind his back.

  “Nosy parker.” He muttered. Jamie frowned at him.

  “Hey, none of that. Jason’s right. You are overloading yourself. You need to slow down.”

  “Speaks the man who hasn’t trained for eight months.” Teddy grunted, pushing himself off the bench. Jamie followed him as they made their way to the changing rooms, scooping up Teddy’s discarded, almost empty water bottle and towel.

  “I have been abroad on duty, Teddy. You can’t really train out in the middle of the desert at the intensity you do.”

  Teddy merely shrugged and stepped into the changing rooms. He went to his locker and slammed it open after he had deciphered the combination.

  Jamie sat on the bench in the centre of the room and watched his friend. They had known each other since they started primary school, and had been friends all the way through. They had briefly parted ways when they left school when Jamie went into the army, but after five years apart they met up again and apart from Jamie going off for stints of duty abroad, they were rarely separated.

  They were very different in terms of appearances and personalities. Jamie was tall and slim with fair hair verging on white-blond and slightly defined muscles on his skinny frame. He was loud, cheeky and wasn’t afraid to voice what he was thinking. Teddy was two inches shy of five-ten, stocky with muscles almost threatening to split whatever clothes he was wearing, and dark hair that he was starting to grow long, already brushing his collar. He was the total opposite to Jamie; quiet, kept to himself. Over the years, very few people had been able to get Teddy out of his shell. Jamie had been one of them.

  Now he watched as Teddy withdrew his things from the locker and started to undress for a shower. His hands were shaking from the intense exercise he had just done, but Jamie knew there was something more.

  “What’s the matter, Teddy?”

  Teddy had taken off his t-shirt to reveal a torso that most men would have loved to have. It was only after almost fourteen years of going to the gym every day that Teddy had maintained a physique to be envious of, but even then Teddy wasn’t happy with it. His eyes fell on Jamie, who was watching him carefully.

  “Nothing’s wrong. I just wanted to work off some useless energy.”

  He thought he spoke calmly, but Jamie heard the shake behind it. And it wasn’t a shake of fear. Teddy was angry.

  “You can’t be angry at Jason, surely. He’s only looking out for your wellbeing.”

  “It’s not Jason.”

  “Then who is making you angry?”

  Teddy paused for a moment, and then stripped off his shorts and boxers. Naked, he picked up a larger towel, a bottle of shower gel, and made his way to the showers. Jamie watched him go, and sat thoughtfully. He had begun to know from a young age when Teddy was troubled. If it was a case he was working on, Teddy would let him know and Jamie would know to leave alone. But it wasn’t that.

  Jamie guessed it must be Barbara. Barbara Brown had been at school with them. She and Teddy had gone to the same university doing the same course and now they had set up a business together, which had been going well for six years now. Jamie had guessed before Teddy had confessed almost a year after the business had set up that Teddy was in love with Barbara. However, Barbara had never seen it and by the time Teddy had been brave enough to ask her for a date, Robert Brown had got there first. Now Barbara lived in Buckden with Robert and a two-year-old daughter. She worked out of her house as a private investigator, Teddy and Barbara’s brother Harry as her partners.

  If it wasn’t a case that was worrying him, it was Barbara.

  Jamie had already decided to ask Teddy by the time Teddy came back, the towel round his waist and his hair wet, this time with hot shower water.

  “It’s about Barbara, isn’t it?”

  Teddy almost missed a step at Jamie’s blunt question. He stared at him for a moment. Then, slowly, he put the shower gel down on the bench and picked up his other towel.

  “You read me like a book, don’t you?”

  “I have known you for twenty-seven years.” Now knowing the cause of Teddy’s attitude, Jamie pressed on gently. “What’s happened now?”

  Teddy had rubbed himself down and picked up a clean pair of underwear, which he pulled on before he spoke.

  “I came back from seeing Ian on Sunday, so I went round hers on Monday. For a moment whilst we were working on some notes, she had her sleeves rolled up to her elbows. And I saw that she was sporting large bruises on her left arm. They looked like finger bruises.”

  Jamie groaned. He could guess the cause of the bruises.

  “Not again. Didn’t you confront her about it?”

  “I asked her where she got them from. She gave me an evasive answer and covered them up.” Teddy pulled on his jeans and did them up. “I could tell by the way she acted that Robert has been hitting her again.”

  Jamie shook his head sadly. Barbara had been another one of their friendship group since they were small. He liked Barbara. She was petite, but over the years she had developed from a shy girl into a spunky young woman who was quick off the mark with retaliations, something Jamie looked forward to whenever he was back home.

  “I don’t get it. Robert used to be so attentive to her when they first got together.”

