*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1858332-Passing-On
Rated: E · Other · Death · #1858332
The final moments in a boy's life as he comes to the end of his time.
Beep. Beep. Beep.



The sound is high of pitch, and never skips beat. It fills my ears in a constant echo, matching the rising and falling of my chest. With each breath, another heartbeat; another beep. I don't know how long I've been here for. A sharp prick is also ever present, sticking deep into my arm.



"How is he, doctor?" The voice is quiet in my ears, almost drowned out by the beeping. "Did the surgery work? Please, tell me he will be okay!"



Who will be okay? What happened? Was somebody hurt?



"I'm afraid..." another voice, grave in tone. "that we have done all that we can, and it was not enough."



My eyelids begin to flutter apart, struggling against a white light. It stings my eyes, but I manage to fight it off. The ceiling is white. So are the walls. Where am I? To my right there is a strange machine holding what seems to be a bag of water; a plastic tube running from it and into my flesh. To my left, several silhouettes stare down at me.



"He's awake!" The voice is comforting, a key to some foreign memories. A scraped knee at the water park; a home made breakfast in bed; the sweet whistles of a hot summer day as the breeze dances across a plain of golden wheat.



"My god, you're right!" Father? "Lucas, wake up Lucas! Don't let go!"



Let go? Of what? Is that my name; Lucas? A warm sensation begins to course through my hand as the soft touch of another's skin envelopes my own. Who's hand am I holding? And then I hear it. The soft pitter patter of rain drops, dancing across a glass window. Beautiful ocean blue eyes, and golden-blonde hair swaying in the wind. Who is she?



"Lucas?" The voice grows louder as the beeping grows faster. "Lucas!"



She smells of strawberries, her voice soft as velvet. I can see her, dancing in the rain in her silk blue dress, with not a care in the world but me. It was a spring night, when I met her. We played for hours, and she would speak of her dreams and oh, the places she would go! Me... Well, all I could think about was my disease.



My disease.



Is that why I am here, in this hospital room, laying on a warm, cloud soft bed? Is it possible that the sickness has finally caught up? No, it wasn't possible! I promised her we would play again, that we would dance in the rain! I have to see her again!



The beeping is a machine gun, firing through my ears. My chest is racing, my very heart threatening to explode at any moment!



"No! Oh god, please no!" The once soft voice is screaming, the tender hold now a death grip on my fingers. "Lucas!"



And then... The beeping stops. The screaming, the crying, the pricks of needles in my arm all gone. I can even feel my legs again, the icy chill of water between my toes. All that is left is the pitter patter of rain against my skin, and before me there she stands. Beautiful in the spring evenings sunset.



"Come with me, Lucas!" Her voice is a heavenly invitation. "I want to play again!"
© Copyright 2012 McKinley (scryer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1858332-Passing-On