*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864005-Revelation-from-the-Concealed
Rated: E · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1864005
This is the first story that I have ever written. I hope that you enjoy it.
West Yorkshire Police
PO Box 9
Laburnum Road
WAKEFIELD
West Yorkshire
WF1 3QP

11 March 2016

Dear Minister Gillison,

Please find enclosed this initial letter, one Incident Report, one journal, and one summary letter.

As covered in the Incident Report, a farm hand (one Frank Johnston) called for an ambulance and police presence to Millholm farm, approximately one mile south-west of Bradford outskirts, on 5 March 2016.  Mr Johnston had arrived for work and called on the farm owner (one John Bolitho) before he started, to discover Mr Bolitho collapsed at his kitchen table.

Upon attending the scene, the paramedics were unable to revive Mr Bolitho.  In the meantime, two officers from my force came upon the enclosed journal sitting open on the kitchen table and, noticing a pen on the floor, deduced that Mr Bolitho had been writing in said journal when he collapsed.  Upon reading this, my officers bagged it up for evidence and bought it to their station when they left the scene.

So peculiar was this journal that it was bought to my attention.  Upon reading it, I decided to contact the coroner that would be conducting the autopsy of Mr Bolitho and asked him to rush that through.  The results were astonishing, to say the least.  Please read the enclosed items in the order listed above, and I shall conclude in the summary letter.

Yours faithfully,

Chief Constable Robert Peters
West Yorkshire Police

***


Journal Entry

As I sit here, I know that I have not much longer to go.  I feel myself weakening, slipping away towards my eternal reward.  My only comfort is in the knowledge that, as I pass, your barbaric race shall not be long for this world.

Your race, in the majority, does not know your true history.  You think that you are the first and only intelligent race that this world has spawned.  Know the truth, you are not from here!  This world has given rise to two intelligent races, the Zhan’shu and the Wampyr.  You are neither!

I suppose that a concise history of these races is now in order.  The Zhan’shu arose from their swamp-island many millions of years ago.  This reptilian race was cut off from the main landmasses where their much larger and fiercer cousins dwelled, affording them time to grow and develop as a race.  From fire, the wheel, and on through they moved, attaining bewildering technological heights.  All through the solar system they moved, constructing mammoth machines and settlements.

I shall have to use your names for the planets, for the sake of clarity.

Everything was theirs, except for Mars.  For on this world, another race was beginning to arise.  Small they were, hairy mammals beginning to show signs of true awareness and sentience.  Fractious and warlike, it was decided that no contact would be made until they had matured.  This planet was set off-limits, acknowledging that it was theirs by birthright.  On one of its small rocky moons a large monument was placed, greeting them in mathematical code and inviting them to the world of the Zhan’shu.

Catastrophe struck as the fifth planet exploded, pelting all the other worlds with massive chunks of itself.  The piliferous sentients of Mars had delved deep underground for a number of their installations, and those underground rode out the bombardment in relative safety.  Their atmosphere was blown off, but was intact under the surface.  The Zhan’shu survived aboard their mighty vessels and on an occasional moon, but the rest of their kind perished as a particularly large fragment impacted Earth.

Once the bombardments had mostly ceased, the Zhan’shu recolonised a number of moons.  They did however leave their own home alone, curious to see what would arise from the ashes.  Around this time, realising that this disaster had almost destroyed their race, they focused their attentions upon travelling to other stars.  As you humans say, they saw the folly of leaving all of their eggs in one basket and worked to rectify that.  Eventually, they broke through the barrier of light and a number of their vessels left this star to explore others.

In the meantime, another race had arisen on Earth.  The Wampyr were peaceful humanoids, nomadically wandering with their herds around the land-masses.  They had no great technologies past the wheel, content with their lifestyle.  They drew their sustenance from the cattle, feeding upon the blood from their veins but leaving them alive.  The Wampyr protected their animals from predators, and their animals gave up their blood for this protection, in a perfect symbiotic relationship.

The Zhan’shu studied this race, and were intrigued.  The main interesting point regarding the Wampyr was that, while they lived as individuals, they shared a group-mind.  What one had knowledge of, they all had knowledge of.  Peaceful contact was made, and an offer was extended.  The Wampyr agreed to become clients of the Zhan’shu, after a very persuasive campaign, in exchange for off-world travel.  The science and technological know-how of the reptilians was also transferred to their clients.  Once such was revealed to the Wampyr, it became part of their group-mind.  Books may rot, computer memories may corrupt, but the collective consciousness never forgets.

Further study showed that the Wampyr group consciousness resided in the magnetic field generated by the planet.  Much study was undertaken, but answers were elusive and research into the matter finally ended.

Contact and alliances were made by the Zhan’shu with other civilizations that they came into contact with, and other star systems were settled.  They took the Wampyr to the stars with them, it was glorious!  Of course, the majority stayed home, choosing to live as they always had.  To access the group-mind, there had to be Wampyr within its bounds.

Slowly, the Zhan’shu left the solar system, drawn by stories of amazing experiences and sights.  The Wampyr on Earth lived as they always had, nomads on the hills and plains, but were constantly aware of events as relayed to them by what they called the Starpyr, their kin that had left with the Zhan’shu.