  “And then they got married and his attitude changed.” Teddy grunted, slipping on a white shirt with pale blue stripes. He buttoned it up slowly. “It’s like now he’s got something to control and he’s making full use of it.”

  “Barbara would never let anyone treat her like that. She would kick them to the kerb. Remember Tom when I came up to visit before I went to Saudi?”

  “Yeah, I remember. She did a right number on him when he wouldn’t leave her alone and then hit her when she refused to go home with him.” Teddy smiled at the memory. “I don’t think Tom had ever had any woman stand up to him. And to have them break his nose as well in front of his mates must’ve put him down where he belongs.”

  Jamie sighed and stood up, deciding that it was time to have a shower. He put a foot on the bench and started to untie the laces on his trainer.

  “How can she be controlled by Robert? I was sure she wouldn’t allow it.”

  “She truly loves him.” Teddy said sadly. “You can tell she does. And you can also tell she’s scared of him.” He sighed as he did up the last button before reaching for a grey sweater. “I just wish she would leave him. He’s going to kill her one day.”

  It was the way he said it that made Jamie pause.

  “If you’re going to think about trying to make Robert back off a bit, be careful. Robert is a policeman as well. He could arrest you if you assault him.”

  “He may be a policeman but Superintendent Gilbert doesn’t tolerate domestic violence, especially by his own men.”

  “Has Barbara told him?”

  “No. She won’t. And I know she won’t want me to tell him, either. It’s between them, not me.”

  Jamie frowned.

  “But nobody likes him at work. You’ve told me yourself.”

  “And everybody guesses that there’s a hold over Barbara and nobody likes it.”

  “Why doesn’t she say anything?” Jamie shook his head. “I can’t believe this of her. She would do the right thing, not cling onto the wrong thing.”

  Teddy shrugged as he packed his bag.

  “Barbara must have her reasons.” He glanced at his watch, which he had tucked into one of his trainers. “Shit, I got to go. Barbara wanted me to get back for six. It’s nearly that now.”

  “Give my love to Barbara.” Jamie said sweetly. Teddy grinned as he slipped on his trainers.

  “I’ll give you her love back if you so wish.” He joked.

  Jamie’s eyes glinted. Teddy was so engrossed with finishing his packing that he missed it.

  “Please. Then if you happen to come along, we can have a threesome.”

  Teddy shuddered at the thought.

  “That’s too gross to think about.”

  “That’s not what you said last night.” Jamie raised his voice enough so that the two men coming out the showers heard him. Teddy groaned and tried to slap him round the side of the head.

  “Piss off.”

  Jamie ducked away laughing. He was still laughing as Teddy left.





Chapter Two

Monday 8th January

Buckden

6:26PM



Teddy pulled his red Fiat Punto up on the pavement curb outside Barbara’s house in Park Road behind a blue Smart car. A handsome black Corsa was parked in the driveway behind Barbara’s silver KA. Guessing that she had a client in, Teddy locked his car and used his key to let himself in the side door.

  A woman’s voice floated to him from the utility room as he shut the door.

  “No, no, Nancy. No throwing balls at Auntie Charlie.” A thump came to his ears as the object in question was dropped to the floor. Then another female voice came to Teddy.

  “I didn’t like him, Freya. Really, I didn’t.”

  “Honestly, Charlie. You don’t like any of my boyfriends.”

  “I liked Max.”

  “Max was an arsehole.”

  “If you say so. But I don’t.” There was a pause, and Teddy could hear Charlotte moving around. They were probably at the dining room table. “He seemed charming, but he didn’t feel like a nice person. Felt like an act.”

  “I don’t think it was.” The first woman’s voice sounded dreamy as it always did when she was in lust with someone. “He’s very…”

  “Arrogant?” Chipped in the other woman.

  “I was going to say distinguished. Very nice body as well.”

  “Talking about your latest fantasy, are we, Freya?” Teddy decided to make an entrance then, dropping his gym bag on the floor by the fridge as he entered the kitchen.

  Two women at the dining table in the room adjoining the kitchen looked round as he entered. One woman was about Teddy’s age, seated at the table with a load of papers out in front of her. She was thin and wiry with a face to match, stunning red hair that was tied tidily behind her in a very good French plait. Her clothes clung to her thin frame as if she had no fat on her. On her lap was a pretty toddler with blue ribbons in her dark hair, colouring at something in an open book on the table. She looked like if she made a false move the woman holding her would break into a thousand pieces.

  The other woman was in her early twenties, similar colourings to the first woman, bright red hair tied over one shoulder. She was fuller-figured, a trim size twelve clad in a green sweater that showed off her red hair and stunning green eyes. Her jeans also fit snugly. She was barefoot.

