*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864310-Guardains-of-Muraycia-Chapter-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Action/Adventure · #1864310
Corriett and the guardians come face to face with Persephone who has captured a friend.
Chapter 5





Widows’ peak was in Rista, Lindle. The guardians loaded up a carriage and left with in an hour of receiving the note. It was a four hour ride to Rista and another hour to Kemp. All the way Mimi and Periwinkle, in an effort to cheer the silent stony ride made up games of which the group was completely not participant in any of. This distressed Periwinkle greatly, so much in fact Corriett felt awful not joining in, but she had other things on her mind. She was too worried to play games, and with good reason, after all she had barely gotten away from this woman before and that had been by blowing up half the forest! Corriett knew, yet it was lost among the deepest layers of her heart, that they could not possibly take her on but there they were fighting for the perfect decoy that Persephone had so wisely chosen. Corriett thought the other Guardians felt the same, whether or not they had admitted this to themselves as she herself had refused to do, she would never know.



The sun slowly lowered to its midnight position. Lower and lower it sank and true to her word Persephone was waiting when the six guardians arrived. Corriett’s insides were trembling to no end and it wasn’t until Genie pointed it out to her that she realized her hand was digging fiercely into the woven seats. She felt feverish colors screaming in her head and her legs buckled under her as she stepped out of the carriage. Every part of her was screaming ‘go back go back’ Corriett could not think; she could not move; all she could think was that she was going to die-not one of them would make it out alive. So why did she move forward if every instinct made her fight for a step?

The climb was steep. At one point Coriett’s mind caved and she screamed. At once she felt thoroughly embarrassed and resentful of the moment, however not one of the other five guardians held it against her. It appeared as though they all were feeling the same thing.

As they reached the top Mimi let loose a horrible squeal of ragging fury and shock for in Persephone’s blood soaked hands was the lifeless body of Cooper Sullivan. Periwinkle gasped and fell to her knees as did the rest of the guardians. Only Anna remained standing however her legs trembled dangerously and a look of absolute horror was etched into her haughty oval face as she stared up at the limp ragdoll figure of their fallen friend. Coopers eyes, once full of life, were sunken and empty. Persephone’s voice rang out load and clear through the heart breaking sorrow echoing among the cliff.

“Always be sure to specify whether or not bait is dead or alive,” there was no mercy, no remorse, in Persephone’s mocking voice. Anna chanted a single word which rose into the air carried on the evening wind.

“Murder” and with that she charged toward Persephone who bore a shadow of a grin pale radiant face.

“Anna” the remaining five shouted in unison but their words had no effect on Anna, who blinded by grief rolled forward heading toward almost certain death. Now Persephone did not bother to hide her merciless smile as her elbow came crashing down upon Anna’s head. Anna crumpled to the ground a pathetic sight.

“Well now that was fun.” Persephone pulled a dagger from her brown fur boot.

“Oritus” Corriett whispered and almost immediately Anna’s still body rose up into the crisp evening air flew backwards towards them

“We’ll take that” Mimi said surly.

“Mimi” growled Genie

“Mimi” whimpered Sinbad. Persephone’s face had changed from sarcastic to a complex expression as if caught between confusion and wrath. For a fraction of a second she stood there glaring daggers at Mimi, and then she rounded on Corriett.

“Sorceress” she spat. “You did it” Corriett was silent.

“Oh and I believe she is also in trouble for not dying when you told her to” mocked Mimi once again unable to resist.

“Mimi” warned Periwinkle.

“Okay” said Persephone simply “I’m going to kill all of you, you guys know that right” she began,

“We gathered that” teased Mimi

“And” said Persephone through gritted teeth “I’m going to start with you” she lunged at Mimi unable to control her bubbling fury. Quick as a cricket Mimi soared into the air.

“Nana nabooboo you can’t catch me.” Mimi zipped around the cliff gurgling happily like a brook. Persephone, writhing with white hot rage leapt from stone to stone in an effort to catch the flying devil. Corriett got the impression Mimi was enjoying herself tremendously. Suddenly Mimi let out a little howl as Persephone’s dagger cut through the air and sank deep into her blue green flesh. She came rocketing towards the ground. Periwinkle coved her face with her legs unable to watch.

