*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1859921-On-Stupidity
by Steven
Rated: 13+ · Review · Comedy · #1859921
This is in response to a true news story of two wildly irresponsible parents
Okay so let’s pretend that I’m a girl for a minute (not a particularly attractive one but a girl none the less), and for some reason of the top of your head my husband is beating me like he’s tenderizing a slab of meat. There are options, I could attempt to fight back, scramble to find a phone to try to call 911 or if you’re like the woman in the article of which I am responding, what makes a better tool of protection than my year-old infant son? (By the way my husband is holding a knife).
      Now I understand this response (primarily the first paragraph) could come across as rude or inconsiderate to some who might feel personally towards domestic violence. I do not believe domestic abuse is in anyway funny or acceptable having seen such abuses as a child.
      But maybe the woman deserves a little slack, maybe it was first instinct to grab the nearest thing in reach or maybe she didn’t think the father would hit her if there kid was in between them, fair enough. Now let’s pretend I’m the abusive husband and this woman didn’t fix my sandwich the way I like it so I get angry and beat her. While letting out my steam on my wife I realize I just slapped my baby son and just potentially killed him. Now I could blame my wife for having the utter stupidity to purposely put our son in danger or really look at myself and think “I just beat my wife, I let my anger get the best of me so much so that I potentially killed my son, and woe is me!” Both are absolutely right.
      Both parties in this conflict are equally stupid, unfit and disgustingly irresponsible parents and there is absolutely nothing justifying either of them for either on their parts.  I don’t care if your wife fixes you a half-assed sandwich; it’s no reason to beat her over (Results may vary). And I don’t care how badly a woman is being beaten, if your baby is right next to you and for some odd reason the nearest detachable object is a couple miles away, either accomplish a groin shot (it’s really not that hard to do) or start running, crawling or whatever you need to do to get that detachable object instead.
      Though I am neither an adult nor a parent nor a woman I know I could never truly experience what she did I’m sure being abused really does take a huge toll on the mind state of a mother, but even if she just had enough and she felt like it was the only way, imagine the kid-shield going wrong and Daddy striking anyways. I was raised to believe that the child is a parent’s first priority and either way you choose to look at it, putting this child in a potentially deadly situation is wrong.
      Luckily in this scenario the baby turned out with only minor injuries and the father is currently in jail (wait, seriously…? just the father!? God I hate this justice system!) . I am just dying to see the awkward conversation between this son and mother when this kid grows up in the near future.
© Copyright 2012 Steven (flclmonkey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1859921-On-Stupidity