*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874488-Frinne-an-Ghr--Truth-of-Love
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1874488
An Irish love story about two teens with mythological powers.
         The Great Mother looked down upon Teide and frowned. The girl looked unhappy. In fact, she looked downright miserable, sitting outside with her father. Drunk again, he was screaming at her unintelligibly. Teide burst into tears and ran inside. She gathered clothes in a bag and scrounged up what food she could find in the near-sparse cottage on the west coast of Ireland. Then she ran, as fast as she could, to her father’s rotting sailboat, bobbing neglected in the ocean. The girl’s father had taught her to use as a small child, before her mother had died and her father had begun drinking. She set sail to the west. The Great Mother watched closely, thinking about the dramatic tale that was sure to unfold.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
         She awoke in the boat, thinking, Where am I? She then remembered. She remembered her father screaming about her lack of a husband and running from the cottage she at that point called home. Teide vowed she never would return to that awful excuse for a life that was unfortunately her father. She sat up and looked out from the boat and started when she realized her small boat had hit land. It was a small island, she saw, with cliffs towering above her. There was a small cave, near the bottom. It was an easy enough climb to get to it, and it would be a nice place to stay. There was a tree near the shoreline, so she tied her boat to it and made her way toward the cave.
         When she arrived in the cave she found it to be empty of everything and anything, but quite large. As she examined as closely as she could in the dark, there was a puddle of water on the floor of the cave. She smiled at seeing this, and held her hand out to it, opening it slowly. From the water sprang a brilliant orange flame. Teide lowered her hand, still smiling. Her strange power was often useful.
         All of a sudden, screams of pain filled the cave. In milliseconds, the water was replaced by a young man, stunningly beautiful except his hair being on fire! Teide gasped and raised her open hand, closing it quickly. The fire was extinguished. The lovely man stared at her in terror, as she stared back with a matched expression. Teide was the first to speak, stammering, “Wh…where did you come from?”
         He thought a minute and then replied cautiously, “I’ve been here the whole time, just hiding. Where did you come from?”
         Teide was quiet for a moment. “I came from Ireland. Where am I now?”
         “You’re still in Ireland. This is a very secluded island by the name of ‘Eilinnsile’.” He replied as he moved to the mouth of the cave, and then continuing, “I see you came here by boat. Not a very attractive little boat there.”
         Teide reddened. “It’s my fath…” She paused. “It was my father’s boat. I took it. I ran away.”
         The man sighed, “I wish I could run away.”
         “Why can’t you?”
         “I’ve been confined to this cave since I was young.”
         “Who are you?” Teide asked, still very confused, but avoiding the obvious question, sensing that he didn’t quite trust her yet, and that something, not knowing what, had confused him.
         The young man smiled a smile that had Teide feeling faint. “My name is Muirin. Of course,” he added, with an air of slyness about him, “you may know me better as a puddle of water. This is, you remember, how we met only minutes ago.”
         Teide laughed. “My name is Teide.”
         “It’s lovely to meet you, Teide, even if under some strange circumstances. Have you a place to stay?”
         “No, I haven’t looked yet.”
         “You’re welcome to stay with me as long as you like!” Muirin said eagerly.
         Teide blushed. “I’d be honored.”
         And so Teide set her things in the far end of the cave. As she turned back to face her new roommate, she found he was gone, but there was a rippling pool of water on the ground. Teide laughed at this, thinking him to be comical. She left the cave swiftly and Muirin returned to human form.
         At this departure the Great Mother took a peek into Muirlin’s mind. His mind was filled with thoughts of the powerful girl. Mostly they focused on her beauty, but at times they delved into how she had summoned the fire that lit his blonde hair.          Watching closely, she knew he had feelings for the strange girl who had somehow entered his cave. She listened to one thought, in particular: She couldn’t have found the cave unless she’s one of Maeve’s messengers. I doubt that. Or she’s… At this he shook his head, having blushed at what he almost thought, and the Great Mother heard no more. He moved toward the mouth of the cave and sat down. He watched her with interest, studying her as she bent to pick up some driftwood and soaked it in the nearby ocean. She then climbed up to the cave with ease, and though not far from the bottom, it was still an impressive feat.
