*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852012-The-Sorceress-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1852012
A young Sorceress is told she must save the world from all evil
There was thick black smoke covering the ground stretching as far as any human eye could see. In the middle of it all stood a figure. Her face was ghostly pale; her eyes were as black as the night sky; and her lips could be mistaken for blood. When she elevated a single wooden staff, the smoke began to swirl up around her. She gave a loud ear-piercing cackle. But the earth still was not seen when the smoke rose up; only dead bodies scattered everywhere. The cackling stopped. “My eyes are always watching!” She screeched. “You will never be away from my sight!”





Chapter One - Trella



Kaya sat up from her sleep. She wiped the cold sweat from her thinned face, and brushed back her long brown hair behind her ears. It was still night yet. Slightly after midnight, she calculated with the moon. The stars sparkled peacefully in that sky. She stared up at them and smiled. They were her only hope and strength when she was alone. The dream was instantly forgotten. The air gave a slightly cool autumn breeze forcing her to wrap her arms around herself to keep the goose pimples from rising. She sat back against the tree that had been her resting area for the night, and looked around her. There was no sign of her horse, Nynavae. She put her fingers to her lips and gave a loud whistle. Within a few moments, the tall white horse galloped its way towards her. Kaya stood up to greet her. “Hello, my friend.”  She brushed the dead grass off the back of her pants and began to stroke the horse’s smooth white neck. “Where did you run off too?” Hanging on the edge of her saddle was a knapsack. She reached in and took out a couple carrots, feeding one to Nynavae, and the other to herself. “Have you had a good rest?” She asked her horse. “Do you think you are ready to ride?” Nynavae gave a neigh, and Kaya hopped onto the saddle. “Come on, girl, let’s get home.” With that said, Nynavae began to ride.

As dawn approached, she finally reached her home town. She stared at the large wooden sign held up by two stakes hanging just after the entrance. “Welcome to Trella.” It said in red fading letters. It was put up when she was nine by her Uncle and other townsmen. She gave out a happy sigh. She was finally home.

People were just starting their days by opening their markets and shops. As Kaya rode past them, she felt all their eyes glance up at her. “It’s Kaya.” They whispered. “She’s back.”  Some mothers, taking their children to school, even said to the little ones, “Stay away from her. You don’t ever want to get involved with that type.”

Kaya couldn’t help but laugh to herself. She felt all their energies and nervousness. Yes, she may have been of power, but there was nothing to fear about her. She only uses her power against the evils of the world. Yet, people never seem to care for the whole story. 

Kaya was born in this town. Although only nineteen years of age, she is the only one who knew it for what it was before it was destroyed. When she was four years old, another sorceress, much like herself only evil, came through and burned all the buildings to the ground. She killed every townsperson. Kaya was the only one left alive.

As she kept riding through the town, she began to feel a familiar energy near her. Her heart leapt. She looked all around her until she spotted a middle aged man coming out of the bakery with a basket of bread. He looked as if he had been muscular most of his life, but a pot belly seemed to be forming around his tummy, and all his muscle was slowly turning to fat. His hair was a graying dark brown, along with his mustache and beard. “Woh. Nynavae.”  Kaya stopped her horse and hopped off. The man still hadn’t seen her yet. She followed close behind him. “Would you like some help with that bread?” She asked in her most polite voice.

He turned his head only slightly around, but not enough to get a full view of the girl. “Thank you, but no.” He said “I only live up the hill.” He smiled and continued to walk.

Kaya laughed as she followed him closely behind. “Up the hill? I think it’s a long ways to walk for an old man like yourself.” She teased. “Are you absolutely certain you don’t need assistance with that heavy basket of bread?”

The man laughed and turned around to comment, but stopped himself short, when he recognized her face. The basket fell right out of his hands. Luckily, nothing spilled. “Kaya?” His hands shook. “Oh Kaya! It’s been so long.”

Kaya embraced her old guardian. “Two years, uncle.” She said. “Two long years.” 

“You are such a sight for my old eyes. I missed you so terribly.” Richard held his finger tips under her chin, bringing it out slightly. “My, you are growing up.” He smiled, and moved his hand to her cheek. He gazed at her face with such admiration. “Come my dear, let’s get you home, so you can tell me all about this last adventure.”

