*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863680-Modern-Fairy-Tales-The-Girl-and-the-Boy
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1863680
A modern fairy tale of innocence and magic. Part one of six.
         Once upon a time...

         There lived a girl named Lilly.

         She wasn't popular. She wasn't smart. She wasn't what her classmates found as attractive. Every day she went to school, listening to the hushed murmurs as she walked the halls. She tried her hardest to ignore them, but it was difficult.

         Everyday she would stop outside one classroom. She didn't care who saw. She would look through the door. Jake always sat with his friends. But she only ever looked at Jake. Every night, she would wish he'd say something to her.

         One day, as she was walking to school, a young man came around the corner and smiled at her. "Good morning, Lilly," he grinned.

         "I'm sorry, who are you?" she quickly replied.

         "Come now, you never had any fairy tale bedtime stories? I'm your fairy god brother," he explained. Lilly scoffed in disbelief as she passed by him. "Your birth father left you as a child, you have a cat name Wally, you secretly love the color green, and you have a crush on Jake from third period geometry." he stated without turning around. Lilly stopped.

         "How do you know these things?! Are you stalking me?" she shouted.

         "No. I am your fairy god brother. And I have come to help you."

         "With what?"

         "Getting you together with the man of your dreams."

         "You mean... Jake? The smart, handsome, and kind Jake?"

         "As I said, I'm here to get you, together with your dream man."

         "How?" Lilly asked finally approaching the man. He slowly turned around with a grin on his face.

         "Leave that, my dear, to me," spoke the man as he rounded the corner from which he came. Lilly went to follow, but he was nowhere to be found.

         Lilly continued to school, where she walked the halls of the hushed murmurs and ridicule. As the day grew on, her routine remained the same. And as she walked by Jake's third period class to look at him, she noticed two things different. The first being a new classmate sitting with Jake's friends. And the second, being Jake himself approaching the door way.

         "Lilly, I got a question for you," he began as Lilly stood speechless before her crush. "Would you go to the dance with me this Saturday?" Lilly blushed. Her wish was coming true. She simply giggled as she nodded her head. "Awesome. Meet me outside the gym around five Saturday  night, okay?" Jake said with a wink as he turned back to classroom.

         Lilly was in a constant state of joy the entire day. The following day she didn't even pay attention to the hushed murmurs. And as she walked home the day before the dance she peeked around the corner where she had last seen a man claiming to be her fairy god brother. To her surprise, he stood there. With the same grin she had seen before.

         "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!" she said hugging him.

         "Now, you know how the story works. The princess can't be seen at the ball looking like that," he began. "Tomorrow, go to this salon," he added as he handed her a piece of paper. She opened the note to see the name of the hair salon not too far from where she lived. When she looked up from the note, the man who had given it to her had yet again disappeared.

         Lilly made her way home, excited to see what the salon was going to do for her. As she fell asleep that night, she fantasized about the dance. She pictured herself looking elegant with her new hairstyle and an emerald green dress, dancing the night away with the boy she had long admired. In her sleep, the fantasizing didn't end. She dreamed of her life. Of the first romantic date with Jake, the night he would purpose, the wedding she'd long desired, the day they'd own a beautiful home, the day their first child was born, and the day they sit out on the porch as a old couple still in love. It all seemed to fly by as her alarm sounded and ended the dreams. But now she wanted to make that her reality.

         Lilly arrived at the salon at noon. She was nervous having been there only once. The clerk motioned for her to write down her name and to sit and wait for her name to be called. No sooner had she written her first name, the clerk jumped in surprise. "Oh! You're Lilly," began the woman, "A gentleman said you'd be here soon. He paid a handsome amount to fix up your appointment." Lilly blushed as she smiled. "Gaspar, Lilly is here for her appointment." Lilly looked to see a thin, fashion driven man step out of the back room.

         "Oh dear. You came just in time, sweetie. That hair. Ugh. It has to go," Gaspar stated as he pushed Lilly to the chair. "Now, the handsome gentleman, the one who paid for this, left two photos. He wanted you to pick which style you wanted." Lilly looked over the photos the stylist gave her, but couldn't choose.

         "I like them both. I can't decide."

         "Both? Okay. I can do it," Gaspar said with a smile.

         "Really?!"

         "Miss, I am Gaspar. I can make it work. You are going to be the envy of the dance!" He said waving a grand gesture with his comb. After some of Gaspar's styling and teasing, he turned Lilly to face the mirror. "And how do like it, girly?"