         Teide strolled into the cave, smiling. She looked at Muirin and then walked past, moving toward the back of the cave where the outside light didn’t hit as much. Setting down the wood, Teide looked covertly at Muirin. He was still staring at her. She smiled again and raised her closed han toward the woodpile. Watching Muirin’s reaction from her peripheral vision, she opened her hand slowly. An orange flame flickered to life from the soaked driftwood. Muirin looked shocked, though he had experienced the flames firsthand already. He collected himself as she turned her head to face him.
         “So,” he asked cautiously, “You’ve got powers, too?”
                   “I’m surprised you didn’t notice when I set you on fire.” Teide remarked, playfully sarcastic. Her sapphire eyes twinkled with amusement.
         Muirin blushed. “I…um…well…” He grinned sheepishly and Teide felt her stomach turn over. She sighed. Hours passed and the two young people got to know the other, both avoiding the questions preying on their minds: for Muirin, Why did she come here? and for Teide, Why doesn’t he leave the cave?
         At some time near dark, Teide smiled, “We’re quite a pair, aren’t we? I mean you can turn yourself to water, and I can set water on fire. It’s almost ironic.”
         The lovely, burnt-haired young man laughed. “You’re quite right, my dear,” He said, and his use of “my dear” turned Teide’s pale face red enough to match her flaming hair. She thought to herself, This is ridiculous! How is it possible that some handsome young man can make my head turn to putty at a smile? She shook her head at the very idea and instead smiled coyly.
         “‘My dear’? What exactly are you implying, Muirin?” Teide asked, with intended flirtatiousness.
         Muirin began stuttering nervously. His head screamed, No! Why did I add that? No!!! His mouth formed monosyllables equivalent to gibberish that made Teide giggle in amusement at Muirin’s awkward attempts at repealing his words. He sighed, looking so depressed that Teide wanted to cry. The girl was surprised at Muirin’s extreme, sudden change in mood. “I apologize for this. I’m not used to this. I’ve never met a girl, a real human girl before. Only Maeve, the goddess, has talked to me. Otherwise I am isolated. My cave is supposed to be hidden. I’ve grown up in the cave, never having been allowed to leave since birth, or thereabout. I’ve never known my parents, and never met any real person except you. Maeve has kept me in this cave, sending me food every day. She comes to me to use me. She then leaves.”
         “She ‘uses you’? For what?”
         Muirin flushed, refusing to look Teide in the eyes, and she understood at last. He was slave to her needs of copulation. This was why the goddess kept him. Her studies of the Irish folklore had not yet reached so in depth as to know of this Celtic goddess, but she now remembered that she had heard the people in town gossip of her and how ostentatious the goddess was. Teide sighed, upset at the dramatic and miserable tone the conversation had acquired. Muirin had left her company, had walked over to and sat down at the mouth of the cave. She approached him cautiously, tentative but also so very worried for him, wanting with all her being to have him be the smiling, jovial man she’d met and found comfort with.
         “Muirin. Muirin, please. Look at me.” She pleaded with the young man, desperate to make him feel alright. He turned slightly and in the low light she saw the tracks of tears on his ruddy, handsome face. He was the subject of torture. When Teide looked at him, she saw not the beautiful young man she met hours ago, but a frightened little boy that seemed like he should have lived years ago. She wanted to cry for him, but she couldn’t, she knew it wouldn’t help at all. Instead, she looked at him seriously and said, “I promise I’ll never do anything bad to you.” She knew it didn’t help the situation, but it was all she could offer. He looked at her through blurry grey eyes, surprised at the commitment. She said again, with more conviction, “I promise.” He looked happier. And then something shifted, he was studying her closer. Contemplating an action, whether or not to do something. Teide knew what this was soon, for moments later he was close to her, turning her face toward his and sealing her vow with a kiss. The display of endearment was ended suddenly by a loud shock of thunder, a warning from the Great Mother. The pair jumped apart. Teide’s face was scarlet. Muirin was no different. Though despite this open display of abashment, both were smiling, Teide openly, Muirin shyly.
         Teide laughed, “Well, I’m glad that we got that out of the way!” Muirin laughed along. Teide sighed, and started to climb out of the cave.
         “Where are you going?” Muirin asked.
         “I need to go find some food or something. Shall I bring you something?”
         “No, but-” Teide was gone before Muirin could finish the statement.
