*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852295-Drifted-Souls
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1852295
The suffering of two homeless girls.
One summer day, the golden sun shone brightly, sending out its rays across the globe. The cotton-like clouds playfully floated, sketched widely against the blue sky. Chirping birds soared highly, symbolizing freedom.

Amidst that environment, there existed a town called ‘Dawn’. It was highly populated with busy working people, aiming to make a living. Carriages went back and forth, transporting goods, or carrying people from place to place.

Within the market place, two young sisters walked around with extended hands, begging for money. An old man put few coins in the eldest sister’s hand, causing her to smile genuinely. She thanked him, forcing her younger sister to thank him as well. That made them hopeful that others would be as kind. However, they got yelled at, chased out, but that never stopped them.

“Haven’t I told you not to walk near my store? You’re driving customers away from me!” The shop owner shooed the two sisters, who hurried away from her.

“Ruby, I think we should stop already. No one’s going to give us money anyway.”

“If we stop, we won’t be able to live, Amber.”

Ruby hung her head low, holding Amber’s hand.

“Are you hungry?” Amber asked Ruby.

“A little.”

“We have 5 coins. Through them, we can buy at least a bread.”

“We’ll cut it in half, as usual.” Ruby said with complete disappointment. Amber noticed her sister’s expressions, but pretended she didn’t. Even though she hated the life they were living in, but it wasn’t like she had a choice. Moreover, she had to be strong for both of them. Amber thought that if she was always hopeful, and stronger, she’d transmit such strong feelings to Ruby as well.

As the two of them reached the nearest bakery, a young boy bumped into them, stealing the few coins they had.

“Hey! Stop, you thief!” Amber chased after him.

Surprised that Amber was chasing him, the young boy stood behind a tall man.

“Why are you chasing after my son?” The huge man asked, looking down at Amber.

“He stole my money!”

The man took a good look at Amber, witnessing her torn and dirty clothes, messy hair, and dusty face.

“Who on earth would steal money from a beggar?” He scoffed.

Amber’s tears threated to fall, but she managed not to cry. Shortly after, Ruby appeared by her side. She looked confusingly at Amber’s face, then at the man standing in front along with the smirking kid.

“Go away. My son stole nothing from you.”

“Yeah, get lost.”

“Shut up! I may be a beggar like you said, but I’m not a thief.” Amber stared firmly at the young boy then she addressed her sister, “Let’s go, Ruby!”

Ruby followed silently, glancing briefly behind.  Losing those few coins meant no food. It’s been almost three days since they last ate a meal. Exhaustion wore out their tiny bodies until they could walk no more. Their empty stomach growled every now and then, reminding them of their hunger, and their eyes became droopy. While they searched for a shelter, Ruby fell down.

“Sister, I can walk no more.” Ruby looked up at Amber with teary eyes.

“Bear with me just a little, Ruby. We have to find us a good shelter.”

“I feel powerless.”

“Very well. Hop on my back. I’ll carry you.”

Ruby stared at Amber’s faint smile, nodded her head, then hopped on her sister’s back. Even though Amber was drained out of energy, but she managed to carry her sister with the least amount of energy stored within her body. Some time later, her legs gave up, causing her to walk no more. Struggling, she managed to reach a nearby alley. Once they sat down, they cuddled next to each other.

“Amber, I’m too tired.”

“Me too.” Amber confessed for the first time.

“Are we going to be saved?”

“Hopefully.”

Night fell too fast. The pure white clouds turned dark, and the sky was dyed with black. Meanwhile, the two sisters sat in a narrow alley between houses. With empty stomachs, they craved for food badly. It pained Amber how they both had to suffer. If their parents were still alive, they wouldn’t have went through that.

Ruby’s breathing hardened, and soon turned to mere shallow breaths.

“Amber, it’s getting cold.”

Amber’s tears fell one by one as she looked at Ruby, whose eyes closed immediately.

“Ruby! Ruby!” Amber shook her sister’s cold body but she didn’t wake up. A minute later, she followed her sister’s path.

With that, the lonely souls of two innocent children were drifted away, and parted this world.
© Copyright 2012 dolce_nunu (dolce_nunu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852295-Drifted-Souls