“Adventure?” She laughed. “Far from an adventure, uncle”

“You sure overused that word when you were a child. When Dimitri came by the house, it was all you ever asked her about.”

“I was young and naïve then.”  She smirked. Her tone then grew serious, and she took a deep breath, preparing herself to spit out the next words. “Dimitri’s dead, uncle. She was killed about a year ago.” 

Dimitri was Kaya’s mentor and trainer. She was a good sorceress also who taught Kaya everything she knew about the magics of the world. When Kaya hit adolescent age, Dimitri would take her out to show her how to use those magics on evil. When she became thirteen, she was officially named a sorceress. Kaya went out on her own to help all that was in need, to defeat any evil that was in her way. Some days, she and Dimitri would accompany each other. Other times, they worked separately. This last time, they were both called to help. They didn’t know it until they saw each other the first day. A lady was being sought after by a group of large oversized demons. They ran from those demons for two years fighting any of them that lay across their paths until all of them were killed, and the lady could return to her home safely. Dimitri didn’t come out of one of those battles alive.

“I’m sorry to hear that.” He said solemnly after Kaya told him the story.

“Let’s go home.” Picking up the basket of bread in her hands, she turned to Nynavae and motioned to the horse with her head to follow. Nynavae gave a neigh and began to walk.

Richard laughed and put his arm around his niece. “You haven’t changed a bit.”

As they walked to the end of the road and up the hill, Kaya finally spotted her old cabin. Aside from her uncle, it was the happiest sight she had seen in two long years. She never wanted to leave it again. She then turned her gaze to the abandoned cabin twenty yards to its right. “Uncle… have you..”

“No.” Her uncle answered before Kaya finished the question. “I haven’t heard from them.”

         “You would think Rie would send a letter.” Kaya scoffed.

         “You know his mother would find him out and stop him, Kaya.”

         Kaya sighed. “You’re right. I’m sorry.” She continued to walk up the hill to her cabin. Her neighbors had moved away five years ago when Kaya was away from home. She had known them most of her life. They moved into their cabin the same week Kaya and her uncle moved into theirs. The boy, Riordan, was Kaya’s age and they became inseparable friends. However, as the years went on, Rie’s mother, Betha, slowly began to fear Kaya. She began to treat her less like a daughter and more like an enemy, eventually leading her to forbid her children to even speak to Kaya. Rie never complied with that rule. Kaya came home one year from a long trip with Dimitri and found their cabin empty. Her uncle said they must have moved in the middle of the night because he had not seen them go.

         As they walked into the gate, Kaya started to forget all about her neighbors. She was home. She couldn’t stop telling herself that. Her uncle must have seen the change in expression on her face because he let out a laugh. He took the bread basket back in his hands. “Go lead Nynavae to the field. I’ll warm up some tea.”

         Kaya took the reins of her horse and brought her over to the large field to the left of the house. It was twelve square acres. Her uncle had bought it just for Nynavae to run free when Kaya first acquired the horse from Dimitri ten years ago. “We’re home, girl.” She stroked Nynavae’s neck. Nynvae let out a happy neigh. Kaya took off her saddle, and let the horse take off running. She carried the saddle up to the side of the house and placed it up against the wall. She then walked around to the front door and entered inside. She was home. Taking a deep peaceful breathe, she took off her knapsack from her shoulder and placed it on the single round table in the middle of the room. Her uncle came through the door opposite the front door with the pot of tea he had been warming in the fireplace. “Welcome home.” He said. He then placed the pot on the table.

Kaya smiled. She turned around to the cabinet next to her and took out two cups. She handed one to her uncle and kept one for herself. Richard poured them both tea. They sat down at the table and Kaya proceeded to tell her all about her ‘adventure.’ “So as soon I knew the lady was safely back in her home, I turned right around and headed back to Trella.”

“Why were they after her in the first place?” Richard asked.

Kaya shrugged. “She had something they wanted; a jewel of some sort that her great-grandmother stole from them when she was a child. It’s been passed down from generation to generation. The lady didn’t want to give it up.”

“Are you sure you killed the whole race of demons?” He took a sip of tea.

