*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873861-Easy-Money
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1873861
There is no such thing as easy money...
Interviews always made Sarah feel like an animal at a county fair and this was by far the worst one she had ever had to go through. The old man sitting behind the table staring at her made her feel even more uncomfortable.

Sarah had been desperate to find work and had scanned the online want ads praying for a miracle. The advertisement had immediately caught her eye. Easy money! Since Jason had lost his job things had gone from bad to completely hopeless. The advertisement had been vague, but the information given was enough to make Susan uneasy. She sent off her application before she chickened out and later when she went back to read the advertisement again it was gone.

Susan had not told Jason about the job application and if she was lucky he would never know. There was no other way to get the family out of the mess they were in. if she didn’t do this they would be out on the street with two small children. Susan’s heart twisted in her chest as she thought of her son and daughter. She had to do this for them.

Susan clenched her fists, closed her eyes in a silent prayer and thought I have to do this. She had been asked back for a second time, the job was hers, if she wanted it.

The first interview had been a nightmare. Horrified disbelief had raced through her as she was told what the job involved. Only determination had kept her in her seat and the panic away.

“The tests are back and you are a perfect candidate,” Dr Behrens smiled at her and discreetly slipped a sheet of paper on the table in front of her.

“This is our offer, on condition that we get started as soon as possible.” He rubbed his hands together “If you agree, the procedure will take place tomorrow.” Susan’s heart sank; she had hoped to get it over with tonight. She was afraid that she would back out if she had too long to think about it. The amount on the sheet of paper made her gasp.

“When do I get the money?”

“I will transfer it to you just before we start with the procedure.” The old man slowly stood up and walked over to Susan. “I have had so many people let me down at the last moment.” He touched her shoulder gently with a cold hand.

“You know that this is your choice, don’t you?” The old man’s voice was gentle; Susan nodded looking down at her feet. “Dr Behrens will take you to your room, where I am sure that you will be very comfortable.”

A worried look flashed across Susan’s face and the old man gave a wheezing laugh. “Don’t worry my dear, we won’t lock you in, if you want to leave no one will stop you.” He took her hand and gently kissed it.

The Doctor motioned for Susan to follow him and as she reached the door the old man called out
“Why are you doing this?”

“My children,” Susan’s voice sounded hollow, the old man stared as she followed the Doctor into the passage.

The room reminded Susan of a hotel. The door to the passage stood open taunting her as she sat on the bed and thought of Jason and the children. She wondered if her family had noticed that she was gone and she wondered if anyone would mourn her loss. Again she prayed for the strength to see the job to the end.

Susan sat and watched the room become darker as night fell. The passage light shone into the dark of the bedroom calling her to follow the light to safety. As the night dragged on Susan began to panic, she leapt up and raced down the passage to the huge doors that led outside to freedom. The old man had kept his word, they were unlocked and Susan had to stop herself from running away into the fragrant moonlit night.

“It is time.” The Doctor had arrived at Susan’s door early the next morning. He handed her a hospital gown and waited outside while she slipped it on. Susan followed him to a room hidden at the back of the house, a cold, sterile operating theater.

The old man was waiting on a chair in the corner, a lap top on his lap. He beckoned Susan over to him and pointed to the screen. Sarah saw the money slide effortlessly into her bank account – easy money she thought. For a moment she thought of running as fast as she could, but she pushed that thought out of her head and went over to the operating table and lay down. The old man had kept his part of the deal.

“What will you tell my family?” the Doctor opened the hospital gown, his hand tracing the curve of her chest before covering her with cold green sheets.

“We will tell them that there was an accident, it was over quickly.” The old man said. Moving to the head of the bed and took her hand.
“Are you sure that you want to do this?” Susan nodded closing her eyes as the Doctor slid a needle into her arm. “It won’t hurt at all I promise, my dear, you will fall sleep and it will be over.” The Doctor waved him away.

The old man gently kissed Susan’s forehead.

“Thank you.” he whispered

In those last moments Susan thought of her children before vanishing into the darkness.

**********************************************************************************
Dr Behrens lifted the pulsing heart out of Susan’s chest and turned so the old man could see it.

“I never thought that you would find a donor, old friend.” Said the Doctor with a smile

The old man was not looking at the heart, his eyes rested on the lifeless body lying on the operating table.

“I was given a perfect heart,” the old man whispered.

Word Count 998
© Copyright 2012 Vicky bornman (vickyb77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873861-Easy-Money