         "I love it! You're amazing, Mr. Gaspar!" Lilly squealed.

         "No mister. Just Gaspar," he corrected. As they walked to the front of the salon, the clerk held out a paper to Lilly.

         "The gentleman who paid for your appointment just stopped by and asked me to give you this," she said as Lilly took the note.

         "And, Francine, give the miss an application. We could use the extra help this summer," Gaspar said turning to wink at Lilly. "You would like working with myself and Ms. Francine, would you not?" Lilly couldn't speak. Not only did one of the area's best hairstylists make a style from two others for her, but he was now offering her a job there. Lilly simply nodded her head. As she walked away waving to the stylist and his clerk, Lilly couldn't help thinking what was on the note. Slowly she opened it.

         "I hope you enjoyed the artistic styling of Gaspar. But, I have another surprise for you. When you get home, open your closet," Lilly read out loud from the note. Her heart raced. She was planning on wearing a pink and white dress she wore to a freshman dance two years ago, but now she couldn't wait to see what was in store for her within her bedroom closet, so she hurried home.

         She opened her closet to find a blue wave pattern garment bag hanging from the rack. She quickly removed the bag from her closet and opened it. Inside was a beautiful and elegant emerald green dress. The same one she had dreamed about. Taped to the hanger was yet another note that simply read, "Look down." Lilly obeyed and looked down to see a box with the same blue wave pattern. Excited, she opened the box to find a pair of shoes matching the style of her dress. Along with the shoes, there was a set of beautiful jewelry consisting of a pair of silver earrings, a silver ring with an elegantly cut emerald, a silver bracelet, and a silver necklace with four emeralds set in the shape of a four leaf clover. Right then she knew it was going to be her special night.

         She fixed up her make-up, and donned her new apparel and jewelry, gave a kiss to her cat, and went to the school's gymnasium. She arrived a quarter till five and began her wait. It was soon five o'clock and no sign of Jake. "Maybe he's just having car troubles," she said to herself as others passed her by. It was soon five thirty, and Lilly sat at the entrance of the gymnasium waiting in silence as her classmates laughed and partied. Finally as six o'clock rolled around, she spotted Jake's car pull into the school parking lot. He got out of the car wearing a black and gray pinstriped suit. She stood up and waited to greet him. Jake turned to her and started laughing.

         "Look, guys. She actually believed me! Like I'd ever take a loser like her to a dance." Lilly felt her fantasies, and the world around her, being to crack apart. It wasn't until Jake helped Amy, the head cheerleader and one of the most popular girls in her class, out of his car that her reality finally shattered. In tears, Lilly ran down the back ally behind the gym.

         "Dude. Not cool," barked one of the football players as he jumped from out of Jake's car and chased after Lilly. He finally found Lilly on the other side of the school. As she sat there crying, he knelt down in front of her. "Are you, okay?" he asked. Before he could receive a response, he realized how stupid of a question he had asked. "What Jake did was totally messed up."

         Lilly slowly lifted her head, still sobbing. "Like you didn't know. You're part of the football team. That makes you one of his friends."

         "Was," he stated. "I just transferred a few days ago. I was on the football team at my last school, and the team was the first people I met. And after tonight, Jake is the last person I'd call a friend," he stated. "Besides, you're the best looking girl in my eyes."

         "You're just saying that," Lilly managed to make out between sobs.

         "It's true. The day Jake asked you to the dance... I..." he explained as he blushed. "My name's Tyler by the way."

         "Lilly."

         "Befitting..."

         "What do you mean?" Lilly asked wiping her eyes.

         "Your name comes from the flower, lily, which represents innocence, purity, and beauty," Tyler began with a smile. "Now, since you obviously don't have a date, will you honor me, by being mine tonight?" He chuckled as he held up one of her shoes. In her hurry to run away from reality, it had slipped off. "Will you be my Cinderella tonight?"

         "No one would believe you invited me..."

         "Funny thing," Tyler began as he stood up from helping Lilly put on her shoe, "This afternoon, when I went to pick up my suit from the dry cleaners, a really happy man gave me a tie. He told me it was lucky." Tyler pulled out a green tie matching the color and style of Lilly's dress. She stared in amazement. Did the man claiming to be her fairy god brother give Tyler that tie? Then she noticed something.

         "It has a four leaf clover pattern on it," she stated as Tyler put it on. "Just like my necklace..."

