*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1871361-Mirror-of-Ages-Chapter-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fanfiction · #1871361
Callie has managed to fit into life in the palace but foes are watching her every move.
Chapter 6: Maid of Honor Warned of Troubles

         “Bark! Bark!” Queen Elizabeth’s dog, Henri, ran around the snow piled grass. It was currently spring in England. I was told February brought cold temperatures and snow. However, today, even for winter days, was one of those perfect days that made not going outside, hard to resist.  The sun was extra warm and its radiance made the snow on the plants and trees glitter. Everything looked like something out of a nature magazine. 

         “The weather is amazing today!” I told Grace.

         “I know! I love walking her majesty’s dog in the spring!” Grace answered.

         Today, I was accompanying Grace as she did her chore of walking Queen Elizabeth’s dog around the palace gardens. The castle gardens were quite lovely actually. Brightly colored flowers were everywhere and the wind made the leaves dance in the air. The whole scene was animated and amazing. In fact, I think I finally appreciate nature now.

         It has been a full week since I arrived in England. Since then, I learned many things. For starters, I am in the spring of 1569 in the reign of her majesty, Queen Elizabeth the First. 

Sir Robert hasn’t been back from his trip yet but I managed to learn some things about him from Grace and gossip sessions. Robert is the Ambassador of the English Colonies. He goes around all the colonies and checks up on them. Not only does he make sure the colonies are following the queen, but inspects domestic areas as well.

Another fact about my “cousin” is that he has many talents. He used to be a military commander before he became an ambassador; meaning he is a skilled swordsman and is highly skilled in tactics. For example, he could watch an opponent fight for a two minutes and know all his or her weaknesses and strengths; when he faced them, he can use the info he learned against them.

Apparently, my assumption about the ladies’ about Sir Robert were correct. Robert is the Medieval George Cooney. All the girls adored him for his talents, personable character, and last but not least, his looks. When Robert comes home from a trip, they plummeted him with questions and pleas for epic stories. Sure enough, he gives them stories that they would always remember. Even the queen herself sometimes sits in and listens to Robert’s tales of the outside world. According to Grace, he tells good tales.

         Not much happened during my one week stay in Queen Elizabeth’s castle other than becoming a Maid of Honor by saving the Queen’s life. A Maid of Honor are like the Homecoming Queen’s court. They wait on the queen and are always by her. In addition, they do what the queen tells them to do. Even though it may seem like being a servant, it’s actually an honor and brings up your social status.

How did I manage to save the Queen of England’s life? Well, I was at a big dinner with the Queen’s court. There was suppose to be a comedy group during the dinner. The comedy group was supposed to be hilarious but I didn’t find any of their jokes funny at all. After a while, I got bored and started to head back to my room to get some shut-eye.

         On my way out, I snook one last look at the crowd who were eating their dinner. The actors must have said something really funny because they were laughing their heads off.

My eyes rested on the Queen Elizabeth at the head seat. I shook my head in confusion. It might have been my eyes but she skin turned a different color than normal. It took me a second to realize that she was choking on her food. Not thinking, I rushed to the Queen’s side. Everyone in the dinner chamber were too engrossed into the presentation to see what was happening to their queen.

I started doing the Heimlich Maneuver on her. Elizabeth’s skin was turning a mix of blue and purple. I knew enough of First Aid to know that was absolutely not good.

Thump. Thump. My fist pushed up her corset hard with no good results. Whatever was choking her wasn’t coming out because of her stupid dress!

“The Queen!” someone shouted at last, pointing his pudgy finger at me and the queen. I quickly ducked behind the chair. The whole dining room grew silent as they all saw the Queen’s face. The moment went by in a blur because practically the whole room ran to the queen.

“Oh crap.” I had to hurry it up. They might try to stop me from trying to save her life! I pushed harder and faster.

Pop!  An object came flying out of the queen’s mouth. At that second, the crowd decided to surge forward and help the queen. As they moved to her chair, I sank into the background. Sir Robert had told me not to draw any attention. It was probably smart to take his advice. I saved her before they even got the chance to see me, or at least I hoped.

I went through the kitchen to get to my bedroom. All the chefs, servants, and waitresses were waiting at the kitchen doorway, discussing what just happened. They were too absorbed in their conversation to see me go through. I finally made it to my huge bedroom and flopped onto the soft bed.

“Callie. Callie. Callie, wake up.” a voice called to me. I opened my eyes to find Grace standing over me and shaking my shoulder.

“What is it? Is it already morning?” I sat up on the bed. The curtains were partly opened. The sunlight shined on my face, forcing me to squint at Grace. She was in her nightgown and her hair was slightly undone. 

“Yes and the queen want to see you in her chambers!”

To say the truth, I was nervous when I entered her room. Who wouldn’t be? Anyways, Queen Elizabeth thanked me for saving her life and invited me to sit down and have a talk with her. That day was Sunday so she couldn’t do anything else according to the Ten Commandments.

