*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1869432-Sirius-Rises
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1869432
The battle begins as Sirius rises in the night sky
It would be a fight to the finish. Under the favor of our war god, Canis, we would prevail.

Groups of us spread through the trees, surrounding the enemy encampment. We were well trained, despite our appearance. Not a coward among us - those had fallen months ago. We were the best and determined to end this tonight.

We waited until nightfall. Darkness was our friend, but not so to our enemy. They huddled together at night, fearful of what lurked beyond their campfire’s glow. They were right to be afraid.

Our attack signal required no sound. At the rise of the star Sirius, we would attack. By the time they understood, it would be too late. Their human eyes would be blinded by the darkness and we would take – and retain – the upper hand.

Sirius rose. A chorus of war howls rose, until the night was permeated with the eerie sound that comes from us alone, chilling the soul of our enemies.

Seeing the chaos in their camp, our leader raised his head and gave his special cry. We moved swiftly, a low rumble issuing from each of us. Their shouts and screams were not enough to stay us. The melee lasted only a short time. When the bloodbath was over, howls of victory filled the night.

We were not unscathed. Several were lost and others injured. I myself had felt the tip of their blades. Our dead were dragged to the woods, leaving no sign of our losses.  Theirs were left where they lay. As a sign to others.

We moved to the lake, freeing ourselves of blood and dirt. Clean again, we melted into the night, each pack following its leader. Back to our dens, where mates waited. Home. Free.

296
© Copyright 2012 CactusWren (vsigler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1869432-Sirius-Rises