*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873286-A-story-about-Zeb
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1873286
Mysterious happenings in a small Kansas town.
    Ok this is the story of a guy named Zeb. Zeb was not your ordinary man you see, in fact it was said he might not be a man at all!  As far as most of the local folks were concerned Zeb had been around as long as anyone could remember.  Even Harriet, who is celebrating her 101st birthday this month, says she can't remember a time when Zeb wasn't around. (And trust me Harriet may be old but she is still sharp as a tack!)

    Well anyway it was right after harvest when out south of town there was a huge commotion, Jimmie came running into town whopping and a hollering. He claimed he found a meteorite out in his field while he was plowing up the soil, said it must be twenty or thirty feet round if what's poking out is any indicator.

    Zeb and the boys from city hall were playing cards at Vic's grocery store when Jimmie came running in, immediately Zeb started looking all nervous and stuff, he excused himself and hurried out the door, forgetting to pay for his ginger beer. No one though much of it at first and everyone listened to Jimmie ramble on about how rich he was gonna be after he called some folks out to unearth his treasure.  He was sure that he had the biggest meteor ever!

    Nobody saw Zeb the rest of the day, and Jimmie was so excited about his find he went to the bar and got so drunk Lisa Lu ended up letting him crash on her couch in the back of the bar.  So no one saw the strange glow that was coming from Jimmies farm after the sun went down. The glow pulsed and changed colors for several hours.  Next day when the sun came up everything seemed normal.

Jimmie had got a hold of some meteorite specialist from the university to come out and evaluate the meteor. The university is about six hours away but they said he'd be there today to look at it.  So we all huddled around Jimmies farm waiting for the specialist. Some of the women from town brought out some food and beverages and the guys built up a big fire so half the town had come out to see what was happening. It was like an impromptu festival. Some local musicians gathered up their instruments and next thing you know everybody is dancing!

    Well, it actually took the university man almost eight hours to get there and by then the party was in full swing.  He said his name was Sherfy and started setting up equipment all around the spot where the meteor lay partially exposed. After what seemed like an eternity the university specialist looked up at Jimmie and said: "It's hollow I think"

    Jimmie wasn't sure what to make of that so he asked what they was to do next, and Sherfy said that we should grab some shovels and start to digging. Well we dug like half the night and we set up portable light so we could see. Finally about three in the morning someone found an edge. Suddenly the university man stopped everything and started packing his stuff up. Jimmie asked him what was going on and the university man said he was sorry but it's not a meteor after all just piece of domed over rock. Nothing special.



    Well we didn't see Jimmie around for a couple weeks after that but life in the town went back to normal pretty quick. Oh, and Zeb? Well, he still came by every Wednesday and Friday to play cards with the mayor and the city hall guys at Vic's.

    One day while the boys were playing cards I asked Zeb where he was during all the commotion over at Jimmies and he said he was getting his vehicle worked on over in Grover. At first I didn't think nothing of it until I realized Zeb don't have a car.

© Copyright 2012 jeffrydada (jeffrydada at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873286-A-story-about-Zeb