*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1860211-The-Last-Goodbye
Rated: 13+ · Other · Ghost · #1860211
Gabby must find a serial killer before he kills agian, the problem is she's already dead!
Gabby walked into her apartment grocery bags in hand, and dropped her keys on the side table as she walked into the kitchenette. She put the bags on the counter and started putting everything where it belonged.

Once the groceries were put up Gabby took a shower. She had a party to go to later with Calen and wanted to look her best. Gabby put on a cute green sun dress with spaghetti straps that came to just above her knee. It showed off her slender figure and the heels put her at just over five foot tall. She was fixing her chestnut colored hair when she heard a noise in the living room. Assuming it was Calen she put the last pin in her hair. She looked herself over in the mirror pale complexion and bright blue eyes looked back at her. “Calen should be the envy of every man there tonight.” She told her refection.

A movement at the bedroom door caught her attention she turned and was startled to find it wasn’t Calen instead a man in a ski mask was standing there with a gun.

“Too bad you won’t make the party.” The man said in a deep baritone then fired the gun. One bullet hit her heart the other the center of the forehead, then everything went black.

***

Slowly Gabby opened her eyes. She felt sore and disoriented, and then remembered the gunman. Gabby sat up and looked around frantically but the room was empty. She stood up and looked down to see what damage was done.

She was no longer in her dress instead she had on her favorite pair of jeans and an old faded gray tank top. “What the hell is going on?” She asked the empty room.

“You’re a ghost.” A female voice answered. Gabby spun around startled by the reply. There stood a tall red head she was rail thin with a pale almost translucent complexion and was wearing a long white dress.

“Who are you?” Gabby asked taking a few steps back. She felt something cold at her feet and looked down. There was her body on the floor a pool of blood surrounded her soaking into the green dress.

Gabby screamed and scrambled to get away from the sight. “Oh my God! Oh my God! I’m... I’m...”

“You’re dead.” The woman said gently as she followed Gabby into the living room. “I don’t have long to explain, but you’ve been killed by a serial killer.”

“Serial killer? How is any of this even possible! I’m here but I’m in there too!” Gabby babbled waving her hand toward the bedroom.

The woman came over and grabbed Gabby by the shoulders. “I need you to calm down and listen Calen will be here soon and I can’t be.”

Gabby took a few calming breaths then stepped back. “I’m alright now.”

“Good, my name is Sylvia. I’m your guild. You have been murdered and the serial killer that did this will kill again. You have to stop him. He’s using a special kind of magic that is keeping his victims souls from moving on. You were not supposed to go this way. You and Calen were supposed to have a wonderful sixty five years together. We think this killer is being used by one of us to disrupt the natural order of things."

“How could this happen? I mean Calen he’s going to be devastated! Oh God this can’t be happening. How do I fix this?” Gabby asked

“This can’t be fixed by either one of us. All we can do is stop this guy from doing it again. Here take this it will kill him no matter who’s helping him and it will trap his soul inside so we can deal with him on our plane of existence.” Sylvia stated and handed Gabby a beautiful double edged dagger with an ivory hilt.

“I have to stab him?” Gabby asked horrified at the thought of killing someone.

“No it can be you or Calen you were both robbed of your lives together so either of you can use the dagger.

Gabby perked up at that. “So Calen will be able to see me?”

“Yes, but only him and when you find the killer it will be time for you to come with me.” Sylvia warned.
“I understand just one more thing can I touch him?” Gabby asked

“Not unless you possess someone or visit his dreams. I can’t tell you how to do either of them for each person it’s different but I would advise against possession unless it’s absolutely necessary. It’s dangerous to you and the person you take over. And I’m afraid I have to leave you for a while Calen is almost home.” Sylvia said with a sad smile as she faded away.

Gabby moved around the living room restlessly. She watched helplessly as the front door opened.

Calen walked in putting his briefcase down just inside the door. He looked over at Gabby and smiled. “Sweet heart we have to be at the party in an hour, and as much as I love the comfortable casual look…” He stopped realizing something was wrong. Calen crossed the room to give Gabby a hug and she panicked backing up franticly.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” He asked confused as he stopped just a few steps away.

