*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865515-Eric-The-First-Horseman
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1865515
A young man saves a woman only to learn that she is the beginning of his end.
“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”-
Hamlet, by William Shakespeare



Intro

         There are worlds beyond the one man experiences on Earth. There are things in existence that would fill a man’s heart with an immense joy, never imagined possible. Then again, there are things that, upon seeing, would break the strongest mind and rupture the purest soul. Many people have seen these things and walk blindly among us with all prior memories of their old existences and experiences gone…until they die again. But few have ever walked among us with the knowledge of what the other worlds are like. These are the ones who will end it all.



Eric: The First Horseman


         “Fuck!” Eric shouted as the chain link dug into his back. He usually got under the fence without issue but then again, he usually wasn’t running from a police siren that had chased him for 6 blocks. He pushed through the pain and squeezed under the fence. At least I’m in the home stretch, he thought. He brought into a sprint as he maneuvered his way through the industrial park. Most of the buildings were condemned or abandoned and the street was pitch black but Eric knew the layout like the back of his hand. He had been living in the park for over a year and was used to the dark. He preferred it.
         The sirens faded before he even reached the archway to his building. Nice try, asshole. He leaned into the rusted door and entered the building. Like the street, the lobby was dark but Eric moved swiftly to the stairs. He ran up four flights and raced down a long hallway to the solitary door with a bio-hazard sign on it that Eric had placed on the off chance someone might come snooping around. Even hobos and thieves weren’t going to risk whatever crazy diseases might be back there.
         Panic clutched at his chest as he opened the door. Please still be there. He gently closed and locked the door. With the agility of a cat, he approached his bed which was placed by the large window of the loft. Eric had setup a pleasant home for himself. He had a functioning bathroom, an actual bed, a table and chairs. The only thing he needed was a kitchen but it had never bothered him since he never desired to cook and the building hadn’t seen electricity in half a decade.
         Eric paused before the bed and sighed. She was still there, exactly were he’d left her. She sat on the edge of the bed, her face to the window. He felt a tinge of guilt over her attire. All he was able to offer her was a tattered black slip that some chic had left behind. Even in a rag like that, he still thought she was beautiful. Her long black hair was swept over her shoulder. In the moonlight, her skin appeared flawless except for a faint scar that ran down both her shoulder blades.
         He ran his fingers through his hair and instinctively straightened his posture, the only positive thing he’d ever learned from his drug-addicted mother. For a moment, he forgot about the damp brown paper bag in his hand. It was for her and it was the reason the cops had chased him. Well, the bag and the broken nose he had given the delivery boy when he robbed him.
         “Ava? Ava, I got you some food. I, uh, just picked up a few different things ‘cause I wasn’t sure what you liked.” He approached the bed slowly and moved around to stand before her. Her piercing green eyes looked deep into his. He felt a chill run through him. Her eyes seemed to look right through him. The memory of the first time he saw those eyes came flooding back.
         He had found her naked, lying in an alley behind his building, covered in blood amongst the remnants of a disemboweled stray dog. The painful howls of the dog were what drew him outside. The site of her was an image he would never forget. Just get the fuck away, he thought. This crazy bitch has got to be on something to just slaughter a Doberman. He moved closer to look at her face.
         “Guess he got you before you finished him, huh?.”
         Her eyes snapped open at his words.
         “Oh, fuck!” Eric tried to jump back but he felt held by her eyes. They were a shade of green he’d never seen before, like emeralds in fire. A strange sensation passed through him. His fear and disgust were replaced by an overwhelming desire to hold her and protect her, something he’d never done for anyone in life. Look out for number one, that’s how you survive. It was the reason he had several high-profile bookies and drug dealers after him. Borrow enough money and they expect it back with interest, although at this point “interest” meant his life. Fuck ‘em, they won‘t ever find me. I am a mother-fucking ghost in this town.
         “Ah, ava-,” she choked.
         “What? ‘Ava’? Is that you’re name? What happened to you?”
         She lifted her head and reached out towards him. He moved to take her hand, but her eyes rolled back in her head and she collapsed. He carried her back to his loft where he bathed, clothed, and laid her on his bed. He spent the entire night watching her sleep. He was by her side when she awoke the next night.
         “Ava? It’s alright. You’re safe now,” he whispered as he reached to brush a strand of raven black hair from her face. Her eyes locked on his and he felt his heart rise. The moment his fingers brushed her skin, a sensation like cold fire shot up through his arm to his chest. It was intense but not painful. He hadn’t felt this when he carried and bathed her but now she was awake and looking at him. She scrambled off the bed and backed against the wall.
         “Ava? Is that your name? My name’s Eric. I found you outside and brought you here. You were naked and covered in blood. There was a dead dog. I thought maybe it or someone had attacked you. I promise I’m not going to hurt you.”
         A sudden calm fell over her.
         “I know,” she whispered. Her voice sent a chill down his spine, like hearing the wind call your name. He took a step around the bed towards her. She remained perfectly still. He moved closer still until he was right in front of her.
