*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865963-Burst-of-Imagination-Contest-Entry
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest · #1865963
Just a short story for the May Prompt of the Burst of Imagination Contest
It took nearly everyone in the village to perform the task at hand. Every man, woman and child assisted as best they could. From the smallest children, who could only simply hand things to the older kids, to the elderly who carried water and food around to those who had been laboring for days now, everyone in the village had pitched in to help. Everyone except Randolph.

Randolph had refused to be a part of this from the beginning. He tried to warn the other villagers, but no, would they listen to him? He was just a know-it-all. A young fool they said. A man with a black heart who didn’t think about others. A selfish person who didn’t care about others pain.

Randolph had been sitting on the hillside overlooking the village and watching his fellow townsfolk for the past seventy-two hours. He watched as the older children, being taught by some of the fishermen, entwined the small fishing strings together to make lengths of stronger ropes. He watched as the elder ladies cooked down animal fat to use in aiding the final connection of the large rubber tubing the men had made from melting down the tires of their trucks and forming it around steel pipes to make a big enough and strong enough tubing. He watched as the carpenters of the village constructed a tower that held a large basin that was sewn together from the canvas sails of their fishing ships. As he watched he just smiled. For they thought they knew what they were doing.

Well now they knew. Now they knew he wasn’t a fool. For once their goal had been accomplished it was too late and it happened too fast. They had no time to think about just how big of a mistake they had made.

Randolph sat high on the hillside gazing down at his small village. He had sat here for three days now, just watching and waiting. He was smiling when they first began their task, but he was laughing now as he watched them all scramble to get out of the way. He laughed for he had warned them. Warned them all. But no one would listen to Randolph.

“I bet you wished you’d have listened to me now!” he screamed down the hillside.

Randolph turned to look at his faithful companion Blossom, the only one who believed in him. Dogs truly are smarter than man he thought as he scratched her behind her ear.

“I told them girl,” Randolph snickered at the collie. “I told them all giving King Kong an enema was a foolish idea."






© Copyright 2012 MelvinMhk (mhkmelvin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865963-Burst-of-Imagination-Contest-Entry