  The first woman scowled at Teddy.

  “Piss off, Teddy.”

  Teddy grinned. The love-hate relationship he shared with Freya Raymond always managed to flourish somehow. Freya had been a friend of Barbara’s since sixth form and she had taken an instant dislike to Teddy for some reason. It had softened down to they got on but not necessarily in a friendly way. Her younger sister Charlotte was more helpful, her vibrancy and vivacious personality matched Jamie’s, and that’s what Teddy liked about her. It was the sister he looked at now.

  “Care to tell me the gory details, Charlie, or do I have to prise them out by pulling out your fingernails?”

  Charlotte grinned. She knew Teddy was like his name – a teddy bear. He was muscular and could use his weight when he needed to, but he didn’t throw it around. Unless under duress, he was full of wind.

  “We were discussing the date Freya had last night. Joshua Morey, someone from the auction room in Huntingdon.”

  Teddy frowned as he tried to remember the name. It sounded familiar.

  “Joshua Morey? Didn’t he used to go to school with us? Was in the year above us?”

  “That’s the one.” Charlotte indicated her sister. “Freya’s got a thing for him.”

  “Can you blame me?” Freya protested, her eyes sparkling. “He’s gorgeous.”

  “Reptilian comes to mind.” Charlotte retorted, shuddering visibly. Teddy noticed the shudder.

  “Not your type, Charlie?”

  “Hell, no.” She frowned at Freya. “I don’t think he’s honest, either.”

  Freya shook her head dismissively as she hugged toddler Nancy closer to her as she coloured in a giant balloon.

  “You’ve been stuck around Barbara too long. Loosen up a little bit. I think one of Joshua’s friends could do that for you.”

  “Hey, sort your love life out before you deal with mine. And certainly not with one of those arseholes.”

  “I think I have.” Freya’s voice was soft, her eyes sparkling but almost unseeing. Her face, not for the first time but the first time in a long time, was glowing. Teddy could see that fireworks were going to go off shortly.

  “Why don’t you like him, Charlie?” He asked, straightening his collar that had been untidy under his sweater. “Did you not like him because he wasn’t young enough?”

  Charlotte snorted rudely.

  “You haven’t met him yet.”

  “He can meet him soon.” Freya put in. “And he’ll see what I mean by gorgeous.”

  Teddy grinned.

  “Maybe I’m not the best person to ask.”

  “Barbara’s going to meet him.”

  Teddy paused. He had never spoken to how he felt about Barbara to Freya but somehow she seemed to know. And considering he kept what he did with Barbara strictly plutonic, it was hard to see how she had figured this out.

  “And that’s supposed to persuade me how?”

  “You can show off your dancing skills in the club.” Freya’s eyes flicked up and down Teddy’s figure appreciatively. “You two dance very well together.”

  There was one thing that Freya was appreciative when it came to Teddy and that was his dancing. At school Teddy and Barbara had mucked about with dance moves at their houses, and then put their choreographed dances to the test when facing a dance-off during their first year. They beat their opponents, members of the dance team, hands down, and now were hankered after for their dance moves.

  “No, thanks. My body’s taking a break.” He still remembered when he last danced he tore a muscle in his arm doing a break dancing move at a friend’s thirtieth birthday party.

  Charlotte wasn’t going to let him go off lightly. She nudged his arm.

  “Come on, Teddy. Your dancing is something to die for.”

  “You say that without falling at my feet.” Teddy shot back. Charlotte shrugged with a non-committal attitude.

  “I don’t go for it in the workplace.”

  “I wish I had your opinion on that.” Teddy replied. But he said this sotto voce as Charlotte moved away towards the counter.

  Then there came the sound of footsteps on the stairs and Barbara Brown came into the dining room. Nancy looked up from her colouring book and dropped her pens, reaching out with both arms to her.

  “Mummy!”

  Barbara smiled and went to Freya, taking Nancy and scooping her daughter up, hugging her to her.

  “Hey, sweetie. I won’t be long now. Almost finished.”

  “Telly?” Nancy asked innocently. Barbara laughed.

  “You can later, but not at the moment. Be good for Auntie Freya and Auntie Charlie, okay?”

  Nancy didn’t look happy about it but nodded meekly. She knew better than to argue with her mother, even at her small age.

  Barbara kissed her daughter and handed her back to Freya. Then she turned to Teddy. Every time Teddy saw her, he could not deny that Barbara was an amazing woman to look at. She was petite, athletic build with a slim waist which had once been thicker until Barbara had upped her training and took off half a stone from her hips and thighs. Her hair was cut short with the fringe straightened and flicked to one side, half-falling over one unmade-up eye, giving her, Teddy thought, a slick and sexy look. She was wearing a black polo-necked jumper with a black cardigan over it and black jeans that once had hugged her hips but now fit well but a little loose around the waist. She was wearing black socks on her feet. Her soft lips, colourful without the need of makeup, curved into a smile when she met his eyes.

