*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1870458-HIVAIDS
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by irene
Rated: · Essay · Adult · #1870458
Its on the HIV/Aids epidemic which has endangered many lives in the world
HIV People who inherit only one copy of a mutated gene that has an effect on HIV's ability to enter CD4 T-helper cells appear to be substantially less likely to become infected with the virus, according to a new report by researchers at New York University School of Medicine in New York City and collaborators at other institutions. Such a protective effect, if proven, falls far short of completely safeguarding individuals who carry a single copy of the gene mutation from the risk of HIV infection.
HIV - HIV Like the majority of the American population I have lived in a cloud of ignorance about the HIV and AIDS crisis. I have never know anyone close to me that has been infected with either of the two viruses. So when the option to research something to do with sexuality arouse I felt this would definitely further my education about a lethal killer that is roaming this earth. Since I knew next to nothing about this topic I will start from the begging of the disease and discuss where it's at now....
HIV - HIV Many eyebrows raised late in 1979, when the then unknown HIV virus raised its ugly head. The first two cases of the rare cancer, Kaposi Sarcoma was diagnosed in two homosexual men in N>Y>C. About the same time in Los Angele's, several cases of the rare infection, Pneumocytis cariini pneumonia were being treated. Incidences of these strange diseases and infections were sky-rocketing around the country. The disease was effecting mostly young gay men in their 30's. There was no official name for the syndrome, but it was referred to by various names, GRID (gay related immune disease), Gay Cancer, and, "Community Acquired Syndrome

HIV/ AIDS - HIV/ AIDS HIV/AIDS is an epidemic that effects both men and women of all ages. It has an impact on many people's lives either by themselves being infected, knowing someone who is infected, or being a health care worker. HIV is a virus that attacks the body's immune system. It also effects the blood cells (lymphocytes) and cells of the organs (bone marrow, spleen, liver, and lymph glands). It effects the lungs, central nervous system and gastrointestinal system. People begin with having the HIV virus
HIV and AIDS - HIV and AIDS The AIDS and HIV virus is a very dangerous disease that sees no race, no color, no gender, no economic background and not even a specific age group. It can affect anyone, at any time if they put themselves in a situation where they could be at risk. AIDS stands for what is called acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. The virus causes the body's immune system to break down and become useless in fighting illness and bacteria. Even a common cold could lead to the death of a person affected with the AIDS virus.
HIV/AIDS - HIV/AIDS No one can be certain about how or when the AIDS virus emerged. The closest related disease would be a simian immunodeficiency virus. This is where the suggestion arose that this disease was first contracted from a primate. It has also been thought that this once primate-only disease had evolved and somehow became transmitted to people. On June 5, 1981, the first report of AIDS hit the United States. The people weren't quite sure of what they were dealing with, so mistakenly, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention released an article concerning a strange outbreak of pneumonia within the male homosexual community.
HIV and AIDS - The Effects of HIV Mutations on the Immune System is deadly. HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. HIV is classified as a RNA Retrovirus. A retrovirus uses RNA templates to produce DNA. For example, within the core of HIV is a double molecule of ribonucleic acid, RNA. When the virus invades a cell, this genetic material is replicated in the form of DNA. But, in order to do so, HIV must first be able to produce a particular Enzyme that can construct a DNA molecule using an RNA template. This enzyme, Called RNA-directed DNA polymerase, is also referred to as reverse Transcriptase because it reverses the normal cellular process of Transcription

HIV Therapy - HIV Therapy When the FDA approved the Pill for marketing in 1960, it changed America forever. The pill was released without adequate testing. Within two years, 1.2 Americans were using it and by 1973 that number had risen to 10 million. In 1969 the book "The Doctors Case against the Pill" by Barbara Seaman showed people the dangers. By the end of the 70's, the FDA required physicians and pharmacists to hand out sheets on possible negative effect and complications (Kalb 20-36). The pills contain two hormones, estrogen and progesterone.
AIDS/HIV - In 1981, the first cases of severe immune system deterioration were recognized developed unusual infections. The new disease was later named "AIDS". At that time, no one knew what was causing the disease. Since then, science has shown that the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is the cause of AIDS. As HIV infection progresses, it weakens a person's ability to fight off diseases. By attacking the immune system, the virus leaves people more susceptible to other diseases. When a person with HIV contracts one of several additional diseases, or when a person's immune system shows serious deterioration, that person is classified as having AIDS


HIV and AIDS - HIV/AIDS INTRODUCTION At the beginning of the 20th Century it was believed by many, including the United States Patent Office, that there was nothing else to invent. Now, 100 years later at the beginning of the new millennium the ancient Egyptian philosopher is more relevant, "there is nothing new under the Sun". While HIV/AIDS may be a new disease, there is nothing new about a novel epidemic, which can potentially or actually decimate a population. In the late middle ages, the Black, now known as the Bubonic Plague, swept through Europe killing virtually half the population.