         "You know, Lilly, green's a good color on you," he chuckled, "Brings out your eyes."

         "And how does green bring out brown, Tyler?" she asked as she finally stood up.

         "Eh. Makes me think of majestic trees. Jeez. You are so plant oriented, aren't you?" he joked.

         "Tyler," she giggled.

         "Please, call me Ty. Now, you ready to go back in?" he said as he bowed before her. She simply giggled.

         The two headed into the gym after Lilly salvaged what her crying had done to her make-up. As soon as they walked in, their classmates quieted and stared. Hushed murmurs Lilly was accustomed to began to fill the room. Lilly went to turn around and exit, but Ty grabbed her hand and tried to get her to dance. When he pulled her closer to slow dance, he whispered something in her ear.

         "Ignore them. You are the most beautiful flower in this room. And it's now time for them, to take notice."

         And with that Ty picked up the pace as he and Lilly tore up the dance floor. Many of their classmates began to whoop and holler in admiration of the couple's dance. Some of them even joined in. After the song had finished, Ty gestured for Lilly to bow with him. After a round of applause, one by one, their classmates approached them.

         "That was awesome!"

         "I had, like, no idea you could dance so, like, wow, Lilly."

         "Hey new guy, way to cut a rug with a hottie!"

         "Lilly, as your lab partner, I now see you aren't just brains. You're beauty too."

         For once, Lilly felt accepted by her peers. Lilly spent the night like she had fantasized. Only better. She laughed with new friends. Danced with some of the guys who'd been too scared for their own popularity to talk to her. She boasted the artistic styling of Gaspar to the girls. She shared a few dances and even a drink with the only boy to ask her out. And all the while, she never let go of Ty's hand. He simply smiled just to see her smile.

         "Attention students," began the principal as he walked out onto the dance floor. "I have the results of this year's dance king, queen, prince, and princess." Lilly shied to the wall. Amy always got queen. But what would happen if her name was called. Even as princess. "This year's prince and princess are... Jake and Amy!" Jake glanced at Amy to see her getting irritated. The couple walked up on stage and, though disgruntled, accepted their crowns and sashes.

         "And this year's king and queen are... Lilly and Tyler!"

         The room filled with cheers and applause. Lilly tried to make an escape to the exit, only to be swept off her feet and carried on stage. And, as she was set down to receive her title as dance queen, she noticed something. She looked at the DJ to see a man. A man with a smile she couldn't forget.

         "Ty. Is that the man who gave you the green tie? The guy at the DJ booth," she whispered into his ear. Tyler turned to look. He looked back into Lilly's eyes with a raised eyebrow and shook his head. Lilly looked again. The man claiming to be her fairy god brother had yet again, disappeared. "He must have come to check up on me," she whispered to herself. After receiving their crowns and sashes, and another bow, Ty hugged Lilly.

         "Let's give them all a big hand!" the principal shouted.

         "May I?" Ty asked the principal, reaching for the microphone. The principal simply nodded and handed Tyler the mic.

         "Hey, everyone. I'm the new guy, Tyler. Ty for short. And I've only been in your school for a short while. But ever since I started, I've had my eye on one special girl. I didn't initially ask her to the dance. I was too shy," he said smiling at Lilly. He quickly turned to Jake. "But. After she was made the victim of a practical joke, I asked her. And I feel guilty that she was subjected to that at all. So, Jake, you can find someone else for the team. I have the best teammate. Right. Here!" Ty finished as he dropped the mic and lifted Lilly into his arms. The gymnasium filled with an uproar of cheers. And, from Tyler's arms, Lilly looked out to see a smiling stranger at the door, wave and vanish around the corner.

         "I can't believe you!" Amy's screams pierced the cheers. "You told Lilly you'd go with her as a joke?! You... you... pig!" Amy took off her tiara and chased Jake, who was moments from crying himself, off the stage. After he had fled the school, Amy walked back in. "Lilly..." she began as she approached, "I'm really sorry for what Jake did to you. I had no idea..." Amy apologized. "You deserve queen." With a smile, she hugged Lilly. "And you gotta get me with your hairstylist." The two girls giggled as the remainder of the dance picked back up.

         As the gymnasium started to empty out around ten, Lilly was approached by several of her classmates, including Amy, telling her that they would see her Monday. As Lilly and Ty left the building, Ty asked her if she needed a ride home, completely forgetting that his ride had been chased out of the school by a furious cheerleader. Lilly giggled when he realized he's own predicament.