“After the last battle, when Dimitri was killed, they never bothered us again. I’m only assuming so. I told the lady to contact me if she feels threatened again.” Kaya stood up from her chair and went to the window to watch Nynavae run around. The horse seemed to thoroughly enjoy being home again, for all she was doing was prancing all around the field.

“Would you like some more tea?” Richard asked her from the table. Cabinets were underneath the window. The rest of the kitchen was bear except another window opposite the other. There were doors on the walls between them; one leading to the living area; the other leading to the outside. Everything was made of wood.

Kaya smiled. “Most definitely.” She held out her mug as he stood up and filled it to the rim. She took a sip of it. “Oh how I missed your tea, uncle. No one can make it as well as you.” She said and took another sip, and turned to watch Nynavae again. Flashes of last night’s dream filled her head again. She quickly shook herself out of it.

Richard tilted his head to study her. His eyes raised and wrinkles grew in his forehead. “You’re troubled by something, my dear. Do talk to me.”

         “It’s nothing, uncle.” She shrugged and laughed. She had forgotten he always knew when something was on her mind. He had the gift ever since he took her in his care after the town was destroyed. He had lived in a neighboring town twenty miles from this one. He heard the news from a traveler a week after it had happened. He rushed over there as quickly as he could. Men were there cleaning up the mess. In their care was a small four-year-old girl he recognized as his niece, sitting there alone and traumatized. He never forgot that little face. Hints of it always came about whenever she was bothered. It shakes him up and worries him every time it’s shown.

He sat the tea pitcher back down on the table. “Nothing or something, child. You are still troubled. Please talk to me.”

Kaya sighed. “I’ve been having dreams lately, uncle; reoccurring dreams of what I believe is a memory. I’m pretty sure they mean something. I never have dreams that don’t.” She sighed.

“What are you remembering?” Richard asked.

Kaya lowered her head. “The day the town was destroyed.” She mumbled. “It just gets me to think again. Why? Why me, uncle? Why didn’t the sorceress kill me? She killed the whole town. She killed my parents and siblings, but she didn’t kill me. Why?”

“Because you had a calling.” He said. “Your father told me the day you were born that you were special. He felt it in his heart, and he was right. Look at you now; Kaya Mae Lyston the sorceress, defeater of all evil. Your parents would be so proud.”

Kaya’s heart was touched. “She was never found.” She then said quietly. “She’s still out there.”

“Yes well we’ve heard no news about her since, my dear. I don’t think there is anything to worry about, anymore.”

“I think that’s precisely why we have to worry.” She sighed. “I can’t shake off those dreams. She said she’s always watching, and I’ll never leave her sight.”

“Well, if she does come back, we will all be good and ready for her.” Richard assured.

“I wish you were right, uncle. But without Dimitri, I feel so powerless.”

“Dimitri didn’t give you your power, Kaya. She brought it out of you. She would be so ashamed to hear you speak this way. Where’s my ‘I’ll kill any evil that comes my way’ niece?”

         Kaya smirked and slightly smiled. “She grew up.” She shrugged. “Reality hit her hard in the head when she saw someone more powerful than her fall.”

“Powerful or not, we are all born into this world to fall, my dear.  And Dimitri’s time came. Power had no play in that. She wouldn’t have left you if she didn’t believe you were capable of taking care of yourself.”

“I’m just glad to be home.” She said slightly changing the subject. “I don’t think I’m going back out there any time soon. I’m not ready to take care of myself. I’m not ready to fight anything with knowing that I can’t call on her incase something comes up. She was always there for me, uncle. I feel as if there is still so much I have to learn from her.”

Richard sighed. “You already learned as much as she had the ability to teach you. The rest is on your own.” He put his arm around his niece, and she laid her head on his shoulder. “I am happy you are home too. It gets so quiet around here when you leave.”

“I can’t wait to sleep in my own bed tonight.” She laughed. “You have no idea how long it’s been since I slept in an actual bed. Trees, stables, fields yes. Beds, no.” 

Richard laughed. “Yes your room has been waiting patiently for you as well.”

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation. Out of reflex, Kaya read the energy at the other end. Frightened and nervous it was. But they had a good soul. “It’s alright. You can let them in, uncle.” She said.