HIV/AIDS - With reference to one animal or human disease, explain why its economic consequences can vary spatially. Introduction There are many diseases, which produce economic consequences and which can vary in their effect depending on location. Some are Tuberculosis (TB), Malaria, Ebola Virus and Aids. Throughout this report I am going to focus on the Aids virus. HIV is the Human immunodeficiency virus, and Aids is the Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, which it causes. HIV is a slow retrovirus, which means that not only does it take months to show any symptoms and years to develop fully.
HIV Speech - HIV Speech It kills over 300,000 people a year. It can affect anyone regardless of your race, sex, or age. It cannot be seen, treated, readily detected or destroyed. It is capable of destroying millions of people without wars or violence. This thing is AIDS caused by the virus HIV-1. What would you do if you found out tomorrow you had AIDS. How would you react if a family member contracted the disease and was diagnosed with one to three years left to live. The HIV virus that causes AIDS began to affect the nation many years ago and was first discovered and documented by the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia in 1979.
HIV Spread - Life-Threatening Interactions between Hiv-1 Protease Inhibitors and MDMA and -Hydroxybutrate (GHB) Introduction Purpose The goal of this assignment, is to read the health journal and with an unbiased appraisal, decide whether the information is conclusive enough based on solely the information given to possibly change one's health practices. Why Topic Selected In today’s college society, with the ever-growing number of sexually active students, HIV is quickly spreading.
HIV in South Africa - A country once in denial now has it’s South African political leaders addressing the disease that is slowing killing their population The Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) which evolves into acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is affecting South Africa socially as well as economically. This disease is also leaving over a million and a half children orphaned. Most of these children are not only orphaned but living with the virus as well. Brief History of HIV/AIDS and Government Involvement in South Africa The Centers for disease control (CDC) has declared AIDS a global pandemic.
HIV/AIDS in the U.S.A. - HIV/AIDS in the U.S.A. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), virus of the retrovirus family, the agent that causes Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). A person infected with HIV gradually loses immune function and becomes vulnerable to numerous infractions that can lead to AIDS. The virus was discovered in association with AIDS by three separate teams of researchers: first in 1983 by Luc Montagnier and scientists at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, and then in 1984 by Robert Gallo and his colleagues at the National Cancer Institute, on the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and by Jay Levy and his colleagues at the University of California at San Francisco
HIV Prevention in Africa - HIV prevention in Africa A continuing rise in the number of HIV infected people is not inevitable. There is growing evidence that prevention efforts can be effective, and this includes initiatives in some of the most heavily affected countries. One new study in Zambia has shown success in prevention efforts. The study reported that urban men and women are less sexually active, that fewer had multiple partners and that condoms were used more consistently. This is in line with findings that HIV prevalence has declined significantly among 15-29 year-old urban women (down to 24.1% in 1999 from 28.3% in 1996).
The Stigma Attached to HIV and AIDS - Stigma and seroconversion are a few familiar words that come to mind when dealing with HIV/AIDS. These are a few processes that people go through when they are indentified as being HIV positive. This is when their life on whole comes into contrast. This is so because people often take things like sex for granted and it is because of this some can’t live a healthy lifestyle. Just imagine finding out that you are positive. How will society accept you. What about the stigmatization that one goes through.
HIV/AIDS Awareness - HIV/AIDS Awareness How would you feel if you saw a four-year-old girl have to watch her mother die a slow painful death from AIDS. Well this is what millions of children face everyday living in Africa. Do you ever stop and think about how lucky you are to live a happy and healthy life or do you just take it for granted. An estimated 25 million adults and children are living with HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa, and AIDS has orphaned an estimated twelve million children. HIV/AIDS is one of the biggest challenges the world faces today.
HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. However, being HIV-positive, or having HIV disease, is not the same as having AIDS. When a person is infected with HIV the immune system tries to fight off the virus and does make some antibodies, but these antibodies are not able to defeat HIV. Some people do not feel ill at all when they are first infected. They may have no symptoms for a long time. However, some symptoms of HIV infection may include: “extreme tiredness, sometimes combined with headache, dizziness or lightheartedness; swollen glands in the neck, armpits or groin; continued fever or night sweats; weight loss of more than 10 pounds which is not due to dieting or increased physical activity; purple or discolored growths on the skin or the mucous membranes (inside the mouth, anus or nasal passages); heavy, continual dry cough that is not from smoking or that has lasted too long to be cold or flu; continuing bouts of diarrhea; thrush, a thick whitish coating on the tongue or in the throat which may be accompanied by sore throat; unexplained bleeding from any body opening or form growths on the skin or mucous membranes; bruising more easily than usual; progressive shortness of breath; forgetfulness, confusion, disorientation and other signs of mental deterioration.