         "I live just a while away. I can walk," she smiled at him.

         "Not by yourself. The king shall accompany you, milady," Ty stated formally with a bow. She gave a curtsy and grabbed hold of his arm. And they walked arm in arm half way there. Then Ty stopped. "These shoes are just plain painful," he stated as he sat on the sidewalk and unlaced his shoes. He slipped them off and pulled off his socks. "Much better. Too bad my sneakers were in Jake's car," he said as he wiggled his toes.

         "For a guy not much taller than me, you have some pretty big feet," Lilly giggled as she sat beside him.

         "I never noticed," he said half sarcastically. "I've always had big feet. Ever since the 7th grade. Guess you could say I grew into them. And you know what they say about guys with big feet," he chuckled as he rolled up his pants legs.

         "Tyler!" Lilly squeaked in what she thought was going to be inappropriate comment on an already strange first date.

         "Big shoes. Big shoes!" he laughed to calm her while holding up his size twelve shoes. Lilly giggled. "It's not like you have any flaws though. You're perfect."

         Lilly shook her head and took off her crown. "I have a big scar on the back of my neck. I tripped and knocked over a lamp with a glass shade. It came down and cut me. The doctors said I was lucky that I wasn't paralyzed."

         Ty gave a sympathetic smile. "It's not a flaw. I think it shows you're one lucky girl. It makes you more beautiful in my eyes," he said quietly as he blushed.

         "And so do your big feet," Lilly giggled as Ty wiggled his toes. "I think they're cute. And you as a whole is far better than Jake ever will be," she finally admitted blushing. "Let's go. My parents are probably worried by now," she said as she stood back up. Ty picked up his socks and shoes in one hand and grabbed Lilly's with the other.

         By the time they reached Lilly's house it was almost eleven. "Thank you, Ty. For everything. You made my dream night a reality."

         "Just wait until prom next year, I'll..." Ty began as he jumped the gun. He blushed and looked away.

         "It sounds like a date. One of many I hope," she smiled. Right then Ty drew close and kissed her. Lilly closed her eyes to remember the moment. To remember her first kiss. With the new guy in school. Who was her dance king. Who had a tie that matched her dress and his eyes. Who genuinely liked her. Who had big feet for his height. She wanted to remember it all. Just as it was.

         Ty slowly pulled away. "I..."

         "I'll see you at school on Monday," she whispered. Ty simply nodded. She gave him a long hug and kiss on the cheek before opening the front door. After she was inside, she looked out the window to see the barefoot dance king in the green tie, turn to look back at her. He smiled. She waved. And their hearts seemed to beat as one.

         Lilly raced up stairs and told her cat, Wally, all that had happened. He just rolled over for a belly rub, which she promptly gave. After she had dressed for bed, she looked out her window. She knew he was going to be there. With the same, ever constant smile.

         She raced down the stairs and out the front door. She hoped he wouldn't be gone. And he was still there. She ran up to him and gave him a hug. "Please tell me this wasn't all a dream," she cried into his chest.

         "No. This was what we call in my business, 'A happy ending'," her fairy god brother stated as he hugged her back. "It's my job to make your fairy tales come true. And I hope you weren't hurt by anything I did to do so," he explained as held her at arms length, looking past her brown bangs into her brown eyes.

         "I wouldn't change anything that happened tonight," she said in tears of joy. "I promise, I'll never forget you." With that, she burst into tears. She looked at the man to see the same smile. He hugged her again and nudged her to go to bed. And as she walked to her front door, she was afraid to turn around and see no one there like before. But this time was different. When she turned around, he was still there.

         "Don't loose the innocence and magic in your heart, Lilly," he said, smiling as always. Lilly nodded, continued inside and to bed. Telling herself again and again as she drifted to sleep...

         "Don't loose the innocence and magic in my heart."

         Lilly slept most of that Sunday. When she awoke at three thirty in the afternoon, she raced down stairs to tell her parents of her magical night. They laughed and cried together. Finally, Lilly's mother decided they should go out to eat a big Sunday dinner as a celebratory meal. And her father agreed. After they all got ready, Lilly opened the front door to leave only to find Tyler with his hand inches away from knocking.

         "Ty?"

         "I know you said we'd see each other Monday, but..." he began with a bashful smile and his hands now in his pockets.

         "So this is Tyler," Lilly's mom began walking out of the house. "A pleasure to meet you, your highness." Lilly's mom giggled.