Eons flowed past, and the Wampyr were content with their lot.  Living as their ancestors had always lived, but with access to astounding sights through their group-mind.  Sights and sounds of alien worlds, mighty space-battles, alien races, indeed everything that the Starpyr witnessed.
As time passed quietly on Earth, the hirsute inhabitants of Mars were not idle.  They extended their underground dwellings and continued to advance technologically, albeit very slowly.  It’s not known why, but after a long time the Martians turned their gaze in an outward direction.  Perhaps they grew tired of their claustrophobic conditions?  Or maybe they had a political upheaval?  We shall never know.

Realising that they could never again live on the surface of their world without access to science that was currently beyond them, they built observatories to learn what they could of the worlds beyond their own.  A space programme followed, and they reached both of their own moons.  On Phobos, they discovered the old Zhan’shu monument and were able to decode and understand it.  Come and visit us it said, and plans were set in motion.

Visit they did, descending near a large gathering of Wampyr in what is now India.  Due to the crushing gravity, they moved around in exo-skeleton frameworks.  After a few hours of attempts at communication, and much studying of the Wampyr I am sure, they departed and were never seen again, or so was thought.

Again, a long time passed.  Quietly for the Wampyr, frenetically for the Martians.

A group of humanoids, looking somewhat like the Wampyr, were discovered in Africa.  There was much astonishment among the Wampyr, who assumed that their home had produced another sentient race, as the newcomers displayed some higher understandings and technological techniques.  Generation after generation came and went, and with that time came understanding.  The humanoids became less and less intelligent with each generation, and their appearance changed gradually until they became somewhat like the Martians!

This occurred a number of times, with humanoids of slightly differing forms appearing unexpectedly, only to suffer the fate of the original group.  It is certain that the Martians were changing themselves genetically, and these groupings were no doubt the latest attempts at a stable change.  With the arrival of the Neanderthal, a marked improvement was noted.  These did not degenerate physically, but their mental faculties did reduce somewhat.

Then arrived homo sapiens…  With the success of this form shown to be effective over time, the Martians undertook a great effort and a few generations later millions of them descended onto our planet.  With mighty spaceships, you descended amongst a cloud of missiles and energy beams as you attempted to purge the Earth of the Wampyr.

Despite an extended campaign, while you did not manage to fully eradicate the Wampyr, you reduced their numbers by so many that they were forced into hiding for many years.  Your victory was almost complete.  The Zhan’shu, preoccupied with battling a massive invasion from an extra-galactic machine intelligence, were unable to come to the aid of the invaded.

Again, time passed.  Suffering a dark age due to warring amongst yourselves, knowledge of your high technology was lost, as was your history.  Petty low-technology nations emerged, constantly vying for supremacy amongst each other, and the Wampyr hid themselves amongst you.
All of your kind retained some knowledge of the Wampyr from your myths and legends.  Tales were told again and again of the ‘bloodthirsty vampire’, passing down the ages.  As if the Wampyr deserved such!  Yes, they fed off the blood of their animals, but never once from your kind.  You, who butcher their animals with such gusto, spoke in horror of those who lived alongside and took care of their animals.  Such stupendous arrogance!

In any case, you now have a rough guide to your own history.  Not that it shall avail you any.  The protracted war with the machines is almost won, and the Zhan’shu have now turned their attention back to the Earth.  They cannot long afford a separation from the Wampyr group-mind, and with my imminent demise they now rush a potent fleet to the Earth.  Before long, you shall lose contact with all of your satellites.  Two days after that, you shall lose a very short war.  Apologies, did I say war?  I did in fact mean slaughter.  Your kind shall be eradicated from this planet.  Afterwards, exploration of Mars shall be undertaken to ensure that the Earth and the newly-arrived Starpyr shall not suffer the hand that you dealt the Wampyr.

Why do I tell you this?  I want you to know fear, I want you to see your end but be unable to do anything to avoid it, and I want you all to die!  I, who have been forced to live a life that is not my own for all my years alongside the beasts that wantonly massacred my kind.  The fear that this journal generates shall affords me some peace of mind.

I am at the end, but it is a new beginning for the Wampyr!






***


West Yorkshire Police
PO Box 9
Laburnum Road
WAKEFIELD
West Yorkshire
WF1 3QP

11 March 2016

Dear Minister Gillison,

Thank you for your kind attention so far.

With the news reports concerning all of our satellites falling silent late yesterday evening, I thought that I had best rush this to the Department of Defense by courier first thing this morning.  I am not an alarmist, or easily taken by flights of fancy, but this event, coupled with the autopsy report has me somewhat worried.

While I have been unable to obtain the autopsy report for you, it clearly shows that Mr Bolitho was not human.  Having different organs in the body, and those two extra pointed teeth concealed behind his upper lip, suggests a certain truth to his journal entry.

I truly hope that this is some sort of hoax, but I cannot sit on it on the chance that it may not be one.

I shall leave you to consider this matter, and place my faith in your Department.

Yours faithfully,

Chief Constable Robert Peters
West Yorkshire Police
© Copyright 2012 AnarchoStar (anarcho at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864005-Revelation-from-the-Concealed