We spoke for hours on just about everything. We talked about life, fashion, education, and even horses. The conversation went well until she asked me questions about my home in Majorca. I didn’t want to lie to her since she had been so nice to me and seemed like a cool person. I finally ended up telling her about the people at my school but staying along the lines of the lie.

Elizabeth looked interested as I spoke about their actions, fashions, gossips etc. At the end, she said that she was glad that I wasn’t like the other girls who only care about looks and boys. I think I made a very good impression of myself because she appointed me as a Maid of Honor.

She then excused me because we both had to get ready for Sunday mass, which I wasn’t looking forward to. I haven’t been to church since Easter. As I turned to leave, I realized something.

“Queen Elizabeth?” I asked.

“Yes my dear?”

“How did you know it was me who saved your life?” Elizabeth smiled brightly and reached into her sleeve. She pulled out a tight green bracelet. “This is yours, I presume?” she said and tossed it to me.

All I could do is blink is shock as I stared at the bracelet, now in my hand. My lucky scrunchie! I always wore it for good luck. I must have brought it to school for the history presentation and totally forgot that I had it on.

“But how did you know it was mine?”

“You were wearing it when you first came here!”

“Oh. Thanks.” I walked out of the room. Tears began rolling down my eyes.

It was once Sharon’s. She had given it to me when we first met. There was a huge presentation going on that day and I forgot to get one from home. I couldn’t focus correctly without one in my hair. She saw me try to work something out in the bathroom and offered hers to me, wishing me luck.

When I tried to return the loan after owning the presentation, she said that I could keep it. “Think of it as a gift.” she told me. “A gift from a friend.” her loving smile made my body grow warm for the first time in my life. Someone actually called me a friend.

From that day on, Sharon and I became best buddies. She helped me and gave me courage. Now, I was stuck in a place that I don’t even know without her. Where was she? Was she even okay?

“This is my entire fault.” I wept in my room. “If only… If only I kept quiet to GiGi! Then maybe I wouldn’t be here!” I pounded the bed in frustration as my tears stained the red blanket. I immediately wished Robert was here.

“Stop crying.” said a faint voice. “Sharon is okay and so are you.” I looked around the room. No one but me was here. Who said that? My tears stopped coming. I didn’t feel sad, or guilty, or confused anymore. Instead, I fell asleep in my own tears.

I ended up sleeping for until the next morning. The following days, I was so busy moving my things and new cloths into the room I now share with Grace, and these two girls named Sarah and Mary, that I totally forgot about my feelings. Truthfully, I haven’t thought about that moment until now. Who said that and why? My imagination?

I snapped back into focus. The sky was growing pinkish-orange and the shadows were becoming larger. I searched around for Grace but she disappeared. “Grace?” I called out but it just echoed through the garden. Great! I lost her.

I walked around, seeing if I could find her. A few minutes later, I realized that I was all alone with the trees. I looked towards the sky. The stars were barely visible through the fading light.

“I should probably leave…” Then it hit me. It was probably dinnertime now! “Crap!” The Maids of Honor usually ate with the Queen but before that, we had to change into something nice. If I didn’t want to be late and get in trouble with the Queen, I had to move! Now!

I picked up my hunting skirt, or that’s what they call it, and sprinted to the doors. I was going so fast that I didn’t hear the guard greet me as I went through them!

The halls were extremely dark. The servant maids didn’t light the lanterns yet. I ran into tables and chairs a couple of times since it was so difficult to see. No one was in the halls or in their rooms. “I must be very…”

BAM! I landed on the floor with a “UFF!.” I had collided with something when I turned the corner.

“I am terribly sorry… Oh.”  Sir Nicholi was standing over me. He was holding a piece of paper in one hand and a mini lantern in the other. The light showed his blues eyes grow dark for a second. Why was he angry? Was he angry at me?

“I’m sorry.” I fearfully said. He returned to normal and stretched out his hand.

“No, do not be. It is dreadfully dark in the halls this evening and you are in a hurry. Are you not?” I grasped his hand and he pulled me to my feet. He was surprisingly strong. 

“Thank you.”

“You should be careful Lady Catherine. Especially in these parts. You could get in trouble. Nothing is what it seems.” Nicholi said this in a harsh tone.

“What do you mean?” I asked him but he wasn’t paying attention to me. Nicholi spun on his heel and walked past me. What did he mean by being careful? Did I have something to fear here?

Questions pestered me as I continued my journey back to my room. I couldn’t find the answers. What did Nicholi mean? The way he said it. It sounded like one of the sayings that mean more than what you think. What that it or was I thinking about it too much? No matter what the meaning might be, I had to go along with it. What choice did I have? The answer would come soon. Or at least I hoped. 

But deep down inside, I had a strange feeling. It was similar to what I had when I arrived here. Something told me that this whole situation was bigger than me. Bigger than I have ever encountered before. 

© Copyright 2012 Nikkilover (nikkilover101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1871361-Mirror-of-Ages-Chapter-6