Gabby bit her lip unsure of what to say. She just wanted to stand there and take in the sight of her fiancé. He was average height at six foot, nice build not too muscular but you could defiantly tell he worked out. Calen had blue eyes and short dark brown hair, and right at that moment he had a worried look on his face.

“I love you.” She finally managed

“I love you too. Now what’s going on?” He asked as he moved closer. Gabby took a step back.

“We…I… Oh God I don’t know how to explain.” She sobbed, she went to grab his hand but her hand went through his.

“What the…” Calen went to grab Gabby’s shoulder but his hand went through her.

“Oh Gods, I was really hoping it was a horrible dream.” She cried putting her hands over her face.

“Gab, how are you doing this?” He asked as he circled her trying to figure out the trick.

“Follow me and I’ll show you.” She stated miserably turned and led the way to their bedroom. He followed her and moved into the room, there on the floor was Gabby’s body.

“I’m dead.” She stated numbly.

Calen looked up at her then back down at the body. “So that makes you a ghost?” He asked trying to come to grips with what he was seeing. He looked back up at Gabby and reached out to touch her but all he felt was air. “Are you real?”
“Afraid so. You can’t touch me and you are the only one that can see or hear me. The bastard that did this is going to do this again if we don’t stop him. I was given this dagger; according to Silvia it’s the only thing that can kill him.” She began as she held the dagger out for him to see.

Calen stepped back “Whoa, wait a minute. What do you mean kill?” He stammered and moved over to the bed to sit down. He sat there staring at Gabby’s body lying lifeless on the floor. “I’m going nuts. I mean if you’re dead I can’t be talking to you. God what am I going to do. The police… I need to call the police.” Calen got up and walked back into the living room grabbed the phone and dialed 911.

“This is 911. What is your emergency?” A woman’s voice answered.

“Yes, I just… I just got home and found … found my fiancé in our bedroom she’s been shot.” He answered as he watched the ghost walk into the room. He turned his back on her.

“Sir is she breathing? How bad are the wounds?” He heard the operator ask.

“She’s dead. She was shot in the chest and head. Please send someone I don’t know what to do she’s just lying there in a pool of blood.” He rambled as tears began to fall.

“Sir, I’m sending an officer over right now. What I need you to do is go into another room and try not to touch anything. Can you do that for me?” The operator coached gently.

“Yes, I’m already in the living room umm… I don’t think I touched anything.” He answered as he paced the living room pointedly ignoring Gabby’s ghost.

Gabby just stood in the doorway between the living room and their bedroom. She watched as Calen refused to look at her. It broke her heart to see the pain and anguish on his face, and to hear the distress in his voice. She watched as he paced the floor. Gabby stayed quiet as they waited on the police, it only took twenty minutes.

She watched as the police swarmed her home, dusting for prints, snapping pictures, taking Calen’s statement. Fortunately he didn’t mention talking to a ghost but he would glance over at her every so often then look away refusing to admit she was really there. The coroner arrived and stuck a sharp and long thermometer into her dead body’s abdomen to tell the police when she had been killed. When she seen the probe she looked away. After they took her body she moved closer to Calen.
“That’s all we need from you for now.” the officer began “Is there someone you could stay with?”

Calen looked lost as he thought about it. “Um, I have a friend Janet. I could stay with her, or Gabby’s parents. Oh God! How do I tell her parents? She’s…I mean she was an only child. This is going to devastate her parents” He slumped down on the couch his head falling into his hands a new wave of grief hitting him.

“If you would give me their address I will go and break the news to them. We’ll need to speak with them anyway. Would you like a lift? I think it would be best if you don’t drive right now.”

“Yea, I think I need to get out of here.” Calen took a shaky breath then stood up. “I’m ready; I’ll give you directions as we go.”
Gabby watched as they walked out the door, then it hit her they were going to her parent’s house. “Oh no mom!” she could almost hear her mother’s voice telling her “she was her precious gift from the goddess.” When Gabby was just a little girl. She closed her eyes feeling a crushing pain in her chest. Then she felt something change like the air around her shifted and the smell of fresh baked bread assaulted her senses. She opened her eyes and found herself in her mother’s kitchen.
It was large and homey with white cabinets, windows all around letting the sun light stream into the room. Gabby felt the stress start to melt away with the feel of the room and the smell of the bread. That was until her mother walked in humming to herself as she took the loaf of bread out of the oven.