         "Yes, ma'am."

         "You aren't going to hurt a special flower like our dear Lilly, are you?" Lilly's dad barked from under his mustache.

         "No, sir. Never," Ty remarked as he saluted her father. Her father laughed wholeheartedly and patted Ty on the back.

         "In that case, come join us for dinner, Ty!" her dad chortled.

         "Thank you, sir," Ty said as he got into their car. From across the seat, Lilly looked to see his hand, and simply grabbed it. She knew her parents noticed, but they simply smiled at the thought of their young love. They arrived at a somewhat classy restaurant and sat at the table, talking and laughing.

         "Oh? A party with out me?" asked a voice from behind Lilly. "Girly, I heard you were the envy of the dance. Didn't Gaspar tell that would happen?" Lilly squealed and saw her hairstylist, and future employer, standing behind her. "And, you, must be the handsome king, no?" he asked. Ty nodded. "He's a cutie, better keep him close," he whispered to Lilly with a wink.

         As Lilly's parents talked to Gaspar and his assistant, Lilly looked to see Ty acting a little odd. "Are you okay, Ty?" she asked in concern.

         "Lilly... Since last night, I can't get you outta my mind. Lilly..." he began shyly, "Will you go out with me? Will you be my girlfriend?" Lilly stared into his green eyes.

         "You want me... to be your girlfriend?"

         "Yes. You and everything about you. Even the scar on your neck."

         After a short time of fake contemplation, Lilly smiled. "Okay. I'll be your girlfriend. Cause I want you... to be my boyfriend," she said. Then she giggled. "Even though you have big feet." Ty smiled back at her.

         Monday came around and Ty walked Lilly to school. In the halls, the hushed murmurs and ridicule had quieted down. And now, when she walked by Jake's third period geometry class, it wasn't him she'd look at, but rather Tyler. And everyday she'd give him a love note. And every note ended with, "Thank you, for keeping the innocence and magic in my heart. Love, your precious Lilly."

         And so began their lives, in each others. Lilly spent the summer with her new friends, including Amy, who had become one of her most trusted confidants. She started her new job as Gaspar's assistant. Ty had gotten a summer job as a waiter, in one of the restaurants near Gaspar's salon. And the two of them spent every moment they could together. And every once and while, Lilly would swear up and down that she saw her fairy god brother. Ty always raised his eyebrow and shook his head. But he thought it was cute.

         Soon summer was over and the weekend before their senior year, Ty asked Lilly on a special date. And it was exactly like she imagined. He spent a large portion of his summer earnings to rent a section of the restaurant, just for her. He even ordered the best dinner for two from the menu. And to top that all off, he had actually begged one of the concert band members to play romantic music for them on the violin as they ate and shared a simple slow dance. She loved every minute of it.

         And senior year wasn't bad either. Earlier during the year, Ty had quit the football team, and, ironically, joined the soccer team. He was also so well liked, that he was elected class president. And Lilly became a peer councilor and joined the school newspaper as an advice columnist. Her classmates had a new found respect for her.

         Jake still remained captain of the football team, but when prom rolled around, he was completely absent. Prom was just as magical for Lilly as her previous dance, and Ty lived up to his excitement from that fateful night. And yet again, Lilly and Ty reigned as prom queen and king.

         Amy, on the other hand, received tutoring from one of Lilly's peer council members, and, to the a school wide shock, had become class valedictorian. And on that day, the day of graduation, two speeches were made after diplomas were handed out. One from the surprising valedictorian, and the other from the class president.

         "Today is the day, we leave high school behind us," Amy began, "But that's all we're doing. Leaving this set place. We'll still have the friends we've made and the memories we hold. Both good and bad, I know we've all had experiences in our school that have changed us for life. And that's a good thing. That's what high school is for: not just education from books and lessons, but the education we need to thrive in society. We've made friends. We've learned how to act dignified around others. We've learned that for every action, there is, most definitely, an equal reaction. And I don't know what anyone's future holds, but I know for a fact, that we've all been prepared for whatever time can throw at us. So stand tall and proud, my fellow classmates. And may we all see each other succeed for tomorrow!" The graduating class applauded and the parent's cried in joy at Amy's heartfelt speech. Once it had quieted down, she spoke again. "And now, the class president wishes to make a speech," with that Ty stood up and approached the podium. He shook Amy's hand and gave her a hug before he gave his speech.

