*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863502-Shes-Ready-to-Run
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Family · #1863502
Being a mom just might kill me yet!
Every mother out there knows the joys and misery of raising children. One day life is perfectly wonderful then out of nowhere, you wish you were lying in a hammock on some desert island being fed grapes by a group of hot little cabana boys! Kids will do this to you! OFTEN!

My greatest horror as a mother is still very vivid in my mind. Imagine, if you will, showing up to preschool for your little precious daughters one beautiful, sunshiney, Florida day. Immediately you notice things are not normal: people are scurrying everywhere, lots of men in suits are around; the fire department is present...it's just not the typical afternoon in Paradise. And as you walk down the hallway holding the hand of your sweet little toddler man, all eyes are on you! Yep, something fishy is going on around here! My worst nightmare continues like this...

As I became closer to my five-year-old daughter's classroom, the teacher asked me to come inside for a minute. As we entered, so did a group of people, none of which I'd ever seen before. Now I recognize danger when I see it, and I was on guard. She started stumbling around trying to give me some explanations I no longer remember. I told her to just say the words; I need to know what she's trying to say. She said it. And I'll never forget it as long as I live! "We can't find Emrald."

The words sank in quickly and my reaction was swift! I took off running out of the classroom, screaming her name, up the street. It was then I discovered the search party already out looking for her. What about my other two children? I don't know. I just left them there!! Isn't that crazy?! But I wasn't thinking clearly at that point. Give me a break already!

As I was running up the street toward home, all sorts of horrible terrors playing in my mind (I watch a lot of scary movies, by the way), a man pulled up beside me and asked if I was looking for a little blonde girl. What?! How did he know this?

Now I would never ever under any circumstances get in the car with a stranger! EVER! But he just said the magic words! I knew that he either 1) saw Emrald and could give me some information or 2) did something unspeakable and I was about to gut him where he sat! Either way, I was ready; I got in without hesitation!

He told me he had seen her walking in the grass. I gave him directions, and he drove me home. There behind a huge potted palm tree I found the little shit, squatting down waiting for someone to get home! I could've killed her at that moment, but all I could do is hold her and cry! I have never felt more relief in my life...so happy and thankful and relieved!

We got in the car, and he drove us back to the preschool. I don't remember if I thanked him; I'm sure I did, but it's all so hazy. I'll always be grateful to him for his help that day.

I walked up the hallways, toward the office, holding Emrald, crying and almost unable to breathe. People were clapping and crying themselves at this point. When I walked into the office, my other two babies were there. They were playing, being lovingly protected from the incident. The youngest had no idea what was going on, but Madison knew something had happened with her sister; she heard whispers, but didn't know exactly what was going on. When we entered the room, she immediately jumped up and asked, "What happened, Emrald?" I was happy that they were being cared for so well.

I think I should say now that I do not, nor did I ever, blame the preschool for this. After hearing my daughter's explanation, how could I? Who would EVER imagine a five-year-old could be capable of such a thing? Here's her recollection from that night:

Apparently she and a group of her friends decided they missed their mommies and were finished with school for the day. They wanted to walk home. At recess they concocted a plan to sneak out. So they all took a restroom break together, hid in the classroom, and waited for an opportunity to leave. The other girls came to their senses and backed out before actually leaving campus. My little angel followed through and left.

When I later asked her why she would do that and does she realize how dangerous that is, she told me that she had "run the whole way and only stopped once, to look at a dead bird. It wasn't dangerous at all." What does a five-year-old know anyway?!

To this day, when I ride past that preschool, the metal gates that were erected after this incident still bring a smile to my face...and a little bit of the gut-wretching horror from that day. And when I see the preschool director, I'm told that she still tells incoming parents that they've only ever lost one child, and she was found! Isn't it great when you know you've left a legacy and people still remember your family 16 years later?!

Damn kids!!
© Copyright 2012 QueenPhatJesus (queenphatjesus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863502-Shes-Ready-to-Run