*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864630-The-Sweet-Science
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1864630
ENG HON 102 Essay
Hiram Alfonso Rivera-Passapera



ENG HON 102



The Sweet Science

On the bare surface, the screaming crowd that watches two warriors battle each other in the ring witnesses entertainment and pure adrenaline in action. Closer inspection of the events in the ring reveals intricate strategies and adaptive minds being put to use. Delving deeper reveals an incredible source of inspiration and the human potential that passion can lead to. Boxing is more complex than most people believe. It is one of the most influential sports in existence not only because the stories that unfold within the square circle are on par with some of the most entertaining tales in history, but also because it can provide extremely useful advice that is applicable to many areas in life.

I still remember the first boxing match I ever saw. When I was six years old, Felix Trinidad took on Oscar De La Hoya in one of the most anticipated fights of the time. At that young age, I did not understand the sport as I do now. Back then, like many people who don’t care for boxing, I just thought the sport consisted of two people hitting each other until one of them fell down. Because of that, I found it hard to keep focused on the fight, and I eventually lost interest. That changed in 2007, when I watched Miguel Cotto defeat Shane Mosely. For some reason, something in my mind clicked, and I began to notice the intense level of strategy, precision, and endurance exhibited by both fighters. It was the first time I noticed that boxing is as much of a mental fight as it is a physical fight. Instantly, I became hooked to the sport, which allowed me to further explore and analyze it.

One of the main reasons people watch or participate in sports is entertainment. Incredibly, boxing provides entertainment in the form of a sport and a compelling story at the same time. The most evident similarity between boxing and any sort of story is how the characters are structured. In this regard, boxing takes the form of a complex story involving various types of heroes and villains. In stories, these characters are responsible for setting up the future conflicts. Because of this, a story might present the audience with various heroes, each with a different personality so that every reader can relate to one of the heroes on a personal level. Even those that are new to the sport can see that many boxers can be classified as unique heroes. Manny Pacquiao takes the role of the lovable and fair man of the people; “Canelo” Alvarez represents the inexperienced but courageous newcomer. My personal favorite, Miguel “El Boricua Bomber” Cotto is the disciplined and focused soldier that always keeps a clear head under pressure. And of course, who can forget Mohammed Ali, the legend that many of today’s heroes aspire to become? These are only a handful of boxers that I define as heroes. The beauty of the sport is that the fans decide for themselves who they want as their heroes, and who they want their heroes to conquer.

Of course, the villains that face off against the heroes are an essential part of what makes the sport so exciting. I often find that most of the “bad guys” in the world of boxing share many traits with some of the most memorable fictional villains in history. Seeing these boxers step out in front of a crowd is like watching the antagonist in a movie take the screen. There is something incredibly complex about such a character when he or she is written correctly. Somehow, a well-written villain acts in a way that makes the audience hate them and love them at the same time. In some strange and twisted way, the audience can understand why the villain is doing what he or she is doing. Even so, the audience should want nothing more than to see the villain fall to the power of a hero. Well-known boxers such as “Iron” Mike Tyson, Antonio Margarito, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. play this role perfectly. The perfect boxing villains make it known that they do not care if they are hated, and that they might even like being hated.

On December 4, 2011, when Miguel Cotto fought Antonio Margarito for the second time, I realized that stories of boxing could be as complex and interesting as any other celebrated story. Three years ago, in their first fight, Margarito handed my hero his first loss by way of a bloody technical knockout. However, it was discovered a few months later that Margarito might have cheated by using hardened hand wraps under his gloves, meaning that his fists were practically cement blocks. Instantly, his victory became soiled. Many fans, including myself, wanted to see Cotto avenge his wrongful loss. When the time came for their rematch, I remember anxiously waiting for the first bell to sound, signaling the beginning of Cotto’s revenge. I was at a family friend’s house with a handful of other people. Refreshments and snacks were being served, but I couldn’t have cared less about that. As the fight went on, I shouted encouragement and instructions to Cotto through the TV screen, forgetting that he couldn’t hear me. Cotto boxed beautifully by carefully targeting Margarito’s right eye. Margarito, clearly the larger of the two men, lurked around the ring and stalked Cotto’s light footsteps. I was overtaken by excitement and fear the entire fight, until Cotto won in the 10th round by a technical knockout. The feelings of joy, relief, and pride that I felt when Cotto won are still unrivaled by feelings evoked from any other story I’ve been exposed to. My hero had defeated his foe, and another of boxing’s greatest tales had come to a close.

Along with being entertaining, the stories of boxing offer audiences an invaluable source of inspiration. The actions of the brave fighters certainly speak for themselves, but they can also be interpreted and analyzed to find information that fits into everyday life. Actually, solving any problem can be very much like participating in a boxing match. From the first bell, one must be completely committed to understanding their opponent. Attacking head on is almost never the most efficient or effective method. A smart fighter must always think about offense, defense, evasion, footwork, their own endurance, short-term goals, long-term goals, and the condition of their foe. The corner team will always be there between rounds to mend wounds and offer encouraging advice, but they won’t fight for their boxer. The fighters that enter the ring must rely on themselves to use all the strength and tactics they have gained to win the fight. Each opponent represents a new challenge, and each challenge offers fighters a chance to learn more about themselves.

Few sports can tell a story the way boxing can. The epic battles between good and evil have the power to both excite and influence onlookers. I know from experience that just watching the sport can change a person’s lifestyle for the better. Boxing has taught me to seek victory through adaptive strategy, perseverance, patience, and passion. I am extremely grateful for what the sport has done for me, and I believe that it can have the same effect on anyone who gives the sport a chance.





© Copyright 2012 Alfonso (alfonso3135 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864630-The-Sweet-Science