*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862094-Meile
by Rjkerr
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1862094
A tale about 2 lovers and their struggle against the might of Europe's largest empires
Chapter 1
The cold winters wind snapped bitterly at him, his hands trembled as the frost creped through him, the welcoming warmth that had once radiated from his car was now all but a distant memory as he struggled through the snow, hoping, praying the elements would end their assault. As Kyle collapsed into the ground giving in to the weather, his teeth clattered violently as he rubbed his arms to generate heat, as he began to give up as for he was hours away from his wagon and hours away from civilization. The world seemed to collapse on young kyle as his eye lids grew heavy and heart sorrowful, to die alone in such a way was unimaginable yet here he was.

A voice erupted from several feet away, her voice was soft and smooth, it made his chest tighten with excitement as he stared up at the girl ahead of him, she was adorned in plenty of clothing and the weather had battered her face, yet she was still a beautiful sight to behold. She came closer and he caught her scent, just as angelic. She helped him to his feet, his legs nearly giving away. Suddenly the cold seemed to matter less. The last sight Kyle saw were her sparkling eyes before he slipped into the darkness of sleep.

Kyle opened his dark eyes to a well lit cabin, warmth flowed through his body and sent relief through him. The wooden cabin was small and lit by scented candles which reminded him of the smell of crushed pine oak and memories of his child hood. Across from him sat a dark haired beauty who was watching his dark eyes intently, he recognized her instantly “T-thank you.” He croaked, his throat was dry. She nodded and smiled at him calmly, offering a hot cup to him, he took it gratefully from her gentle hands. “I’m Katherine.” She said softly.

Kyle felt his cheeks turn red as he stared at her, she coughed gently and stood up hurrying into an adjoining room. Kyle stood up and walked over after her, his legs were still cold and he realized he was half naked, his cheeks instantly flushed red once more. Katherine let out a giggle and turned around, Kyle escaped the room and pulled on his trousers before rejoining her in an awkward fashion, he watched her for a few moments with his dark eyes, admiring her beauty and scent. “Um..Thank you Katherine.” He said uneasily, being rescued by a woman in the 1800’s was quite embarrassing for him. She simply grinned, seemingly satisfied.

Katherine was a pretty young thing, she wore long and beautiful dresses and would often wander aimlessly though the woodlands of her humble abode, like a graceful goddess she hovered across the room delicately and glanced back at him.”Why are you out here alone Kyle?” She asked. “I would ask you the seem thing Mrs Katherine.” He retorted gently. “Where is your husband?” Kyle asked carefully placing his words. Katherine felt her cheeks tinge red as she answered with equal care “What husband?” Kyle grinned. Katherine twirled a piece of straw then looked at Kyle “I live here you silly man, what are you doing out here?” She asked him with an unmoving stare.

Kyle walked over to her, each step made him feel uncomfortable as he felt awkward and clumsy around the graceful beauty. “I was on my way to Vilnius to deliver something…” He said frowning gently, his tanned feature seeming to age a little. “Deliver what?” Katherine questioned. He smiled at her curiosity and seemed to gain his youth once more, like an eager child he grinned. “Now Miss Katherine, that would be rude.” Katherine pouted her lips at the challenge.”I don’t give up.” Kyle smiled and settled by a wooden chess set “Beat me Miss Katherine and I shall tell you.” She contemplated this and then nodded “If you win?” Kyle smiled charmingly.”I get a kiss.”

4 hours and several games later Kyle had won their games but Katherine denied his kiss claiming it to be unfair, to this Kyle simply smiled and began a new game. Now that the day was old and both players tired they settled by the fire, flames dancing in their eyes. Katherine slowly drifted into a sleep but Kyle was to eager, he wanted to impress her and to please her he just wasn’t sure how. Eventually he took to sleep himself. The next morning was bitterly cold, as if Mother Nature held a grudge against it’s occupants. The snow fell heavily turning the roads to unrecognizable patterns in the winter land. A hawk squawked in the distance and roused Kyle, he glanced to his side, and Katherine had awoken early and was by the table drawing.

Kyle joined her smiling when he saw the portrait. “Do you draw all the men you rescue from a frosty death?” He teased, secretly impressed by her talent. She pouted her lips then giggled “Only the ones I try to keep around.” This made him blush. “Where are we Miss Katherine?” He questioned, she glanced at him. “In a cabin.” He looked at her for several long, lingering moments. “Fine, we’re in Kaunus Mountain.” She said, smiling at the shock on Kyle’s face. “You were lost weren’t you… Oh and I want to know what you were delivering.” Kyle thought for several moments…

”Fine I was delivering…..A letter to an esteemed gentleman, it was from his son regarding Napoleon and the French… I can’t tell you more Miss Katherine but I soon must be off, for the sake of Lithuania. “ She was displeased by this answer. The French? Napoleon? Lithuania? She pushed those thoughts from her mind. “When do you have to go?” She asked uneasily. “As soon as possible.” Kyle answered, frowning and resting himself on the table. “Can’t you stay for a few more days? The weather is horrible…” Kyle glanced out the window and nodded in agreement… It would be better to travel in good conditions. “Fine…A few more days…” Inside he was rejoicing for his this opportunity to spend more time with this beautiful girl.

The days seemed to soar by for Kyle, he longed to spend eternity with Katherine, to hold her in his arms, to smell her scent and to protect her from harm, his passion for her was so great it tempted him from his duty but on that first day of summer he knew he had to leave. Katherine had given him supplies for his trip, as he began meandering down the mountain pass she called after him, he turned to find her darting towards him, before he could react she looped her delicate arms around him and pulled him into a long and passionate kiss. He held her for several long moments and then let go ending their romantic embrace. He smiled and held her hands for what seemed like hours but was mere seconds. "Good bye Miss Katherine." He said softly releasing her hands and departing.

He followed the river as it bubbled and danced past stones, like a lively child it darted right and left, the river was Kyle's company as he traveled, it's sparkle and joy reminded him of her eyes, it's soft, refreshing test reminded him of her lips, when he camped at night it was she who haunted his dreams.As he reached the city, the largest city in Lithuania, Vilnius he let out a sigh. This was the realization that he had left Katherine, left the beauty of the mountains, he had left the peace of that life that could not be...

The city was alive with activity, children begged for coin as soldiers marched by with stone faces and fearsome weapons, the city was trapped within a large stone wall that taunted the rebellious nature of it's occupants. The streets were shrouded with dirt and death wherever he went, no doubt due to the cruelty of the Russian Emperor . A young boy pulled on his wrist, making Kyle look over. The young boy was weak and pale, his eyes full of sorrow and avoid of hope. He muttered and Kyle could not understand him, yet he knew what the boy wanted. Tossing some coin to him he gave the boy a gentle smile before he scurried off.

As Kyle left the boy and began towards a backstreet ally, he was stopped."Stop you pig!" Came the sharp order from a Russian man, Kyle turned slowly, adapting a calm appearance "Yes?" He asked politely, the Russian seemed in to smile cruelly."I know you..." Kyle's face dropped and his chest felt as if a knife of molten lava and carved through him. "Peteri..." He said, his voice dry.

End of part 1.

Feed back please, it's really my first attempt at a Romance so please be gentle with your reviews.
© Copyright 2012 Rjkerr (rjkerr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862094-Meile