         "Hey, everyone. It's me, Tyler. Ty for short. And, though I never had the chance to go to elementary or middle school with you, I will always cherish the one and a half years of high school I did share with you. At my old school, everything was black and white. Jocks would stick with jocks. Preps would stay with preps. And nerds would shy away with nerds. But here, it's nothing like that. I was the new guy so I had no labels. I could be whoever I wanted. And... after meeting a special girl, I knew who I wanted to be. And since then, when she was regarded as a loser, blossomed and became a great friend to us all. And she, in turn,  broke this cycle of cliche cliques, and for once, everyone could be exactly who they want to be." He paused and smiled to Lilly. "And that's how our garden grew for the better. All thanks to our own, special, and my precious, Lilly." Lilly blushed as her classmates rooted and cheered for her to stand and take a bow. She was in shock that Ty had made up that speech on the spot. And she knew he did, for it was nothing like what she had heard him rehearse. She promptly stood up and gave a bow while holding her mortarboard.

         "Lilly, will you do us the honor?" Amy asked with a wink. Lilly looked around to see all the wonderful people she now called friends. She gripped her cap. And with a quick movement, sent it flying into the air, quickly signaling the rest of her class to do the same. And cheers immediately followed, echoing throughout the school grounds. And as everyone began to hug and laugh, Lilly looked to the bleachers. And there he sat. With the smile she had grown to expect. And just as sudden as he had appeared, he had vanished once again.

         Lilly went to college to study psychology, to become councilor, so she could help people, teens, who would go through what she did. Ty got a scholarship and studied to become a family physician. And lucky enough for them, Ty's scholarship was for a college just one hour away from Lilly's.

         After their college graduations, Ty took Lilly to scenic overlook he had found on his many drives to be with her. That night from atop the overlook, he pointed down the mountain. Then she saw the most beautiful thing she thought she would ever see. Ty had all his and Lilly's friends and family help him out. They stood along the mountain side, holding candles. And from Lilly's point of view it spelled out, "Lilly, will you marry me?" along with a four leaf clover at the end.

         Lilly looked at Ty to see him kneeling, just like when they first met. "Lilly. My precious Lilly. Will you... will you be my wife? Will you be with me, forever and always?" he asked as he pulled out a small box. Inside the box was one elegant gold ring, set with diamonds and emeralds. Lilly's eyes clouded with tears.

         "Of course I will," she whispered as he put the ring on her finger. He stood up and hugged her.

         Then he promptly jumped on the guardrail and shouted down the mountainside, "Whoo hoo! She said yes!" And following the shout of joy was loud cheering from their friends and family, almost as if the mountain side was shouting back, while they blew out their candles.

         Lilly spent the next six months of their engagement planning a wedding like no other. And Ty was just excited. They had an outdoor ceremony. And they had invited all their friends, from Amy, to Gaspar, to Ty's college roommate. Gaspar had even because reminiscent of his first meeting with Lilly, that he yet again allowed his talents to shine by making a unique hair style for Lilly from two others. And even his assistant Francine helped out by giving Ty a less shaggy look than he had become accustomed to.

         "Lilly. You look amazing," her maid of honor and now long time friend, Amy, stated as they prepared for that day's celebration.

         At the alter, Ty waited for the bride. He was both nervous and excited as Lilly's father walked her down the isle. He lifted her veil, and looked into her eyes. And she looked into his. And around their necks, were the matching accessories they had worn when they first wound up in each others lives:

         A silver necklace with four emeralds set in the shape of a four leaf clover.

         And a green tie, with a four leaf clover pattern, that was said to be lucky.

         They smiled at each other and looked to the priest. And the priest gave them both a very familiar, friendly smile. The bride and groom quickly turned to each other and exchanged equally shocked expressions. But when they looked back, it was if they both had seen a mirage, for he had disappeared like always, and the priest standing there before them, was most certainly not him.

         "We are gathered here today, to witness the holy matrimony of Tyler and Lilly," the priest began. And after the priest had said his piece, the couple exchanged their vows.

         "My precious Lilly, I vow to stand beside you, for better or worse, in sickness and health, for all our days. You've made me the better man you see before you today."

         "My dearest Tyler, I vow to stand beside you, forever and always. You've been the light that's help me blossom into the woman I am today. You've kept the innocence and magic in my heart."

         "And I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride." And just like their first kiss many years ago, the couple closed their eyes, for they wanted to remember every moment of that minute.