“Oritus” Corriett whispered once more and at once Mimi stopped her dreadful plummet downward. She hung there suspended by invisible forces. Corriett spoke one word a breath on air but there was no mistake in what she had said.



“Run,” and so they did. Faster and faster they sped down the steep slope, with Persephone blazing hot on there heels. Corriett panted strange words as they fled but she had an aching feeling she would not finish. Persephone was gaining faster than Corriett would have thought possible. At last she echoed the last word and promptly disappeared right before Persephone’s dagger cut into her back. They were standing in Cooper’s office now gasping and choking for breath, their hearts beating furiously, the sweet sound of life drumming inside their chests. Corriett chocked back her tears as she lay there panting her bodice heaving up and down. Periwinkle did not bother to hide her distress. She moaned and cried her fresh hot tears streamed down her face creating dark violet streaks on her soft lilac fur. She was not alone, Sinbad wailed along with her. They made such a scene that soon the whole assembly was gathered in the office of the late Cooper Sullivan. The Queen covered her face in her hands and stifled a soft lonesome cry. Mimi and Anna were rushed to the castle infirmary. Genie, Periwinkle, Corriett, and Sinbad were all escorted to the cabin. Corriett shakily removed her boots with hands trembling so badly that she could barely unlace them. She slipped into bed though as tired as she was she could not sleep. A tear forced itself to the front of Corrietts eye, it trickled down her cheek and landed with a tiny splash on the bed spread. The sheets were warm and soft, but she was ice cold. She continued to replay the moment in her head all through the night’s bitter dreams.



Morning rose as hard blow to the soul. Corriett not welcome it, she longed that the night, though full of nightmares, would never end.



Mimi and Anna were not at breakfast when they sat down, so helped themselves to a golden platter of soft warm treacle biscuits and a dainty china teacup with a golden rim and flowery patterns painted on the base, filled with sassafras tea. Corriett had no appetite even for such delicate pastry baking. If she had not been so desperately starving she never would have had the stomach to eat them. The things she had seen serried her mind permanently burning into her head a damage far worse than anything Persephone could ever do. Periwinkle, on the other hand, seemed to be quite capable of going on a hunger strike. She just stared absently at the plate in front of her eyes filled with pain. Queen Anastova ate with them that morning. She too was solemn and silent.

Training did not happen that morning for they had no instructor, and so they were forced to retreat to the cabin.



The days crept slowly by while the castle struggled to find a new instructor. One gray and sullen morning after Mimi and Anna had returned. There was a new trainer in the office.

“Good morning class,” her voice was thick with reharsed enthusiasm. Not one of the six guardians bothered to answer. Corriett missed Cooper and the room was just a constant reminder that he was gone forever. She hung her head so no one could catch sight of the tears glazing her eyes. The new instructor sighed then forced a smile and tried again.

“I’m Mrs. Honeysuckle” she was blatantly overly perky and cheerful in an effort to get the class to be fond her. None the less she was not Cooper.

At last Periwinkle lifted her head and whispered “Hello I’m Periwinkle.” The smile on Mrs. Honeysuckle’s face suddenly became a lot less false.

“So who is up for an obstacle course?” She inquired brightly. Corriett’s head snapped up this was what Cooper had said on his first day. Perhaps this would not be as bad as she thought. Mrs. Honeysuckle was startled her words had seemed to have a great impact on her new class.

“So I’m guessing you like obstacles courses then.” No one answered. Finally Corriett was shocked to see Anna, Who had not flinched since the enthusiastic start of class, raise her head and said, “That’s what Cooper said on his first day.” The new instructor was thrilled to hear this news.

“Oh, good,” her smile was brighter than sunshine and lollipops on a dreary rain filled day. Corriett smiled and the tears in her eyes seemed to disappear, never to be seen again.



Midnight wiped her eyes on her sleeve and sniffled for once she envied Muraycians with no pain, suffering, illness, or sorrow for the last 17 eons. She stood up and then seemed to think otherwise she yelled, “Everyone is so mean here,” and threw herself back into the corner. “To bad it’s going to be taken over,” she stifled. Her head snapped up and then she whispered, “No I couldn’t… could I” she finished meekly. She gazed at Muraycia in her own crystal ball trying to make a painful decision.
© Copyright 2012 Caroline Morris (friscofairy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864310-Guardains-of-Muraycia-Chapter-5