         “Maybe you should lie down.”
         He reached for her arm. She moved out of his grasp, circled him and sat on the bed. Her eyes never left him.
         “Are you okay? Were you attacked?”
         “Yes. Attacked,” she said as if she were trying to remember but couldn’t.
         “Ok. Maybe you should go to a doctor. I can take you to the hospital if you want, but I don‘t think I can stick around if the police show up.” Oh, great job! You’ve got a freaked out girl in your house and you’re telling her the cops are looking for you. God, I hope she doesn’t start screaming.
         “No. I’m fine.”
         “Okay. Um, are you hungry? I don’t have anything here but I’ll get you something.”
         She broke her gaze with his and looked out the window at the rising moon. “Yes, hungry.”
         Those two words had sent him out into the night to commit assault, robbery, and get a wicked scratch from a rusty fence, but he couldn’t care less. He approached Ava and placed the food containers on the crate next to the bed. She looked at soup and before she even reached out her hand, Eric opened the container and placed it in her hand. Once again, the brief moment of contact with her skin sent an electrified sensation through his body.
         “Thank you, Eric, “ she whispered. Eric stepped back, startled.
         “Did I tell you my name?”
         “No.” She sipped the soup and continued to stare out the window. Eric was at a loss for words until anger and paranoia kicked in.
         “Did someone send you to find me? Was it Frankie cause I’ll kill you before I let you walk outta here and tell him where to find me!”
         “No, you won’t. And I don’t know any Frankie.”
         It was strange but that simple affirmation of innocence left him feeling at peace. He trusted her word.
         After she finished the soup, he sat down next to her on the bed. He wanted so badly to touch her again but there was a slight fear in that idea. What would happen? Fuck it. He reached out and took her hand. She let him. The intense sensation of cold fire mixed with pleasure rolled up his arm to his heart. He gasped and then whispered,
         “What happened to you?” Her eyes turned on his.
         “It’s a long story and you won’t believe it.”
         “Try me.”
         “How about I show you?”
         She reached up with her free hand and brushed his temple. It felt amazing until a new pain erupted in his head as she dug her nails into his flesh. Before Eric could pull away, his mind filled with horrific images. He was seeing Hell. It was like a Steampunk city on acid. He saw Ava there, who she was and why she was on Earth. Waves of terror rushed through him.
         “No,” was all he could whisper as tears streamed down his cheeks. No mortal should ever see these things. With a shout, he pulled back from her. The images ceased and all he felt was the blood as it trickled down his cheek.
         “You’re, you’re a…,” he stuttered, as a sickening wave of terror and wonder washed over him. “You’re not human!”
         “I never said I was, but I know you, Eric. I can see inside your mind, your life. I know all the evil that you’ve ever done. I know you will help me get home. If I didn‘t believe that, I would have killed you the night you found me.”
         “What makes you think I can or even will help you?”
         “You are something rare that I need. You’re a new soul, never before been on this Earth, never had the chance to go to Heaven or Hell. You only know this,” she gestured out the window.
         “Why would I help you?”
         “You value your life. ‘Look out for Number One.’ Besides, you already did once. You attacked and stole for me. And you want me.”
         As the sentenced rolled out of her mouth, Eric realized that he did want her. He wanted to touch her skin, to rip off her clothes, to kiss her, hold her, fuck her. He rushed towards her and pushed her onto the bed. She didn’t fight him even when he pinned her down and pressed his knees between her legs. He had every intention of taking her when she reached up and brushed his cheek.
         “Wait,” she cooed.
         It was like a psychic slap. What am I doing? I barely know this girl or whatever she is. I‘ve never had to force a girl. Then he realized something- it was her. She brought up sex and suddenly he couldn’t stop himself. She brought up food and he ran to get it for her, risking his own skin, literally, in the process. He looked down at her.
         “You’re doing this to me?”
         She smiled and shook her head.
         “No. You’re doing it. You have a natural urge and desire to help me. Didn’t you feel it when you looked at me the first time or felt it when you touched me?”
         “So what, I’m just gonna follow whatever comes outta your mouth like I’m your fucking slave or something?” He could feel the anger from before rising up.
         “No, you’re meant to be my partner, one of four. You’ll be the first and the leader of the others.”
         “Partner? For what, to help get you back to Hell and take on the one who sent you here? Lady, how the fuck am I suppose to do that? Die or become something evil, like you? What if I say no and throw your ass outta here?”
         “I can’t force you. Free will is a luxury all men have. But do you want to?”
         Eric sat up and pulled Ava with him. She wrapped her legs around his waist and leaned back on the bed. He looked into the burning green of her eyes.
         ‘Partner‘? ‘Leader‘? This bitch clearly has no clue about what I‘m good for-not a fucking thing. What is she really asking of me? What will happen to me and my life or, fuck, even a soul that I thought was lost years ago? I’m not exactly living the dream here but she is a one-way ticket to a Hell that exists.
         That’s the cost, but what would be the reward? If I help her succeed, the possibilities and limits of power could be endless. Power. What an appealing thought. No more looking over my shoulder for a bullet with my name on it. No more living like a fucking hermit. I could have anything.