“Hmm, Daniel should love this. It came out perfect.” She stated cheerfully to the empty room. Gabby went to hug her mother forgetting about not being able to touch or be seen. She fell right through her mother, but Gabby noticed the intake of breath and her mother looking around suddenly.

“Is there someone there?” Her mother asked the empty room.

“Yes! I’m here mom! Please I’m not gone yet! Please, please hear me!” Gabby pleaded hopeful that her mother could really sense her. Her mother continued to look around until she heard the doorbell ring. “No! Don’t answer the door! Please Mom don’t go.” Gabby tried standing in front of her mother to block the door but her mother just walked right through her. Gabby followed knowing who was on the other side of the door.

Her mother opened the door a smile lighting her face when she seen Calen, but it quickly vanished when she seen the grief stricken look he gave her it was then she noticed the police officer behind him.

“Oh Goddess no.” She whispered pulling Calen into her arms to comfort him.

“I’m so sorry she… she’s gone.” He said brokenly between sobs.

“Come on let’s go inside and sit down. Please come in and follow me.” She told the officer and turned to lead Calen into the sitting room.

Gabby watched helpless to console her family as they walked into the sitting room. Calen was so overcome he had not noticed her as he walked by. She was glad she didn’t want him acting like he was crazy around the officer. She would wait until it was just her mother and Calen in the room alone before she made her presence known. Gabby followed and stopped just outside the room so she could listen and peek in.

“I’m sorry for your loss Mrs. Austin, but I need to ask you a few questions.” The officer began once they were all seated.

“Of course, but first I have a few of my own.” She stated “What happened and when…” The officer left a few hours later no closer to catching the killer than when he arrived.

Mrs. Austin closed the door and walked back to the sitting room where Calen was waiting. “Alright, Gabby show yourself.” She called into the room.

“Coleen what are you doing?” Calen jumped up alarmed at the outburst.

Gabby’s mother crossed the room and took his hand. “Sweet heart you know our beliefs. We are Wiccan and believe in spirits. Right before you arrived I had a feeling like I was not alone and now I know why Gabby is still here.” She turned not letting go of his hand “Now Gabby show yourself right now it’s just us and your father won’t be home until tomorrow night.”

Gabby walked slowly into the room looking like a child that had just been caught doing something wrong. She watched as Calen took two steps back. “Please don’t, Calen I’m real I promise. I’m just as confused and scared as you are.” Gabby pleaded

Coleen watched Calen’s reaction. “Well don’t keep her all to yourself. What is she saying?”

Calen stepped forward and put his hand out to touch Gabby’s face but stopped just before touching her. “I love you.” He whispered hoarsely

“I love you too.” She answered and placed her hand next to his face. They stood there like that for a few moments then Gabby broke the moment. “You have to tell my mom about everything! She might be able to help us.”

“Alright.” Calen agreed as he turned to Coleen, he took her hand and led Gabby’s mother to the loveseat. “Gabby wants me to tell you everything.” Coleen nodded and sat quietly as Calen explained what had happened.

Gabby waited until he was done then pulled the dagger out and handed it to Calen. He took hold of the hilt his hand blending with Gabby’s and for a split second they could feel each other. When Gabby let go the dagger materialized in his hand.

Coleen let out a gasps as she stared at the dagger, the hilt was made of ivory with intricate designs carved into it. The blade was double edged with ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs etched down the center. The writing was glowing an eerie blue now that Calen was holding it.

“By the Gods It’s beautiful I’ve heard of the Anubis Blade but never dreamed of actually seeing it.” Coleen said as she stared in awe at the blade.

Calen went to hand the dagger to Gabby’s mom so she could get a closer look, but she jumped back holding her hands up. “No, I can’t touch it!” She yelped

“What do you mean?” Calen asked confused at her reaction. “I’m holding it.”

“That’s because you are the one meant to use it. I’m not, so if I try to touch it I will die and my soul will be trapped until it’s extracted.” She explained to Calen then turned to the empty room “Sweet heart didn’t Silvia explain this to you?”