         At the reception, everyone laughed and talked about the loving couple. Half way through the reception, Gaspar and his assistant presented the newlyweds with their gift. Gaspar had planned a twelve day cruise to serve as their honey moon. Lilly was overjoyed by this generous gift, as she never had been out to sea before.

         Before leaving for their cruise, Ty made a couple of mysterious phone calls. Lilly paid no attention. She was just happy to get away with her husband. The cruise went by like a moment in a dream. And, at one point, Lilly looked to see a familiar smile on the face of a waiter. But he passed her table and went straight to the kitchen. Ty saw her disappointed frown and offered a dance. And was the same dance they had shared so long ago. After returning from their honeymoon, Ty told Lilly that he had a surprise for her.

         "Now no peeking," began her husband as he lead her out of the car blindfolded. She wondered where they were. The drive there seemed like it took hours. "Ready?"

         He took off her blindfold. Before her, stood a newly built house. One she had pictured in her fantasies. She ran to the front door and found a tattered piece of notebook paper taped to the door. It was an old love not she had given to him. On it was a description of the dream house she imagined. And signed at the bottom was "Thank you for keeping the innocence and magic in my heart. Love, your precious Lilly." She pulled off the note and her eyes began to cloud with tears. Then she noticed, that on the back, was a drawing of what her note did describe. And Ty's drawing looked exactly like the house she stood at. She quickly turned to her husband.

         "This is where the clover was when I purposed," Ty said as he pointed up the mountain side, to where he had asked Lilly to take his hand in marriage.

         "Ty. You always do the sweetest things for me. Well, now it's my turn," she spoke softly. "Close your eyes and give me your hand." Tyler obeyed. She grabbed hold of his hand and placed it to her stomach. Ty quickly opened his eyes and looked into his wife's. "You're gonna be a dad."

         Tyler's face went pale. For the first time, Lilly had seen, Ty began to weep tears of joy. They held each other for some time before Ty took out a key, and the couple walked into their home, for the first of many times.

         It was an autumn day when Lilly went to have their child. Their first child. And in the chaotic mess of the delivery room, Lilly tried to remain calm. She was just excited at the thought of holding her baby in loving arms. And Ty was just as excited. Lilly had made it a point to not learn whether it was a boy or a girl. She wanted it to be a surprise. Of course, Ty was happy as long as the baby was healthy. And during the whole thing, stood a doctor. With a friendly, inviting smile. Yet, for once, Lilly didn't notice him. She was just happy to be holding their son, Zachary, in her arms, while her loving husband held her close.

         It was only a couple years later when Lilly gave birth to their second child. A girl. Their daughter. And they named her Chloe. Lilly and Ty now had the happy family they desired. And it was exactly as Lilly expected.

         They spent each day living in joy. And time seemed to fly by. Zach had become captain of his high school basketball team. And Chloe was a prominent member of the matching band and eventually became drum major her senior year. And when it came time for their graduations, Lilly did her best to not cry. After Chloe's graduation, Lilly was approached by the new school principal. He gave her a warm, yet vaguely familiar smile.

         "You did a wonderful job raising your children," he told her. She simply smiled back.

         "Thank you."

         Now, with Chloe leaving for college, and Zach studying abroad, Lilly and Ty found their home oddly quite. But they didn't mind. Instead, they decided to some quality quiet time with the one they had married.

         Staring out into a sun set from their front porch Lilly whispered, "Thank you for keeping the innocence in my heart." The she followed with, "I love you, Tyler," as she kissed him.

         One day, Lilly decided to go for a walk around town. And on the path that connected her parents' house to the high school, a path she had walked many times before, came a smiling man, from around the corner.

         "Good morning, Lilly," he grinned like before. She turned to him.

         "I'm sorry, you look familiar, but... do I know you?" she asked. They stared into each others eyes. Then he tilted his head slightly.

         "I guess not. Pardon my mistake. Good day to you ma'am," he apologized. And he rounded the corner, from which he came, and Lilly kept walking paying no attention to the smiling man, who had not disappeared like he was prone to do so.

         After she had left his sight, he stood there, smiling. But something was wrong. Tears rolled down his cheeks. It was a mixed emotion. He was happy to see Lilly live her happy ending, but he also cried, for she had broken her word.

         She had forgotten to keep the magic in her heart, and, more importantly, she had forgotten him.
© Copyright 2012 Mr. Mirror (skizzi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863680-Modern-Fairy-Tales-The-Girl-and-the-Boy