*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1851700-A-Misunderstanding
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1851700
Two men meet and begin to talk
A Misunderstanding


         Two old men sat on a bench surrounded by dead grass and withered trees. Off to the left of them was an abandoned playground, to the right was an abandoned city. The man on the left wore old tattered clothes, something only a long-time beggar would wear. The man on his right wore a suit, worthy of someone who defiantly important.
         “How did it all come to this?” The old beggar asked, looking to the smartly dressed man.
         He leaned back on the bench, his body tired and old. “You expect me to know?”
         He snorted. “With a getup like that? I expect you to know everything.”
         The man laughed. “I took these clothes from the store when they abandoned it. I’m not going to die the way I lived.”
         “Wish I’d of thought of that. It’s too late now. Never thought I’d die like this.” He turned his tired eyes to the sky. It was getting dark now, the sky was reddening. “Look, the Earth seems to know too. The heavens bleed.”
         He snorted. “You a writer or something?”
         “Naw, nothing like that.” He said, smiling, though it was more of a grimace. “I’m Shane.”
         “Johnny Knight,” the man said. “No last name?”
         “No. Just Shane. Any family?” He asked, his eyes still looking towards the sky.
         “Once, before all of this began. Hailey. She was a pretty little thing, brown hair, beautiful doe eyes.” Johnny had a small smile on his face. “You?”
         “No. What happened to her?”
         “Cancer.” He said. “It’s funny, I’m kind of glad she died of something so normal.” He sighed. “I don’t think I would have had the courage to kill her.”
         “No kids or relatives?”
         “We never had the chance, or the money. Relatives have all died now. You?” He shifted, now leaning forward with his head supported by his hand.
         “They got them, all dead.” He leaned forward as well. “I barely escaped. Those bastards are fast.”
         “I know, I was almost caught as well.” He looked over to Shane. “You know what’s the worst part about all of this?”
         “What?” He said, looking back.
         “You can’t even tell who’s who. You could be sitting right next to an alien and not even know it.” Johnny had a smile on his face as he said it.
         Shane laughed, long and hard. “I should have known. You almost had me. Really. I was this close to implanting you.” He said, revealing a wiggling organism in his hand. It looked like a very small pink squid, only more round and with more tentacles. “I guess there are no humans left here.” His posture suddenly straitened, he didn’t seem as old as he first looked. “Give a warning sign next time, you know we don’t survive the process twice.”
         He kept his smile. “Sure thing.” He rose. “I should go now, Never know when humans may be lurking somewhere.”
         “In this dump? This was one of the first places we invaded. I doubt any would be left.” Shane said, standing. “But I don’t care what you do. I have other places to go.” He walked off, leaving Johnny alone.
         That was close. He thought, rising. Another minute and he would have had me. I’ll have to be more careful. He began walking in the opposite direction. Last time I ever go outside for a moment.

The End
© Copyright 2012 Nightcat444 (nightcat444 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1851700-A-Misunderstanding