*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1861857-Silence
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1861857
And simply.. she let him into her world.
"Look, over there" and she pointed to a place by the river under a tree. He asked her to take him to the place where she's free, since she kept repeating she never feels free. Today, she just asked him if he wants to see that place where she is free. "But, I warn you-" she said "in my mind I'm there more often, but there's no one there but me."
The river wasn't beautiful, it was actually a typically ugly river with dirty water but the view was relaxing. "This is where my mind is free. It's just me and the peace and quiet of the nature. The water calms me down. This is my world."
They set down under the tree and stared at the water, both of them silent. It was after a few minutes that she finally spoke up.


"Tell me something."
He sat quietly waiting for her to continue and tell him what she wants to hear, but no words escaped her lips.
"What?" he asked, confused.
She simply shrugged her shoulders. "Anything."
"I don't know. My life is kinda boring."
She chuckled. She didn't know what to say either.
"So, we're gonna sit here in complete silence?"
"I thought that's how you like your world."
"Not with someone in it." she replied and smiled.
It's been a while since she felt comfortable enough to talk about her world with anyone. Sometimes, it felt as if no one will ever truly get her and understand. But for some weird reason her new friend did. And in not too much time he became that friend she always wanted in life - someone who is there whenever you need them and someone who understands you completely, every spoken or unspoken word in your mind.
"Maybe... maybe we have to be miserable." he said and she wasn't sure what he was referring to. Once he spotted her clueless puzzled expression he continues. "In order to truly appreciate happiness. Maybe we have to really suffer before we risk doing what we love, before we risk cut open our heart. Or maybe we just love misery, maybe it makes us feel human."
She stayed silent for a few seconds, sorting out his words. "Being miserable doesn't make you better than anyone else. It just makes you fucking miserable."
"That's... beautifully put. You have a way with words."
She laughed. "And you should watch TV more often, that was House MD quote."
They both laughed at this one. "Still, it takes brains to pick the right quotes. And I'm sure the fucking part is all yours."
She laughed. "Thanks, that means a lot." she said and smiled before turning her head to the river, staring into the distance and nothingness, enjoying the sun rays and the silence that filled the air again.

It's been said that true friends enjoy sitting in silence together, and walking away feeling like it was the best conversation they ever had. I think that's exactly what we all need. Sometimes, it's more than enough just to have someone by your side, words are completely not needed. Maybe it doesn't change things and doesn't fix them. But, at least for a little while, it makes you feel better and loved. It makes you feel like someone cares. And most of the time, that's exactly what we need in order to really fix things.
© Copyright 2012 Noise Doll (noise_persona at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1861857-Silence