The HIV & AIDS Virus - Citations AIDS.org - news, treatment information, and other resources. www.aids.org/ HIV and AIDS Activities - information from the FDA Office of Special Health Issues. www.fda.gov/oashi/aids/hiv.html Specialized Information Services Home Page - US National Library ... - ... Library of Medicine (NLM) is responsible for information resources and services in toxicology, environmental health, chemistry, HIV/AIDS, and specialized ... www.sis.elm.nih.gov CDC-NCHSTP-Divisions of HIV/AIDS Prevention (D HAP) Home Page - .
Criminalizing The Spread of HIV/AIDS - ... This act is mostly in place in order to protect those with HIV and AIDS. Because they are not required or obligated to tell anyone their medical information, the fact that they have HIV can be kept secret, therefore not influencing people’s thought of the infected person. This is in relations to the Housing Discrimination issue. But under the Judicial and Administrative Proceedings of HIPAA, as well as under Law Enforcement Purposes, “Such information may also be disclosed in response to a subpoena or other lawful process if certain assurances regarding notice to the individual or a protective order are provided,” or if there is a victim involved (HHS.org, 2011).
HIV/AIDS Research - HIV/AIDS Research Every part of African society from teachers to soldiers is under attack from Aids with over 30% of the adult population infected in some countries, the United Nations says in a new report. 80% of the world's deaths from AIDS occur in Africa, which at current rate is estimated to be 34 million people to have been infected with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa, since the start of the pandemic and 11.4 million are estimated to have died. This epidemic is creating instability in an already fragile African economy.]
HIV/AIDS in Prisons and Jails - HIV/AIDS in Prisons and Jails missing works cited In addressing the prevention of the spread of the HIV virus in prisons, we have seen a rush to develop and implement prevention measures. Much attention has centered on such controversial issues as compulsory or voluntary blood testing, isolation versus integration of HIV infected inmates into the prison mainstreams, provision of condoms and disposable needles, and effective educational measures for specific groups within the prison. Unfortunately, this rush to develop and implement preventive measures has resulted in a degree of polarization which has hindered progress towards implementation of effective prevention measures

HIV and Aids in Sub Saharan Africa - HIV and Aids in Sub Saharan Africa Introduction Sub Saharan Africa has a very serious HIV / AIDS epidemic with millions of its people living with the disease. It has now become a human tragedy in many areas of the world, but most affected is sub Saharan Africa. It is no coincidence that the countries suffering most with HIV / AIDS are also the poorest. HIV / AIDS is now considered to be the single most important impediment to social progress to many countries in Africa .This report will analyses the current situation using up to date sources from articles, books and the World Wide Web.an Youth In 2001, Sub-Saharan Africa recorded the highest number of deaths from HIV/AIDS, with 29.4 million people living with AIDS; 10 million young people and 3 million children. Among these, 12.2 million were women and 10.1 million men. In 2002, 3.5 million new infections were reported. From this backdrop, Kenyans were interviewed on their perceptions of sex and condom use within heterosexual relationships revealing that denial and silence played a major role in the escalation of the pandemic while gender differences, culture and power were perceived as negatively impacting negotiation of sex and condom use within Kenyan communities.
The Cause and Effect of HIV in Africa - The Cause and Effect of HIV in Africa The ubiquitous acronym HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. It is a virus that gradually weakens the immune system until the body cannot fight off common infinitesimal infections such as pneumonia, diarrhea, the “flu”, and other illnesses. All of which can be part of the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, the final stage of HIV that usually develops between 2 to 10 years after the infection. This infection is frequently transmitted through unprotected intercourse with someone who has already been affected with HIV and is an increasing problem in Africa.
HIV and AIDS - We are Close to a Cure - HIV and AIDS - We are Close to a Cure AIDS is a major disease that has threatened the world's population but many scientists believe that a cure is in sight. These scientists say they have developed a vaccine that will cure a dying AIDS patient. They also believe that have created a vaccine that will prevent a person from contracting the virus. AIDS stands for Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. Acquired stands for that the disease is not hereditary but develops after birth from contact with a disease causing agent in this case, HIV.
© Copyright 2012 irene (irene20 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1870458-HIVAIDS