  “Hey, Teddy. When did you get in?”

  “Literally just walked in.”

  “You mind stepping in for Harry?”

  Teddy shrugged. He didn’t really mind as long as he was in the same room with Barbara. And Harry not being there was a bonus for him.

  “Always.”

  Barbara’s eyes twinkled.

  “I know you would.” She turned back to Nancy, leaning on the chair next to her as she spoke, showing Teddy the perfect movement of her back muscles as she moved. “Freya, could you fill out one of those forms and prepare it in for signature? The client’s name is Kelsey MacLeod. Can you do that now?”

  “Sure.” Even with her weak-looking bones, Freya managed to hitch Nancy up and held her out to Charlotte. “Come on, Charlie. Your turn with Nancy.”

  Charlotte shuddered.

  “Great. I hate babies.”

  But she approached nevertheless and took the toddler from Freya’s hands. Barbara laughed as Charlotte awkwardly propped her daughter on her hip. Even though Charlotte held her like she was about to explode, she was holding her firmly enough so there was no worry that Charlotte was going to drop her. Nancy was safe. Teddy was grinning at Charlotte’s discomfort.

  “You say that now. Wait until you actually have one.”

  Charlotte made a face at him and turned away. Barbara grinned and swept a theatrical arm towards the stairs.

  “After you, sir.”





Chapter Three

Monday 8th January

6:33PM



Teddy led the way up the stairs and turned left at the top. There was a long corridor that matched the length of the house. Three doors were on the left of him, three on the right, and one in the wall at the end opposite him. Everything was painted cream, and everything looked clean. Barbara somehow managed to clean the house as well as work as a private investigator round the clock.

  Barbara’s study was the last door on the right, which Teddy made his way towards this room, Barbara close behind him. At the door, Teddy stopped and moved back to let Barbara get past and go in first. Their arms brushed, and Teddy let out an involuntary gasp. He had not been expecting the static shock up his arm at the touch of cloth over skin. Barbara looked up at him, obvious worry in her eyes.

  “You all right, Teddy?” She whispered.

  Teddy struggled for an excuse to say.

  “Standing in a draft.” He managed to say.

  Barbara looked as though she didn’t believe him, but she let it go. She gave a flicker of a smile, and opened the door to her office. Stepping inside, she held the door open for Teddy to follow her, speaking into the room.

  “This is one of my partners, Theodore Mahon.” She politely indicated the client for Teddy as he stepped into the room. “This is Kelsey MacLeod.”

  Teddy looked towards the client, and his jaw almost dropped down to the floor. The woman who stood up at their entrance was about their age, and she looked ever so delicate. Her frame was small and nice to look at, and her honey-gold hair with vague lines of brown at the roots shone so startlingly in the warm light emitted by the lights in the office. Her face was small and oval, with eyes so dark they were almost black. They didn’t fit her face but they also stood out for her, giving her a startling look. She was clad in a pale lilac pencil skirt and white blouse that clung to her frame. A matching jacket hung over the back of the chair. She looked like a beautiful china doll.

  Almost in a daze, Teddy held out his hand towards her.

  “How do you do, Miss MacLeod?”

  Kelsey looked at the hand with a frown and addressed Barbara with an almost haughty tone.

  “How many partners do you have? Because, including this man, you have those two floozies in the dining room as well.”

  “Just the two.” If Barbara was annoyed by the fact that her two friends had been described as ‘floozies’ she didn’t show it. “Mr Mahon and Mr Slide. We work similar caseloads so it’s unlikely we’ll all be in the office at the same time.”

  “And it just happened to be my lucky day.” Teddy added, flicking his eyes ever so swiftly up and down the woman’s figure. Kelsey noticed this look and put her hands on her hips, regarding him with an unrecognizable expression.

  “And it just has to be the one who thinks he can charm all the snakes in the pit.”

  Teddy raised an eyebrow at Barbara. He hadn’t been expecting to be revoked that quickly. Barbara smiled and spread her hands at him.

  “She said it, not me.”

  Teddy frowned at Kelsey.

  “You’re charming, aren’t you, Miss MacLeod?”

  “Only if men hit on me five seconds after setting their sticky eyes on me.”

  Barbara smirked at Teddy, making a gun with her hand and pointing it at him.

  “Busted, Theodore.” She teased.

  “Shut up.”

