*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865664-Nerds
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1865664
Explanations and truths.
What comes to mind for you when people say the word 'nerd'? A be-speckled super genius with mended glasses and an unattractive laugh? Braces, a "swat-knot" tie and weedy frames? Well, here's what comes to mind when I hear the word. A petty insult used out of jealousy by people with less intelligence or less sense than the person they are describing.

I want to eliminate the cruel and meaningless stereotypes that have spawned from bullies or jealous individuals that attack anyone with glasses or moderately better grades than others. Of course, this is only a word, right? How could anyone possilbly make such a fuss over something as tiny and insignificant as one word? Wrong. This word is not just a word, it's a curse. A stigma of bad reputation, and ironically it should be the tormentors who use this word who should be punished with it. "Nerds" are, more often than not, very bright individuals and should have earned their reputions. Granted this word is not always used maliciously but in the majority of cases - it is.

Besides, remember Emma Watson? (Hermione in the Harry Potter films) She has a VERY good intellectual physique. She is currently studying in a highly acclaimed University AND she is a big UK fashion icon. No one I know thinks of her as a nerd. So is it just appearance that cause this response in others? Probably. But isn't that even a little cruel? Of course that's the point of an insult or vicious rumor or anything that thrives on the malicious, horrible side of human nature. But it is definately worth thinking about the next time you are about to insult some one who you could end up working for in the near future. Just saying. Think about it - it may be a wise decision - with no regrets. Mending society - one step at a time.
© Copyright 2012 Silverwolf772 (silverwolf772 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865664-Nerds