*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1854428-A-Great-Change
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1854428
The prologue of Trevor Athos's adventure in a strange land.
For a few moments, Trevor could only blink.  He was stunned beyond his ability to move and a strange sensation kept his comprehension just beyond his reach.  As he stared at the bright blue sky above him, half his vision was filled with tiny snowflakes, slowly drifting down from high above and disappearing just before it connected with him.  Even with the snow's direct contact, the matching half of his body felt was filled with it's cold breath but his right half felt like it's had been sunbaked for hours.
He sat up quickly, trying to figure out what as going on.  He looked both ways, as far as he could only to find an endless blanket of snow filling one side and a green field of grass stretching forever towards a bright sun in the other.  He couldn't understand what made it impossible for snow to drift on to this field or what cause the snow to layer up a foot or two before suddenly reaching it's end.  Even the breeze seemed to be polarize, moving away from where this great divide had formed, but taking it's time with it's gentle speed.
On each side, a single tree stood, both equally distant from his location and straight into the side they were on.  Both were big trees with many branching limbs spreading out from the trunk embracing the season in which they lived.  The winter tree held no leaves, but it's branches were covered with snow and all bore icicles that hung on with their thick bases and continued down till they reached a fine point.  The other was lush with the leaves, radiant with the light they had absorbed.  He felt that there was something else about them that he was missing, but he couldn't quite place what it was.
He stood up and tried to decided which side he would go, finding this divided feeling a little eerie.  If even if he could choose his poison, he found himself unable to leave his position.  All through standing up and turning about, he found his own center locked on the line created by the sudden change of season.
"Welcome, Changer," a loud voice suddenly rung though his head.  Unsure where else to look, he looked up and again found the gentle snowflakes consuming half his vision and empty skies on the other half.  A small change in the corner of his vision caused him to look towards one tree and then towards the other.  Out of nowhere, 2 figures had appeared and were staring straight at him.  Both looked exactly alike and yet, something made each distinct.  Again a nagging feeling pulled at the back of his mind.
Both had a thick mess of mud brown hair and eyes that'd match if they weren't a shade too bright.  They were lanky figures, possessing little mass but stretching it as far as it could be.  The winter clone sat in a tree and held a branch for support, gazing down at Trevor through the gentle snowfall.  The other had been standing near the summer tree but took a few steps closer, away from the only shadow that seemed to exist.  As they spoke, Summer moved it's hand to emphasize his meaning while winter never moved more than a glance at it's rival.
"2 choices stand before you, one choice must you make," Summer began.
"Summoned to a land time and space have forsake'd," Winter continued as if they were one thought.
"See the way its people live, though they may be few."
"See the way the others live, and choose what you will do."
"Leave the lands and go back home, leave them to their own."
"Or modify the world to make your vision known."
"The choice is yours, oh changer, so make a wise one."
"The choice is ours, so make it, and we shall be done."
© Copyright 2012 Alex james rook (thelastrook at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1854428-A-Great-Change