*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863703-Schoolyard-Shooting-Range
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1863703
This is a satirical essay about the bill almost allowing guns on campus in Arizona.
There is undoubtedly something wrong with these “soft” liberals we have running our country. Does it not clearly state in the Constitution of the United States that we all have the right to bear arms? It is absurd that there is so much concern over the law that would give people the right to carry a concealed weapon around campus. I do not care whether I am in school or on an airplane, I want my gun! I can’t wait for the next Columbine; just thinking about it excites me. The reality of the matter is that guns should be banned from all college campuses because there are some places where these weapons do not belong. Call me crazy, but putting the people who are the future of this country that much closer to danger does not strike me as a golden idea.
Permitting people to carry guns around campus is like slipping chocolate into your dog’s food bowl: a horrible accident waiting to happen. But wait, as long as it is required for the person carrying the concealed weapon to have a permit for it, an accident would never occur, right? It is not like anyone who gets a gun is dying to use it at any chance they get, nor would they ever use it for the wrong reasons. An individual with a gun permit is too smart to mishandle a gun, right? Of course. It must be impossible to get a gun permit if you have intentions to use it to harm people. A person with a gun permit would never use a gun poorly because anyone who has one is obviously a level headed individual. If you can get a gun permit, you might as well become a psychiatrist because having that permit shows that you truly know how to analyze a situation and react correctly. Unfortunately, these are all flawed arguments. If a person is set on harming as many people as they possibly can and they decide that they are going to shoot up the school, nothing can stop them. It would take little to no planning to run through campus shooting anyone in your path. What makes it worse is that if you allow guns on campus, it is a perfect storm for some psychopath to run in guns a blazin’ at the first sign of any trouble. So, unless you think that accidental shootings are enjoyable, it is unreasonable to allow guns on campus.
At the moment, Arizona leaves the decision up to the University to decide whether or not carrying guns is permitted on their campus. Oddly, it is not legal to carry a gun here on Arizona State’s campus. These guys running a major university with the highest attendance rate in the country must be idiots. It is not like they were appointed to run the college because they were intelligent enough to be qualified or anything. You would think that if these highly intelligent people prohibit guns on campus they would have a good reason. To the contrary, we should leave it up to the individual to decide for themselves instead of the people who we know are wise because they were appointed to their positions for a reason. The plan is fool-proof. Ignore the wisdom of the deans and board members and give the Chuck Norrises at ASU their damn guns.
I do not deny that it is every American’s right to own a gun, but those old men that signed the Constitution did not have RPGs and heavy assault rifles in mind. In their day, a gun shot once, and could kill one person. Now, one gun can take many lives, and it does not make sense to put them in an environment of peace and learning. It only takes one gun in the wrong hands of one individual for a tragedy to occur, so how does it make sense for hundreds to carry one around on campus.
The learning environment might be hurt a tad bit if there are gun lockers in every hall and people roaming the campus with a weapon. I do not know about you, but I would find it quite hard to work with anybody, or even concentrate if I knew that somebody with the ability to end my life was sitting right next to me. Adding guns to schools would be like adding orange juice to cereal; the two simply do not mix. Instead of adding value to the main purpose of the university, which surprisingly enough is education, allowing guns on campus would only degrade it.
It is paramount that guns are continually prohibited on college campuses. Yeah, I know you feel like a badass when you reach down to your waist and feel that steel trigger and it is too bad that this is the only way you can feel a sense of security. Guns are dangerous, and they make the rest of us uneasy, reason enough for you to leave yours at home. Be honest with yourself, the chances that you will actually get to use it are slim to none. We did not install this university for you to play cop, so I will ask again: please do not ask to bring your gun to school. Leave your gun at home and oh I do not know, maybe focus on your education.
© Copyright 2012 kidkadi (dkadi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863703-Schoolyard-Shooting-Range