*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873981-Wonder-on-the-beach
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1873981
A contest entry, I was fiddling around with.
The moon hung high over my shoulders as I strolled along the white sandy beaches, my bare feet squishing under the spray of the waves as they crashed against my ankles. I glanced back at the empty house behind me, a lone light lit the porch beckoning me but the call of the spray and the coolness in the air was too much of a temptation as I sank down to the sand.

As I sat staring off into the watery depths of the ocean, I felt something solid brush against my leg; glancing down I noticed the neck of a crusted bottle riding the tide as it brushed against my calf. Grabbing the bottle, I heard something begin to rattle around inside as I struggled for a few minutes to uncork the stopper.

With a pop the cork finally released and went flying into the darkness, I heard the splash as it landed somewhere off to my right. Turning the bottle upside down, I hit the bottom a few times til the object inside landed in my hand. It appeared to be a ring; I tilted it a few different ways to catch the moonlight, when my finger brushed against an edged surface inside the band.

Getting to my feet, I strolled toward my front porch. Holding the band up to the light, the silver band seemed perfect in every way. Then a slight scuff caught my attention and I twisted the band to see it was engraved. “My darling Sarah, You are my greatest gift. Happy Birthday, Love Mom.” A tear sprung to my eye as I stared at the ring in wonder.

“I miss you mom.” I replied to the night, the bottle still clutched in my hands as I strolled inside the house.

© Copyright 2012 M.K. Stone (celticnite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1873981-Wonder-on-the-beach