*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1861356-Down-the-Rabbit-Hole
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1861356
I wrote this in ninth grade. Hope you like it!

         It’s so dark, almost comforting, but I’m still falling. How long have I been falling? Weeks, days, maybe only seconds. It’s too dark to see anything, so the only way to pass the time is feeling the wind rushing past me, and my own thoughts. Stupid rabbit, making me think something important was down here. It’s only darkness and a cold hard ground. How long have I been on the ground, was my fall shorter than I thought? What was it that rabbit had been saying?

         “I’m late; I’m late, for a very pretty date!” Yeah right, if I can’t get a date, then neither can a creepy, stuck up rabbit, who leads girls down holes that go nowhere. What’s that? There’s something running towards me, holy crap it’s fast. Okay just remember self-defence, never mind, it’s just the stupid rabbit.

         “There you are my dear, you must follow me quickly,” he whispers in an urgent yet enchanting voice.

         “I’m not going anywhere with you, you’re the one who brought me down here in the first place. I’m going home so just go away. Besides aren’t you late for a very pretty date?” I mock. Man this rabbit’s annoying; now I know why animals can’t talk.

         “She stood me up, now come on, there’s only one way out of here and you’ll never find it unless you follow me right now,” Hmm, now his enchanting voice has been replaced with a harsh raspy voice. He’s a grumpy little bunny. Without another word he grabs my arm, and starts dragging me away from the hole that brought me to this musty tunnel. We walk in an awkward silence, neither of us knowing what to say to the other. What does one say to a talking rabbit? Do your ears hang or wobble to and fro? Somehow I don’t think he appreciate the question. A half hour passes before we finally come to a small door that only comes up to my waist with an eerie dancing light spilling out from around the edges. I’m starting to get a sense of déjà vu, like I’ve been here before or read it in a book somewhere. The rabbit glances up at me then back at the door.

         “I’m afraid it might be a bit of a tight fit for you my dear,” he admits.

         “Are you calling me fat? You know it wouldn’t be that hard for me to step on you,” I huff self consciously covering my belly. I know I shouldn’t have had that third hot dog last night.

         “Oh don’t get you panties in a twist, I’m just saying that this door is pretty small compared to other doors,” he rolls his eyes and pulls out a small key. “What I’m about to show you is for your eyes only, no one must ever know about this place. If the world knew about it, it would mean the destruction of the universe. I promise that as long as you stay close to me, no harm will come to you. But if we are separated for even a minute you will never make it out of here alive,” With a slightly creepy grin, the rabbit unlocks the door and takes my hand. I get down on my hands and knees and crawl through the small opening, trying not to dwell too much on the fact that it is a tight fit. I look up into this new world and try to wrap my mind around what I see. Everything here is. . .

         I am sorry to leave the story at such a place, but what follows, no one can ever know about. I have never been superstitious or paranoid, in fact I pride myself on being able to stay calm in stressful situations, but what I saw that day has changed me forever. I can tell you nothing about the location of the rabbit hole or what lay inside of it. This experience has changed me and I may never be the same. I can tell you one thing about my adventures. I eventually found out that the rabbits name was Humphrey. I thought it was a strange name for a rabbit but who am I to judge. The rest of this tale I will leave to your imagination, but be warned, if you see something that doesn’t seem to fit, please ignore it, for if you don’t, you could find yourself I the most unpleasant of situations.
© Copyright 2012 Charlotte (future_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1861356-Down-the-Rabbit-Hole