  Kelsey snorted at their interaction.

  “Do you always act like this in front of clients?”

  “Only when Teddy starts it.” Barbara moved quickly away from Teddy’s arm range and moved round to her side of the desk. “Miss MacLeod, you may speak freely in front of Mr Mahon. If he shows the slightest sign of being aroused, however, I’ll make him leave the room. That okay with you?”

  “That’s just fine.” Kelsey said frostily, sitting back down. Teddy gave her a vaguely amused look before settling down in the spare chair situated in one corner of the room near the door.

  Barbara sat down in her leather swivel chair and curled her legs up underneath her body. Despite being in a business capacity, she seemed very comfortable. Teddy guessed that this might be because she was working out of her home. She focused her pleasant gaze on Kelsey.

  “If you would care to go over the details again for Mr Mahon’s sake, Miss MacLeod?”

  Kelsey gave Teddy a cursory glance over her shoulder that showed disapproval but she went over the details again as Barbara requested.

  “Ever since my mother died, my father and I have been closer than we used to. Despite the fact he drinks heavily and can get violent, we do care for each other. But lately he had been getting very distracted, going as far as refusing to talk to me for days.” She started to twist and clasp her fingers almost frantically. “Then he disappeared and I’m scared that something’s happened to him.”

  “Do you think he might de dead?” Teddy asked.

  Kelsey made a bizarre movement between a yes and a no with her head.

  “I don’t know. I don’t think so. But if he just disappears into thin air without letting me know where he was going, there is that possibility.”

  “What triggered these lapses in behaviour?”

  This time Kelsey looked round at him with a vague frown of confusion marring her pretty face.

  “Lapses?”

  “Mr Mahon has a Masters in psychology.” Barbara explained. She knew what Teddy was inquiring. “He loves trying to impress people with his jargon.”

  Teddy smiled sweetly at the woman he loved.

  “Anything for you, Barbara-dear.”

  Barbara ignored this comment. She focused her attentions on Kelsey.

  “What Mr Mahon means is what particular situation caused him to behave so strangely and blank you for a long time?”

  “I think it all started just after Christmas. 28th December, I think. There was news on the television that a homeless old man had been found severely beaten in Huntingdon High Street and that he was fighting for his life in Hinchingbrooke Hospital.”

  “I remember that. He died on Sunday.”

  Kelsey nodded.

  “Since we heard about this attack my father has been acting very weirdly. He locked himself in his room and began to watch the news on his television in his room with such an intensity I got seriously worried for his health.”

  “How did you know he was missing?”

  “I was up in Northampton for a few days and I came back about four yesterday. I went up to his room as soon as I got in, and I found the door unlocked and he was nowhere in the house. There was no note about where he had gone, either.”

  “Couldn’t he have gone to a friend’s?” Teddy asked. “Did you call them?”

  Kelsey gave him a look of ‘what do you think I did?’

  “First thing I did. It didn’t take very long because he doesn’t have many close friends and I don’t have all of their numbers. I called around the people who see him frequently – bars and so forth – but they haven’t seen him since Saturday night when he made his usual rounds.”

  “Have you called the police?”

  “Yes. And so far no unidentified persons have been found.” She turned back to Barbara, almost controlled pleading in her face. “I’m really worried about him, Mrs Brown. I think something’s happened to him.”

  Barbara had sat back in her chair and linked her fingers across her flat stomach. Teddy loved the way she didn’t show anything on her face when she thought of something. It was one of the things that made her good at her job.

  “What do you wish me to do, Miss MacLeod?” She asked quietly.

  Kelsey sat forward, looking a little more animated. Her eyes sparkled.

  “I’ve heard that you can find people where the police can’t. Your father was a police officer when he was alive…”

  “That doesn’t mean I can find a needle in a haystack, Miss MacLeod.” Barbara cut her short calmly.

  “But it means you are not within the confines of the law to use your techniques to find my father.” Kelsey pressed on. “I want to know that he’s safe, but I have no idea where he is.”

  Teddy sat forward, running his hands back and forth each other.

  “Do you think you can supply us with a list of contacts and places he frequented, Miss MacLeod? We can double-check those before we go any further with this.”

  Kelsey gave a not-so-nice smirk and turned to him.

  “You don’t trust me?” She asked, her eyes glinting. Teddy shrugged. He was not unnerved by her now after the initial surprise of her beauty.

  “We like to check things ourselves. Trust me.” He winked. “I’m very good at double-checking things.”

  “In more ways than one.” Barbara retorted. She picked up a pen and scribbled something down on the pad to one side of her desk mat. Then she tore the page off and stood up, handing the page to Kelsey. “If you would leave all the details you can think of with Freya downstairs, then we can get to work.”