         “I missed you doing that.” He said making Kaya smile. “Come on in!”  He yelled to the door.

In walked a young girl in her early teens. Her hair was short and blonde. She was tiny, only around five feet and very skinny. Tears were streaming down her face. She seemed to be shaken quite a bit. “Madam Kaya.” She squeaked out. Kaya stepped forward and took the girl by her shoulders to comfort her.

“Breath, my dear.” She said. “I’m right here. Everything is alright.” Richard stepped back to let them speak. 

         “The townspeople were talking that you were home. But I don’t believe everything they say. I never did. You are my only hope. I don’t know who else to ask, and if it was rude of me, I truly apologize.” She cried.

“You can ask me anything, my dear. No need to worry.” She gave the girl a comforting smile. The girl then began to breathe easier. Kaya took her hands back to herself and let the girl speak. 

“It’s my father, Madam. He’s awfully sick. The doctor’s say there’s nothing they can do. He just now started yelling out in his sleep. I panicked. And the only place I thought to go was here. Can you help him, Madam Kaya?”

Kaya smiled. “Of course.”

The girl’s eyes became large with joy. “Oh thank you. Thank you!”

She turned to her uncle. “I’ll be home as soon as I can.” She said. She then took her knapsack from the table, and followed the little girl.

Her cabin was just slightly down the hill from her own, a few hundred feet below her old neighbor’s cabin. The girl opened her front door, and let her in. Instead of a kitchen, like her own, it was a small living area. A fireplace sat on the side of the wall with chairs in front. “He’s in the back bedroom.” She said and led her through a door connecting. Inside was a thin man lying on a bed. He had the same kind of beard and mustache of her uncle, but slightly more gray. He was mumbling in his sleep, but the words weren’t coherent.

“How long has he been sick?” Kaya asked the girl.

“He fell ill about a year ago. Doctors are clueless to what it may be.”

Kaya took out five crystals from her knapsack and placed them around the bed. “You must stay outside of this barrier.” She told the girl. “You can stay in the room to watch, but you mustn’t come near. I know you wish to be close to your father, but this is only to ensure that his sickness does not transfer to you.”

         “I understand.” The girl said, and backed away to the corner.

Kaya then stepped though the crystal barrier. She placed the palm of her hand on his forehead, and started speaking a language unknown to the girl. ”Her eyes are always watching!!” The man began to yell out. “You will never escape her sight!”  Kaya almost stopped speaking, and almost pulled her hand away out of shock and fright, but continued anyway. Within a few moments, the man’s rantings slowly quieted into nothing. Kaya continued chanting. After a few more moments, his eyes slowly opened. Kaya took back her hand and stopped her chants. She drew in a deep breath to quickly re-strengthen herself before she spoke. “How are you feeling?” She asked the man.

“It’s you.” He said staring at her with star-struck eyes. “I saw you in my dreams.”

“Dad!” The girl let out. She ran towards the bed, but stopped short at the barrier, remembering what Kaya had said. She turned to Kaya and asked with her eyes if it was alright. Kaya nodded, confused by the meanings of what just happened. The girl quickly and happily hopped on to the bed. “You’re awake.” She said to her father.

The man took a moment for things to process. He then seemed to be lifted from his dream-like state. “Gabrielle?” His eyes widened at the girl.

She threw her hands around her father. “You ARE awake!”

“My daughter. Oh my darling daughter.” He gave his half of the embrace. “I heard you in my dreams. I tried to wake up but I couldn’t.”

Kaya was collecting the crystals from around the bed and putting them back in her knapsack. The girl hopped back off the bed and approached her. “Madam Kaya. I can’t thank you enough. I wish there was a way to repay you.”

“You are already repaying me with your happiness, my dear.” She smiled. “Now.. Go spend time with your father.” She turned to the man. “You may be slightly weak for a few days, but you’re just fine. I promise you that.” The man nodded with grateful eyes as the girl hopped back onto the bed. Kaya let herself out of the house quietly to let the girl and her father reunite. Her heart felt so good after healing somebody, and reinstating happiness within a family. But something didn’t seem right in there. “What kind of tricks are you trying to pull, sorceress?” She asked out loud to the sky. “What’s the point of watching me if you aren’t going to act on it. Well I’m here now. Ready for you.”  Just as she said that, the skies became dark, and the whole town shook with thunder and lightning. Kaya waved her hand, and it all disappeared. “You can’t use the weather to scare me. If you wish to fight, come in person.” She said and began to walk home.

