*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862572-Beginning-of-Novel-NEED-FEEDBACK
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1862572
Nothing is as it seems
Chapter 1

“I thought you said this plan was all in order?” roared a large man in an excessively eccentric cockney accent, he was standing looking down on a round table filled to the brim with equally as tough looking men, “We’re leaving tomorrow for fucks sake! Or has that part of the plan changed too?” All the men were leaning in towards one person on the table that had an air of confidence about him, he was clean shaven, sharply dressed and captured the attention of everyone in the room. The round table was in the corner of a deserted old English pub, all the curtains were closed, all the doors bolted shut and all the lights off bar one; the one directly above the team that on first views looked like a pack of London thugs. The confident man looked as if he was about to speak but “ this is fucking ridiculous, everything‘s gone down the shitter now, I’ve shut up pub, fired all the staff, told my wife she can do one too! I’m going to have to try and get that cunt back, urgh and I though I’d be swanning back into town next week with the creme de la creme that the female population had to offer. Shit.” The large man interrupted and with that he sat down, heavily staring into the distance as if he was remembering a favorite dream for the last time.
“For starters, stop fucking swearing” The confident man spoke “your upsetting the lads” he gave a loving nod to the rest of the table who all mirrored his action with agreement causing the large man to look dumbfounded. “Now that you’ve had your rant Tom can we please continue with the plan?” All of the men looked at one another “Yes the plans still going ahead” cheers erupted from around the table “you don’t think one little problem would out do a years hard preparation” he said reassuringly “they have swapped the ship for a newer generation of fleets?” he questioned across the table, once again his actions were mirrored.
“Yes Mark” agreed a handsome young fellow whose wealth added to Marks seemed to outweigh the rest of the table put together, his suit was a crisp white, his walking stick shone brightly even with the lack of lighting and his hair was long, clean and swept back to show his defining cheekbones.
“What can you tell me about the engine?”
“There isn’t one” he laughed whilst running his fingers through his hair; The rest of the table broke out into conversations among themselves, the handsome man quickly changed his expression to the deadliest seriousness and leaned forward “no engine, no fuel, no costs. These new fleets are saving the boating industry a packet” his eyes darted around the table, he then shifted to the edge of his seat further leaning into the table “I’ve been monitoring these ships for a while now and I’ve seen trips across the Atlantic, around the World even without a single stop to re fuel, I have asked around and not a single mechanic was ever assigned to the engines. Now; this is where it gets interesting, a group of scientists boarded in Hamburg, I’m talking the real business, high security level access, security guards surrounding them at all times and even lab coats, no one was ever aloud near them. Well, except from James of course” he once again broke into a laugh whilst pointing at himself. His face returned stern. “I was sitting in a pub in Dover where the ship was decked for an excursion and in walks one of these science blokes; well, I quickly grabbed him and took him into the lads, I locked the door and started beating him about, I was careful not to hit the face as to raise suspicion but he quickly started talking; so I asked him how the ship run? He said that they have developed a new way to convert energy into Kinetic energy to make the ship move; fair enough? but when I asked him where they got the energy from or how it works he went quiet, all he would tell me is that it is impenetrable from any outside source, no one can stop the ship, start the ship, slow the ship or alter the Movement in any way which is great considering the main part of our plan is to stop it moving halfway across the Atlantic! I asked him to describe this new device that converts energy and he said its like an orb of light, unlike anything else in existence, he said it had a magical quality to it and the scientists jobs were to try and harness its energy, they are as clueless as we are to what it is.”
“What the hell are we going to do now!” ranted Tom, all eyes turned to him except James’s whose eyes remained exactly where they were as if he was waiting for the attention to return to him “we have to stop the ship mid journey, that is absolutely crucial to our plan but how the hell are we supposed to cease movement from an impenetrable source?” Mark sat back in his chair and there was silence for all of about 10 seconds.
‘What if we shot this energy device? That would surely break it?” spoke one of the men
“Karl then how the fuck would we get it started agin? We can only stop it for a short amount of time and we cant be stranded mid Atlantic!” barked Tom.
“How about re directing the energy for an amount of time? Energy cannot be destroyed only reused so if we had something big enough to harness the energy we could stop the ship and then somehow transfer the energy back?” spoke the cleverest looking of the bunch
“No, no, no” Mark said calmly “ Too long, too tricky and how the hell are we going to get something that big onto the vessel without raising suspicion?” all the men looked hopelessly around at one another each slowly noticing in their own time that James had not moved, he still had a fixed stare with purpose behind his eyes.
“James?”
James adjusted his suit, got back into position and said “Don’t you get it? It had a magical quality to it” he looked around at everyone on the table “What we need is a witch.” He smiled, leant back into his chair, silence fell.
“And I know exactly where to find one” added Mark.

Chapter 2

An endless cobble stoned path paved the way to a cottage. A cottage surrounded by trees. Trees that inhabited not even the smallest of creatures. Everything about this setting was unnatural, everything seemed as if it was intruding, as if it didn’t belong there and nothing looked more out of place then the 9 large men striding towards the heart of the strange. The only thing that felt belonging was the silence which no one dared to break. No one except Tom.
“Oh my hell” he spoke, the volume amplified with each discerning look on his face “We’re bringing some outsider in on the job who lives in a mental pit like this” each man looked to Tom, their expressions breaded a mix between caution and understanding, their eyes slowly looked around before Mark moved to the forefront.
“Come on” Mark nodded towards the cottage and went off in its direction, everyone followed. Tom hesitated yet quickly followed them knowing the benefits would hugely outweigh the risks if their plan were to be successful. The sounds of the dragging suitcases were getting louder and louder the closer the group got to the alone building until finally they all stopped.
“Who’s going to knock on the door?”
© Copyright 2012 Hannah Evans (hevans2012 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862572-Beginning-of-Novel-NEED-FEEDBACK