“Tell her no, that there wasn’t time.” Gabby answered.

“She said there wasn’t time.” Calen recited.

“Not time? Not time! Well that just … You don’t give a new spirit something like the Anubis Dagger and not teach them to use it!” She ranted “Follow me!” She turned and lead them upstairs mumbling about idiotic guardians as they walked into her alter room. Unlike most Wiccans she was very open about her spiritual beliefs. Coleen walked over to her book shelves and looked through the books she came to an old hand written book that looked like it had seen better days, the leather cover was old and cracked and the pages were weathered. She opened the book gently and flipped through a few pages.

“Ah, here it is.” Her mother said as she turned the book toward them. “The Anubis Dagger forged by Anubis to capture souls unwilling to leave this world or to stop demons from ricking havoc in this world. Only the ones chosen for the task of retrieval may wield the dagger, all others shall die with just a touch. Once the soul has been trapped in the dagger the wielder of the dagger must present it to Anubis so the soul within can be judged.” Coleen lectured “So the two of you must be very careful with handling it.”

Calen paled “I could have killed you.”

“But you didn’t and now you know.” Coleen stated then she went to her cupboards “Now on to more important things.” She grabbed different bottles and containers. Then she grabbed candles and incense. She mixed a bunch of different dried herbs together and poured oil over them then she put them over a small candle and she lit it. Coleen worked quick and efficient then she began to chant. “Spirit caught between, I call you now be seen.” She chanted this three times then lit a black candle. Silver smoke billowed out of the candle and enveloped Gabby.

“Ahh there you are dear.” Coleen said cheerfully as she moved to stand in front of Gabby.

Gabby looked at her mother tears in both their eyes. “You can see me?” Gabby asked.

“Of course do you think something like becoming a spirit would keep me away from my daughter?” Her mother replied smiling through her tears.

“Oh mom, I don’t know what to do! I didn’t want this!” Gabby cried

“I know sweet heart we will figure this out I promise.” Colleen told her daughter.

Calen watched with relief as Colleen interacted with her daughter. He had started to think he was going crazy. “What do we do now?” He asked

“Now the two of you need to get some rest.” Colleen answered “Calen take Gabby to the guest room and lay down for a while.
“What are you going to do mom? Gaby asked

“I’m going to do a little research on the dagger and then I’m making dinner.”

Calen turned to Gaby and went to put his hand on her back. Instead his hand went through her and he felt the tingling feeling where she should be. “God, I don’t think I will ever get use to this. But if this is the only way I can have you, I’ll take it.”

***

Colleen started moving the few pieces of furniture in the center of her alter room out of the way to give her enough space. After that she grabbed five white candles out of one of her cabinets. She turned and looked down at the floor there was a pentacle drawn on the floor with beautiful Celtic knots woven all around it. She placed a candle on each of the points of the pentacle then went to a different cabinet and pulled out some sandalwood incense then sat down in the middle of the pentacle. Colleen got comfortable closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths to center herself.

After a few moments the circle started glowing and the candles lit of their own accord. Colleen opened her eyes” I know you’re here. Show yourself.” She called out into the empty room.

Silvia appeared in front of her. “Hello Colleen.”

Colleen stood up looking the spirit in the eye. “I see you are just as incompetent in the afterlife as you were when you were alive.”

“And I see you are still sticking your nose in where it does not belong.” Silvia countered

“I’m not going to sit here and squabble with you like a couple of children. Tell me about the creature that took my child from me.” Colleen demanded

“Fine it’s a demon by the name Abaddon. We think he’s making a play for more power. The best that we can tell his plan is to tip the scale by throwing the balance of fate all out of whack. He’s been going after mortals: would be doctors, peace makers, and the like. He had upped the anti by killing your daughter. She would have done amazing community work with kids but now we can use her to track this guy down and eliminate him. We don’t know if the demon knew she was a witch or not.” Silvia reported reluctantly.