Her uncle was sitting at the wooden table when she walked through the door. “Hello there, stranger.” He smiled. “How is the girl’s father?”

“Alive and healthy.” She said.

“Somehow I knew that would be your answer. You are such a miracle worker.”

Kaya smirked. “I wish.” She said. “I’m slightly weakened from the healing. I think I’m going to take a short nap.” She didn’t wait around for her uncle’s answer. She made her away to her old bedroom. Inside was just how she remembered it. Her small room with a single bed right under the window across from the door. A nightstand sat by its side, her dresser on the far left wall. Kaya took in a deep breath. She laid down on her bed and stared up at the ceiling. “I wish you were here, Dimitri.” She sighed.

“Why is my presence so needed?” A concerned voice sounded from beside. Kaya quickly sat up. Standing before her, was a tall red-headed woman. She was dressed in the olive battle clothes she was wearing the day she died. Her green eyes sparkled at Kaya; a caring smile shown on her face. But her body wasn’t in full. The bedroom door could be seen right through her.

         “Dimitri!” Kaya stared at her with a gaping mouth.

“Yes it’s me.” Dimitri laughed.

“I-I don’t understand.” She stammered. A couple tears trickled out the side of her eyes.

“Surely you, out of all people in this world, would believe in spirits, my dear. We always watch from above. I heard your heart cry out for me, and I feel your fear. I know about your dreams, and I’ve seen today’s events.”

“Do you know what’s happening?” She asked her mentor. 

“Yes. I do. I feared this time for as long as I’ve known you.” She shook her head. Her eyes filled up concern. Kaya waited for her to speak again. “Do you remember when I first came to you?” Dimitri asked her.

“It was a long while ago.” She thought back in her mind. “I’m guessing right after my uncle and I moved in here. The town had just been rebuilt, and people began to move back in. I begged my uncle to move as well.” She then began to feel guilty for taking him away from everything and everybody he knew. “I haven’t thought of that in years.” She said out loud.

“Your energy is connected here.” Dimitri said as if reading Kaya’s mind. Kaya wasn’t surprised at this. “You couldn’t help wanting to come back. It is where you performed your first magic.” 

Kaya stared at her blankly. “What do you mean?”

“Do you know why the sorceress came here?” Dimitri asked.

Kaya shook her head. “No. I have no idea.”

“She learned of a powerful figure destined to be the death of her, living right in this very town. To be rid of this figure, to change her destiny, she decided to kill all who reside here in hopes of killing them. But this powerful person was not harmed, for they had created a protective barrier around their self forcing her to give up, and run away. It would be the first magic they ever performed… And that be you Kaya. The Sorceress is the mastermind behind most if not all the evil in this world. Her family has been since the beginning of time. To kill her, is to kill all who serve her.”

Kaya laughed nervously. “I think you have the wrong person. I’m just a girl. I’m just Kaya.”

“You are wrong, Kaya. That man you saved today was sick because of her. She directly envenomed him to gain control of your attention. Only her defeater can change her direct spells.”

“He’s just a man.” Kaya instantly reacted.

“Kaya!” Dimitri stopped her from saying more. “You know I’m right.”

“Why now?” She asked. “Why did she wait till now? Why didn’t she try again when I was younger?”

“You were too powerless when you were younger, my dear. Nature wouldn’t allow it. It’s the reason you created the barrier around yourself. You knew in your heart the rules of nature.” She said.

“And when I was of power?” Kaya asked.

“I was your protector when you were of power. I did not have the power to directly kill the Sorceress, and she did not have the power to directly kill me, but I as long as I remained alive the law of nature would not let her touch you. The sorceress knew right away of my death. If you remember when your dreams started, they had to be a year ago.”

Kaya looked to the ground and closed her eyes. “So I’m destined to kill her.” She said. “Well let’s just do that. Let’s get this over with fast.” She stood up from her seat.

“It’s not that simple, my dear. She lives half way around the world.”