  Kelsey picked up a red leather handbag that was placed on the foot by her feet. She reached into it and retrieved a small cream-coloured business card, which she handed to Barbara as she took the paper Barbara held out.

  “Here is my mobile number just in case you find anything. My address is on the back.” She stood up, fluid movement put into every motion she used. “I would like frequent updates on what is happening.”

  “Of course.” Barbara had heard this line quite a few times. She came round the desk and walked towards the door, holding the door open for the other woman. “We will let you know of any developments as soon as they come up.”

  Kelsey picked up her jacket and slipped it on, ignoring Teddy’s gesture to help, the latter whom had stood up as Barbara had moved to the door. She holstered her bag onto her shoulder and walked to the door. She stopped in the doorway and turned back to Barbara. Even though they were about the same height, Kelsey looked so much more fragile and smaller than Barbara. She looked up at Barbara with her black eyes.

  “Please find my father soon.” She said quietly. “He’s an old man. In this cold weather, he could be dead.”

  Barbara smiled reassuringly. She looked a lot more confident than she felt about an old man’s chances in cold weather.

  “We’ll find him, Miss MacLeod.” She looked across the room to her partner. “Teddy, would you please show Miss MacLeod downstairs?”

  Teddy made to move across the room but Kelsey held up a hand and regally waved him away.

  “I can find my own way, thank you.”

  And with that parting remark, she turned and they heard her heels clicking as she went down the corridor. Barbara shut the door and looked at Teddy. Teddy realized he had been holding his breath and breathed out slowly.

  “Wow.” He managed at last. “Charming woman.”

  “Extremely.”

  She moved away from the door and back to her desk. Teddy followed her and leant on the back of the chair Kelsey had previously occupied.

  “You want my opinion on this?”

  “It’s always welcome.”

  “It’s downright weird. She leaves a disturbed old man alone in a house and he goes wandering off. Sounds more like neglect on her part.”

  Barbara grinned at him.

  “You’re just sore because she rejected your advances.”

  “That, too.” Teddy saw that she was thinking. “Well?”

  “You’re right about leaving her father alone for a few days. He could’ve done anything in that time.”

  “If I was an old man and my daughter left me alone for a few days, heaven knows what I’ll get up to.” Teddy mused. Barbara grinned. Her eyes twinkled.

  “Knowing you, it won’t be any different from when you were younger.” She glanced at the clock on her desk, and her grin disappeared, a deep frown replacing it. “Where the hell is Harry? He was supposed to be here two hours ago. We have to finish off that Nelson Keller file today.”

  “I could help you with that.”

  “Thanks for the offer, but Harry and I are more acquainted with the details.” She glanced at her watch, a small face with a slim metallic silver wristband, and ran a hand over her tired eyes. “I’ll call him later. Perhaps he’d forgotten.”

  “Why not call him now?”

  “I’m going to call Frank and ask him if he’s got anything on missing persons since Kelsey MacLeod checked.”

  She settled down at her desk, a bit more formally than she had earlier, and reached for the phone, flipping up the lid of her laptop with the other hand as she did so. Teddy watched her for a moment. He liked watching her move.

  “Do you want me to call Harry for you?”

  “No, don’t bother. He’s my brother, after all.” Barbara switched on her laptop. “He’ll be around eventually. I just need to give him a shove.”

  “How big a shove?”

  Barbara shrugged.

  “Depends what mood he’s in.”

  Teddy hovered by the chair. He wanted to do something and he felt like a loose end.

  “You want a cup of tea?”

  Barbara, in the process of dialling, looked up at him. She smiled a tired but very grateful smile at Teddy, a smile that made Teddy’s heart ache to go round the desk and comfort her.

  “That would be great, Teddy. Thanks.”

  Teddy winked at her. He wanted to get her to laugh.

  “Anything for you, darling.”

  Barbara’s smile faded a tiny bit as she frowned at his choice of words.

  “No more darling, Theodore. Especially in front of Robert.”

  At the mention of Robert’s name, Teddy momentarily hesitated as he started turning away. He knew they should breach the subject sooner or later, even if Barbara avoided it as best she could. He turned back to look at Barbara, who had finished dialling and had sat back as the ringing tone sounded in her ear.

  “Actually, Babs, I meant to ask you about Robert…”

  “Hello, can I speak to Frank Sandy, please?” Barbara cupped the receiver with her hand. “Not now, Teddy. Just leave it. We’re fine.”

  “You sure?”

  Barbara waved a hand at him in reply, and turned her chair so the chair’s back was to Teddy. Teddy knew there was nothing he could do at that time, and silently left the room.