“So this demon may have made his first mistake.” Colleen mused “Well then I guess we have our work cut out for us.”
“I am truly sorry about your daughter but you have to leave this to us. You know you cannot interfere.” Silvia offered
“Thank you for your input but the rules were broken the moment Abbaddon started killing. So let me make myself clear I am going to help my daughter and Calen prepare for hunting this demon. As for you if you screw this up and let something happen to either of those kids fighting this demon will seem like child’s play when I come for you.” Silvia warned, her eyes glowing an eerie blue.

Silvia took a step back fearfully. “Understood.” And she vanished. The candles went out and everything returned to normal. Colleen thanked the four corners and opened her circle then went about putting everything back to its normal place. After everything was put back Colleen went down stairs to start dinner.

***
Calen and Gabby walked down stairs to the guest room. Calen shut the door behind them then went and sprawled out on the bed. He laid there and watched as Gabby walked around the room nervously. She would stop and look at something the picture of her parents sitting on the dresser. She looked lost and alone and it was breaking Calen’s heart.

“Gabby.” He called gently; she turned and looked at him. “Sweetheart come sit next to me. Please come talk to me.” He pleaded and patted the space next to him. Gabby walked over and sat down.

“Well that’s great I can sit on a bed, not that I can feel it, but I can’t touch you.” She stated angrily

Calen sat next to her wishing he could pull her into his arms, but he knew the attempt would just upset Gabby more. “Let’s experiment a little.” He offered with a small smile.

“With what?” She asked intrigued

“When you handed me the dagger I could feel you. Well not exactly feel… it was more like sparks I guess. So let’s try again, try to touch me.”

Gabby gave him a doubtful look but reached out to brush a strand of hair off his forehead. She couldn’t move it but she felt the tingle and seen the little blue sparks where her hand touched his skin.

“Hmm, that feels good.” Calen hummed as he closed his eyes. “Do you think you could do that until I fall asleep?” He asked quietly the exhaustion of the day evident in his voice.

“Happily.” She whispered and began stroking his forehead slowly. Calen settled in a small smile on his lips. “That feels really good.” He stated as he drifted off to sleep.

***

Colleen was in the kitchen serving up steaming bowls of beef stew and sliced bread that she had baked earlier. She knew Calen and Gabby would be out shortly because she could hear Calen moving around.

Calen and Gabby walked into the kitchen just as Colleen put the last bowl on the kitchen table. Colleen looked up and smiled at the couple. “Come eat, it will help with the fatigue.” Colleen stated

Calen sat down and smiled “Hmm, Gabby’s favorite…” He quickly looked over at Gabby. “Umm, can she eat?” He asked

“No, but you can and you need to.” Colleen stated then looked at Gabby. “She could however sit down.” And Colleen pulled the chair out next to Calen before she took her own seat.

Gabby quickly sat down and gave Calen a reassuring smile. “It’s alright I can still smell it, but I’m not hungry. Come to think of it I’m not really tired either.”

No, and you won’t be. Food and rest was for your body. Now that you are a spirit you don’t need those things.” Colleen answered

Gabby looked over at her suspiciously “Mom you seem to know a lot about all of this. What’s going on?”

“Of course I know some of this stuff. Your father and I have been studying ancient history, lore, and myth our entire loves. Not to mention the fact that we are pagan.” Her mother reasoned

“So do you think dad will be able to help us? I mean after the shock of seeing me as a ghost.” Gabby asked

“Daniel can definitely help. One of his specialties is Demonology and we need to find out all we can on this Abaddon that we can.” Colleen answered

Calen stopped eating and looked over at Colleen “Who is Abaddon?”

“The demon we are after.” She stated simply

“And how do you know that?” Calen asked

“Because while you were resting I decided to have a little chat with Gabby’s spirit guide.” Colleen answered.

“Ok so what do we do from here?” Calen asked obviously feeling out of his element.

“Now we finish eating then the two of you work on getting use to Gabby being a ghost while I make a phone call to Daniel. He is not going to be happy about all this.” Colleen said as she grabbed another slice of bread out of the bread basket.
***
To Be Continued....
Please Review and let me know what you think or just email me at mckplk@writing.com if you want I would love to hear from you. Thanks Megan.

© Copyright 2012 Author Megan Kuykendall (mckplk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1860211-The-Last-Goodbye