Dimitri’s words were like a spike through her heart. She had to sit herself back down. “Then I’m not going. I’m not leaving home again. Like you said, my energy is connected here.”

“Then you will let down millions of magical people all over the world. Their hopes of one day being free from fearing for their lives will shatter to the floor. And demons will continue to populate this earth.” She said with a scolding manner. Kaya was expecting her to say ‘you know better’ or ‘get up right now.’ “They know the legend of the soul destined to kill the sorceress.”

Kaya took a deep breathe, and forced herself to make up her mind.  “When do I leave, and where should I go?”

“Tomorrow morning.” Dimitri said. “It does not matter the direction you take, for the sorceress lives directly opposite the world of you.” 

“It’s so far.” She said quietly.

“It may be far, but I know you. You can withstand any distance.” Dimitri said.

Kaya’s bedroom door opened, and in walked Richard. “I’m coming with her.”

“Richard you can’t.” Dimitri said.

“Uncle, no.” Kaya pleaded. “As much as I would love to travel with you, it would give me greater peace of mind to know that you are safe at home.”

Richard sat next to Kaya on the bed. “She may have taught you the magics, Kaya, but who taught you the sword? If she gets to watch over you, then I should as well.”

“I have to do this alone, uncle. You said it yourself, that I had a calling. And this is it.”

Richard sighed. “You just got home. I hate to see you leave again.”

Kaya smiled. She took a deep breathe and laid her head on her uncle’s shoulder. “I hate to see me leave too, uncle. You have no idea. I wish not to, but you heard Dimitri. I don’t want to let all those people down.”

“You are a good person, Kaya.” Dimitri said.







***

“So Nynavae, are you ready to go for a ride again?” Kaya was out in the field beside the cabin. She put her forehead up against the horse’s. Nynavae gave a grunt. Kaya laughed. “I know how you feel girl. Don’t I know it.” She sighed. She didn’t want to leave home. Not just yet. Half way around the world was just too far.

It was early the next morning. The sky was still dark blue. It was slightly chilly, because the sun hadn’t yet made its appearance full. Kaya had just gotten up. She dressed in her traveling olive battle clothes, similar to Dimitri’s. Her long brown hair had been tied up in a messy bun. She packed up her knapsack full of everything she needed for a long trip, then made her way out to the field where she met Nynavae. After a brief conversation and saddling, she walked her horse to the front of the house where Richard was waiting. “I figured you would try and sneak off this morning.” He said. 

“I didn’t want to say goodbye.” Kaya wanted to force herself to feel numb.

“Do you know which way you are heading?” He asked.

“Whichever way Nynavae leads me, I’m guessing.” She shrugged.

Richard took out a folded piece of paper from his pocket. He opened it up and handed it to Kaya. She took a look at it and saw that it was a map with a 2500 mile radius. Up north of their town, dots were drawn randomly in ink. “I know people who live in those towns. I’ve written their names on the back. If you decide to go north and need anything in the beginning of your trip, don’t hesitate to stop in any one of these towns. They are good people. Friends I’ve known my whole life.”

Kaya gave a smile. She folded the paper back up and put it in her knapsack. “Thank you.” She said. Both she and Richard stood there in silence for a few moments, until Kaya flung her arms around his neck and felt herself begin to cry. “I will miss you so terribly, uncle.” She said.

Richard shut his eyes tightly as he held his niece closer. “You be careful out there.” He said as they pulled apart. He kissed the top of her forehead. 

Kaya wiped her tears from her eyes with the back of her thumbs, using the rest of her hand to wipe them from her cheeks. “I will I promise.”

“Now off you go. We both do not wish to have Dimitri scolding us do we?”

Kaya laughed. “No. That’s the last thing I want.” She said in an obvious sarcastic tone, directing it to the sky where Dimitri would be listening. She took a deep breathe, and hugged her uncle again. They parted embraces, and Kaya hopped on the back of Nynavae. “Good bye, uncle.” She said. “I will be home as soon as I can be.”

“Fare well my niece. My all the light in the world shine on your trip and be of protection.” With that Kaya rode off.
© Copyright 2012 Mel Cat (melm27cat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852012-The-Sorceress-Chapter-1