*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1855167-Homework
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1855167
A father teaches his young son the skills of hunting...
The bell rang, ending the school day for the kids at Kennedy Elementary School. As the kids roared out of the doors like a herd of wild cows, one of the teachers called out to a student. “Billy,” Mrs. Johnson said, “Don’t forget to tell your dad that the PTO meeting is tonight. I want to tell him how well you’re doing.”

“Don’t worry, Mizz Johnson,” Billy yelled back, “He’s coming tonight!”

Mrs. Johnson smiled and, turning to another teacher, said, “I couldn’t ask for a better student. Billy scores high on every test, has his homework in on time every day, and his father is always ready to help out with any school project.”

She walked back inside as the buses pulled away, the school becoming as quiet as a church on Saturday night.

*****


That night, Billy and his father made the rounds throughout the school. Every class, every teacher…there was nothing but praise for Billy and his outstanding work. At the end of the night, the principal took Billy’s dad to the side. “Jeff”, he said, “we are so proud of Billy and his outstanding work. I was wondering if we could borrow some of your time this weekend for the PTO bake sale. I know it’s been tough, what with being a single parent and all, but your efforts are greatly appreciated.”

Jeff smiled, “Don’t worry about the time. Y’know I am always willing to help out. I feel that bringing up a child to do what is right is the most important thing in the world. Y’all are always welcome out at the farm…just be sure to call first. We may be out in the field or woods and I’d sure hate to miss out on company”

Shaking hands, Jeff left the principal and, putting his arm around Billy in a gentle bear hug, headed out the door.“ on, I am proud of you, as always”, Jeff said with a warm smile, “Because of that, we’re going to go hunting this weekend. And I also think it’s time that you helped with the catch after we get back.”

Billy jumped around his dad like an excited puppy. He always enjoyed doing everything with his dad, but hunting was especially exciting. And to get a chance to help with the catch-that was more than he could imagine. He had gone hunting with his dad a few times, but he never got a chance to help his dad afterwards.

*****


Friday evening came, the full moon rising in the October sky. Billy ran into the barn where his dad was loading gear into the truck. “Can we go? Can we go? Can we go?” he squealed with excitement.
Jeff smiled, “Hop in and let’s go. We’ve got a-ways to go to find a good hunting ground and what we want may be scarce if we don’t hurry.” Father and son got in the truck and rolled out towards what they hoped would be a good hunt.

The moon was starting to go low on the horizon as the truck bounced up the lane to the farm. Billy was asleep, snuggled under his dad’s arm. Jeff reached down and tousled his son’s hair lovingly. He gently picked up the sleeping child and carried him into the house. Taking off his shoes, he tucked his son under the covers and kissed him goodnight. Walking out to the barn, Jeff unloaded his hunting gear and, with a grunt, picked up the night’s catch. He carried it down a hidden stairwell in one of the stables and dumped it on a wooden bench. He hummed a familiar tune as he made sure the spoils of the hunt were secure, and then he locked the door and headed into the house to catch a little sleep.
Billy slept until mid-afternoon when he woke with a start. Throwing on his shoes and washing his face, he burst into the kitchen, worried that his dad was already starting without him. His dad smiled, “Afternoon sleepyhead. Thought you were going to sleep all day; we’ve got a bake sale to go to. Go change your clothes.” Billy gave his dad a worried, quizzical look. Jeff smiled, “Don’t worry; I haven’t done anything yet with last night’s catch. When we get back, you can help me as promised.”

Billy sighed with relief; his dad was really going to let him help!

The bake sale was a huge success; there was a lot of money raised for the school. Jeff and Billy even had time to compete in some of the father/son competitions. They didn’t win, but their jovial attitude was infectious. Even the grouchy old men who showed up to munch out had to smile at the father and son rolling on the ground laughing.
As the bake sale ground to a halt, Billy was getting more and more anxious. Jeff patted him on the head, “Don’t worry, son. We have plenty of time. Did you do all of your homework?”
Billy said, “Yes Daddy. Even the extra credit work Mizz Jones suggested!”
“Good”, Jeff said, “When you get home, change into your work clothes and meet me at the barn”

Another October full moon was starting to rise as Billy burst out of the back door, screen door slamming with a loud bang. He ran to the barn, knowing his dad was already in the workroom waiting for him. He walked down the stairs and opened the door. His dad was waiting on him, a leather work apron covering his Dickey work clothes. Jeff helped Billy put on a smaller leather apron, then turned to the previous night’s catch. The young woman laid naked on the workbench, her wrists and ankles secured with heavy rope. She couldn’t make a sound, a large rubber gag reducing her cries to a muffled whimper.
Jeff pulled a dirty towel off of a tray next to the workbench. Moving the tray closer to the bound woman, he turned to his son. “Now son, the most important thing to remember is not to rush things. If you want to do something right, you take your time. We don’t want to end things before getting all the fun we can. Pay attention and learn.”
Picking up a hunting knife, he leaned over the terrified woman. Grabbing her left breast, he slowly dragged the razor sharp blade across her nipple.
The woman’s eyes bulged out of her head, her painful screams not quite silenced by the gag. Jeff turned to his son, smiled and said, “Your turn, son”. Billy took the knife tentatively, the weight a little too much for his small hands. Jeff took the large knife from him and, reaching on the tray, handed Billy a smaller paring knife. “Try this”, he smiled warmly, “This might work better for you.”
Billy turned to the woman with the deadly sharp knife. He hesitated at first, but as he started cutting on the warm flesh, his confidence rose with each slash. He looked on the tray for something other than the knife. As his eyes lit on the red-hot soldering iron, his dad told him it was okay,’ just be careful and not to get burned’.
As the bloodied woman shook her head no, Jeff leaned over and whispered in her ear, “Don’t worry-we won’t kill you quick. The boy has to learn how to do this right…and we have all night.” The muffled screams and the smell of burnt flesh rose through the October night as father and son took turns taking the captive through the gates of Hell.

*****

The next morning was Sunday. Jeff and Billy washed up, the remains of their prey taken out and buried in the swamp out by the edge of the field. Jeff licked his hands and slicked down Billy’s cowlick. Billy smiled up at his dad, pleased that he had made his dad proud of the homework he had done the night before. He knew that he was the perfect bait, for no woman could turn down a little boy who was lost, scared, and only wanted his daddy.
Jeff smiled, “Billy, you did me proud last night.” He looked at the farm, “This will be yours someday and I want you to be able to carry on without me. My daddy taught me just like I taught you.” Billy solemnly said, “Don’t worry Daddy. I do my best.”
Jeff said with a tear, “I know you will son; I know you will” He kissed his son then both father and son got in the truck and headed to church, pleased with the weekend’s hunt.
© Copyright 2012 E. L. Stieh (nightguy_1961 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1855167-Homework