Chapter Four

Monday 8th January 2001

6:59PM



Freya was looking down the list Kelsey MacLeod had given her a moment before as Teddy came down the stairs and entered the dining room.

  “Cromwells, Samuel Pepys, The Mitre…all the places that this guy hung out at were pubs.”

  “Nice to know he kept up some habits.” Teddy commented, moving across to the kitchen, stepping over a pile of building blocks that had not been there when he had last been in the room moments a while before.

  “Not just booze, I’ll bet.” Charlotte grunted. She turned just as Nancy, who was standing by the fridge, pulled open the fridge door and pulled milk out from the rack in the door. It fell from her hands and splashed onto the floor, glass shattering around her small feet.

  Charlotte lifted Nancy away before she could make a move to pick up a piece of glass and stood her up away from the mess. Charlotte’s face was creased in an angry frown, scolding Nancy fiercely.

  “That’s very bad, Nancy. You are not to open the fridge door without an adult present. And nobody was present. You’re very bad.”

  Nancy’s face screwed up as it turned red and she started to cry. Charlotte groaned in frustration.

  “God, I hate kids.”

  Nancy pushed past Charlotte and ran towards the living room, but Teddy caught her as she went past him and scooped her up. Hoisting her up onto his hip, he cuddled her to him as he looked at Charlotte over her shaking shoulder.

  “She is just a child, Charlie. She doesn’t know better.”

  “You would say that, being her godfather.” Charlotte snapped.

  Shaking her head, Charlotte turned away and went to the sink. She opened the door and picked out a dustpan and brush. Slamming the door shut, she straightened up and picked up a dishcloth from the sink before going back to the mess.

  Teddy sat down in one of the chairs around the dining room table and rocked Nancy gently. Nancy was still sobbing, but as Teddy kept rocking, she quietened down and finally the sobs were silent. Freya watched him with a mixture between approval and jealousy.

  “You’re such a natural with kids.”

  Teddy managed a wry grin over Nancy’s shoulder.

  “You get used to them when you’ve got triplets for baby siblings.”

  Freya shrugged and tapped a pen against the paper she had written the places Trevor MacLeod went to.

  “That Kelsey MacLeod is really something, isn’t she?” She commented. “Very cool, almost clinical.”

  “Let’s hope her mother had strong genes.” Charlotte said, putting the pieces of glass into the bin from her dustpan. “She doesn’t look like her father at all.”

  Teddy frowned.

  “How do you know?”

  “She left a photograph with us as well.”

  Freya picked up a snapshot lying near her elbow and handed it to Teddy, who tried to juggle Nancy in his arms as he reached for it.

  “This is him about two years ago. Apparently the last photo ever taken of him and he hasn’t changed much.”

  Teddy took the photograph and looked at it as Nancy started to doze on his shoulder. Trevor MacLeod stared back at him next to Kelsey in the back of someone’s garden during the summer. He was tall and broad, with signs of alcohol excess protruding over his waistline. His hair was grey and receding badly. He looked like any other normal man on the street. There did not seem to be anything special about him at all. Even the clothes he wore were boring and ordinary. Teddy looked up at Charlotte.

  “Think MacLeod was a bottle blond as a young man?”

  Charlotte shook her head as she cleaned up the milky mess on the floor with the dishcloth. Some of it was trickling under the fridge.

  “The young lady has to be a very dark brown judging by her roots. MacLeod’s got blue eyes so chances are he was blond before he greyed up.”

  Teddy knew what this meant from the simple biology he had learnt at school.

  “The mother must’ve been a brunette. But it’s not uncommon for one parent with blond hair to be the parent of a child with dark hair if the other parent has dominant genes.” He pointed out.

  “There’s something not right about her.” Freya mused, picking up the photograph and looking down at it herself. “Who would leave an old man who was showing to be slightly disturbed on their own?”

  “Practically everybody.” Charlotte grunted, squeezing the dishcloth over the sink. Freya frowned at her.

  “Everybody with no conscience.” She countered.

  “A stunner with no conscience.” Teddy grinned at the thought. “Nice combination.”

  Charlotte’s eyes glinted at him as she glanced slyly over her shoulder at him.

  “Got you good, did she?”

  “Everybody gets me good.” Teddy then noticed a steaming mug on the heated oven top. “Is that for Babs?”

  Charlotte looked where he was looking.

  “Yeah, I made it just before you came down. Should be cooled enough to drink now.”

  Freya put her pen down and held her arms out to Teddy.

  “Pass Nancy here, Teddy. I’ll hold her now.”

  “Thanks, Freya.”

