*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853592-Rangers-of-Toonan-ch46
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1853592
The 46th chapter of Rangers of Toonan.
Alexo looked around at the dark mottled green of his- their forest. Fierce anger flooded through his veins at the thought of his world becoming a battle field in a few short hours... or minutes.... and of the injustice wrought to his fellow Rangers…..Alexo shook his head. He had to get the creatures ready. It was his duty as a Ranger. He breathed in the comforting scent of the wilderness as he came up to the small lump in the ground. He nervously shuffled his feet and watched as many heads, so different, turned to face him. Alexo swallowed.
“My name is Alexo Vertigo. I am the last Ranger of Toonan.” Alexo took a breath and stared around the crowd. “Have you heard of the Others?”
Booing from the gathered races. Alexo had to agree with them. “You all know it was pure dumb luck I was out in the forest when the Others came and destroyed the Rangers. They are coming for you now. And we can't let that happen.” Alexo stared at them, his dark eyes boring into the front row and beyond. A tear gathered in the corner of his eye and he angrily brushed it away.
“Look at me!” Alexo turned around and faced them. His eyes crackled, and his body was visually shaking, unlike his voice, which was rock solid. “You wouldn't think, me, of all people could fight, or be smart. But that's where you are wrong, as the rest of the world is with you. We’ve got one chance to save our world, our forest! You may not trust me or want to follow me, because I’m a kid, or a human, but you’ve got to put that aside! We all know that the Others have declared war on us in hopes of obtaining magic and you. They think you are dumb animals, but you’re not! I’ve been here all of 6 years and I know most of you are stronger, smarter, and braver than any human can be. But if we hold out, together, as a Ranger and the Majicks, we can defeat them! Show them that this is OUR land and that we will defend it to the ends of the earth! Will you join me?” Alexo held his breath, gazing at the crowd below him, praying, hoping, and pleading that they would agree….
“YES!” came the collective shout. Alexo exhaled.
“Then we can beat them! What do they have?”
“Fallen rangers!”
“What do we have?”
“The pure hearted!” howled one small elven girl. Alexo felt the sides of his mouth twitch a little and he stood a little taller.
“So what will we do?” he shouted.
“Protect the forest!” they hooted back.
“Then let us prepare!” Alexo leaped down and raced for the center of the clearing, where a large pile of weapons lay. He lifted a sword and brought it into the air. More cheering. Alexo put the sheath on and back away as the creatures surged forward.
Luisa tried to sneak past him, but Alexo grabbed her shirt. She turned around.
“What Alexo?” she asked.
“Liss, you’re too young.”
“Well, you’re only a few years older than me, and I’m an elf.”
“I don’t care. If you get hurt….”he trailed off. Luisa got what he meant.
“But what else can I do?”
“Help the injured, and the young.” Alexo replied. Luisa nodded slowly.
“Alright.” Luisa began to run on the tips of her feet when she turned. “You is really brave Alexo, you is.” Luisa then turned and danced-ran away, towards the crying injured and young.
© Copyright 2012 Emma McCarry (aleiaworld12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853592-Rangers-of-Toonan-ch46