         “Ava, I don’t know exactly who or what you are. I’ll admit to being damn near terrified of you. But I can’t keep living like this. You seem certain that I can help you and yes, I want to. It’s a need. I feel it. I hate my life and most of the people in it,” he sighed and stared out the window. “Fuck this noise! I‘m in. What do I need to do?”
         “Close your eyes,” she whispered with a smile.
         He returned the smile and closed his eyes as she reached up and gently clasped her hands on his neck. His eyes snapped open when her lips met his. He hadn’t expected a kiss. He relaxed into it and felt the warmth of her mouth on his. Then he tasted the blood. She had bitten herself. She pulled back from him as he licked his lips.
         “You’re bleeding,” he noted and reached up to wipe the blood away. Ava trailed her tongue over her lip in response and the wound was gone.
         “Um, that was nice.” Smooth move, Dumb-ass. Might as well have told her some lame line.
         “So what do we do n-?”
         The words cut off in his throat. He felt invisible hands closing off his air. His heart pounded and his vision turned red. Emotions raced through his mind accompanied by terrible images- anger, fear, lust, war, famine, arousal, greed. His skin felt like it was being ripped from his muscles and pressed back into place. He tore at his shirt and ripped it from body.
         “What is happ-?” was all Eric could say before a new sensation took hold. His vision cleared and all pain ceased. He felt strong and clear-headed as if seeing the world for the first time. His gaze settled on Ava. He felt an amazing lust towards her like before but she hadn’t said a word this time. An animalistic rage surged through him. With a growl, he pounced her. Ava gasped in surprise as he pinned her. With one fast motion, he shredded the dress, exposing her naked flesh. Ava reached for his shoulder but he knocked her hand away and leaned down to her ear.
         “I’m yours now?” he gently growled.
         “Yes,” she whispered.
         “Then you’re mine.”
         He sunk his teeth into her neck. Ava gasped and bucked her hips towards him. He released her throat and kissed the small cut he’d made. Ava ran her nails down his back. Thin trails of blood rose to surface. Her bloody fingers nimbly unfastened Eric’s jeans and he kicked them off violently. Naked, he hovered over her. She stared back and open her mouth as if to say something. Before a sound escaped her throat, he entered her. Whatever words she planned to speak became a gasp. He leaned his body into her as he thrust. She felt so warm and tight. A thought occurred to him. He had found her when she arrived on Earth. She had a new human body that tore it’s way out of that stray dog.
         “You’re a virgin aren’t you?” he whispered.
         “Yes,” she gasped.
         “Am I hurting you?”
         “Yes.” She wrapped her legs around his waist
         “Good.” Her pain fueled his movements. He thrust hard and Ava screamed but dug her nails into his shoulders and pulled him closer to her. She was enjoying the pain. He kissed her hard on the mouth and tasted her blood again. Another sensation of strength and power rolled through him. He felt like he could take on the world. He felt no weakness nor fatigued, only a desire for her.
         He was with her for hours, until the sun rose. He blinked at the light, panting. With a final thrust he rolled over next to Ava and put his arms around her, as if to shield her from the light. He raised his head and looked around at the room. Their clothes were a pile of tattered shreds. The sheets were slashed and stained by their blood. Eric wondered what kind of horror victim he must have looked like.
         Ava’s breathing evened and he realized she was sleeping. Slowly he got up from the bed and tiptoed towards the bathroom to inspect the damage. His face was a little red but otherwise unmarked. He had faint bruises and teeth marks on his throat and chest but they appeared almost healed. Before he could ponder how that was possible, a slight burning sensation raced down his back. He remembered Ava’s clawing and almost dreaded to look.
         Eric’s shout woke Ava and brought her swiftly to his side.
         “What is this?!” he cried.
         Eric was standing with his back to the mirror. Like the marks on his chest, the scratches were nearly healed, but that wasn’t what he was looking at. In the center of his back between his shoulder blades was a pale mark ringed in black. It almost resembled a theta symbol from the Greek alphabet. The edges of the circle were jagged and radiated towards the center. The outer edges pushed outward at four points.
         “Ava?”, he looked into her fire-engulfed emerald eyes for an answer. She kissed his cheek and smirked.
         “I told you- you are mine now, Death.”
© Copyright 2012 Soumiah Fattouh (sammie2461 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865515-Eric-The-First-Horseman