  Teddy passed a now slumbering Nancy over to Freya, who took Nancy as if she was about to explode. With her tiny and delicate frame, Teddy was amazed Freya did not shatter into a thousand pieces when she placed the toddler on her knee.

  Freya then looked up at him with increasing worry growing in her solemn eyes. Her voice was quiet as she spoke.

  “Did you ask Babs about those bruises she’s got on her arm?”

  Teddy knew what subject they were breaching and also lowered his voice.

  “Not yet. I don’t think asking her now is the right time.”

  Freya shook her head in disbelief.

  “I can’t believe she’s cutting her own throat with this. She’s got to report him. She can’t become a hypocrite.”

  Teddy glanced at the sleeping girl on Freya’s lap. The child seemed oblivious from what was going on around her.

  “I think she’s trying to stay together for Nancy’s sake. She doesn’t want Nancy to be split over them.”

  “Has she told you this?” Freya demanded.

  Teddy knew as well as Freya that Barbara had never said a thing about it. He met her eyes squarely, trying his best to defend her closest friend.

  “I know her, Freya. She believes in happy families.” He held out his arms to take Nancy from Freya’s arms. “I’ll take Nancy up. She needs some sleep.”

  “You can’t undress her.”

  “I won’t. I’ll put her on the bed and Barbara can deal with her later.”

  He took the sleeping child from Freya and carried her carefully upstairs. Laying his goddaughter down on her small bed in a little room opposite Barbara’s office, he wondered if what he had said about Barbara was right; that she was staying with Robert because of Nancy.

  He knew Robert loved his daughter immensely and would do anything to keep her with him, even if it meant ruining Barbara’s career. Teddy also knew Barbara loved her daughter, and she loved her career, but he was not able to tell whether she loved Robert now as she did when they were at university. And he was not prepared to ask her, even if it meant saving herself from serious damage.

  Steeling himself away from the sleeping form of the toddler, he entered the office just as Barbara finished her conversation on the phone.

  “Okay, thanks, Richard. Bye.”

  She placed the phone back and sat back, frowning into space. The mug Charlotte had brought up was, Teddy noticed, untouched. Barbara had not made an attempt to draw the mug across on the coaster towards her.

  Teddy cocked his head to one side to catch Barbara’s gaze.

  “Penny for your thoughts?”

  Barbara came out of her personal trance. She looked worried.

  “Frank’s not at the station.” She bit her lip. “He’s in hospital with pancreatic cancer. Apparently he knew he had cancer and didn’t bother to get it treated. He collapsed late last night at his home and has been in hospital since.”

  Teddy was surprised. A distant cousin of Barbara’s, Frank Sandy was a Detective Inspector at the Cambridgeshire Police Headquarters in Huntingdon, and Barbara’s primary contact, getting hold of her if she was needed for a bit of digging or Barbara calling him for information. The deal had lasted for five years, and now he was in hospital with a life-threatening condition.

  “Why didn’t he get it treated? He could die. He knows how dangerous cancer can be.”

  “Apparently he didn’t have the time.” Barbara tapped the thick file near her elbow on the desk. “This Keller file was taking up a lot of our time.”

  “That’s no excuse.” Teddy said sternly. “He should’ve done something about it. His father died of cancer. He should know better.”

  “You know what Frank’s like, Teddy. Stubborn as a mule.”

  “Takes one to know one.” Teddy shot back. Barbara gave him a wry smile and ignored this jib.

  “Anyway, Frank’s boss said that he’ll have a look for me. I’m going in to see what he’s found.”

  “Any idea how ill Frank is?”

  “Richard wasn’t told. But he says I can go at visiting hours and see how he’s doing.” Another wry smile touched her soft lips. “He’ll like me to see him, cheer him up a little.”

  “You going over now?”

  “After I’ve had this.” Barbara sat forward and picked up the mug she now noticed. “I need to type up my notes. That should take about twenty minutes.”

  “Shall I call Harry and check where he is?”

  “Don’t worry about it. I’ll do it.” Barbara sipped her tea and put the mug down before switching on her computer. “I need to ask him about his son’s birthday party.”

  “Okay.” Teddy turned away. He was at the doorway when he suddenly turned back. “Oh, by the way, Jamie sends his love.”

  Barbara turned on a genuine smile, which sent shivers down Teddy’s spine.

  “Glad to know he got back all right. There were a load of casualties with his group.”

  “He’s still in good fighting order.”

  Barbara’s eyes glinted.

  “I can tell. You’re limping.”

  “That’s how I walk, all day and every day.” Teddy stuck his tongue out at her. Barbara laughed and pushed a hand at him.

  “Out.”
© Copyright 2012 Kate Stofer (buddiator at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1850799-Revenge