         Muirin sat, waiting for the girl to return, and soon a bright glow filled the cave. Maeve appeared, dressed in flowing emerald robes that accentuated her flaming red hair, by coincidence not unlike Teide’s. She held a plate, piled with food. She bent down and kissed him on the lips, drawing him to a standing position. “Hello, my darling.”
         Muirin blushed. “Hello, Maeve.” Maeve caressed his cheek, at the very spot where the blush stained his skin pink, and laughed.
         “You’re such an innocent little thing. I’m not going to use you today, I’m too tired tonight.” Maeve soothed him. Muirin relaxed and breathed an internal sigh of relief. “I just came by to drop off your food. I’ll see you tomorrow, love.”
         Maeve disappeared. Several minutes later, Teide returned to the cave. He smiled.
         “Did you find something to eat?” He asked. Teide nodded, and explained that she had found some fruit and this had satisfied her. She then asked of his dietary satisfaction. He said, “Maeve came by while you were out. She brought me food. She does this every night.”
         Teide smiled, though internally she worried of how Maeve’s visit affected him. She said, “I’m glad. And don’t worry about me. I like finding food for myself. It’s fun.”
         “That’s wonderful,” Muirin replied, smiling, “We probably ought to head towards sleep soon. Can you extinguish your fire?” Teide nodded and calmed her supernatural flame. When she turned back towards Muirin, the moonlight hit him and she realized he had summoned a bed from nowhere. When he saw her staring, he explained, “Maeve gave it to me. It gets stored during the daytime, unless Maeve comes. Only she and I know of the location,” He paused and added, “I’m sorry there’s only one. I suppose you could…” He trailed off sheepishly, not knowing how to finish the sentence. Teide smiled, thinking him to be quite attractive when he was embarrassed and flustered, though a blush crept up her neck as well.
         “Would it be alright if I shared with you? I don’t really think the cave floor would be the most comfortable thing in the world.” Teide grinned, not minding her realization that this bed was the very same that Maeve used Muirin in, and Muirin, not knowing her thoughts but fretting about the very same topic, beckoned her forward, hopeful that it didn’t matter, with a wave of his hand. Teide stopped and Muirin prayed that the realization hadn’t disenchanted her. “Would you turn away momentarily? I must change.”
         Relieved, he turned. Then he melted to a pool of water. Teide laughed, and changed quickly to a wrinkled nightgown in her bag.
         “Alright Muirin, you can reform.” He did so, and his breath caught. Standing with her back to the bright moonlight, even in her long nightgown, her beautiful shape was discernable, and he smiled timidly. The pair crawled into bed, but neither intended on sleeping. Teide wanted to talk. Muirin was content with anything, so long as he was with her. He didn’t want to do what he did with Maeve, though. So they talked. They talked about everything, anything. Time passed slowly, and soon the couple fell asleep, though Muirin slipped away before Teide did. The girl stayed awake for awhile longer, thinking about the day, thinking about her worries for Muirin, and most prevalent of all, thinking about the kiss. She wondered what it meant, wondered if he would do it again, and tingled with excitement at the memory of his lips on hers. And then, just as she was succumbing to her weariness, her mind brought forth an important thought: Will Maeve be angry?

         The Great Mother was furious. Maeve had no right to keep that poor boy captive. Especially now. The Great Mother found Maeve leaving a house in Wales, no doubt home to a man used for the same job as Muirin. She looked refreshed and devious. The young goddess looked startled by the presence of the authoritative elder.
         “Maeve,” The Great Mother said calmly, “What are you doing keeping a young man trapped in a cave? That’s not allowed without the permission of the Great Father. Does he know of your entrapment of Muirin?”
         Maeve paled. “Why, of course the Great Father knows. I’m not really that incompetent, Mother.”
         The Great Mother eyed Maeve suspiciously. “What then, is his crime? Imprisonment is only used for the severest crimes. It’s been heard that you have only been using him for satisfaction of lust, and that’s why he has been trapped. If that were the case, it wouldn’t have been cleared by the Great Father.”
         Maeve’s pale complexion darkened. “Who told you of my reasons for keeping him?”
         “It was overheard, his conversation betwixt himself and the girl, Teide, that found his cave upon her arrival on the secluded island. He has feelings for the girl.”
         Maeve was shocked. “But…but his cave is hidden! No one is able to find it!”
         “Well someone did. Teide. Upon arriving on the island, the girl saw the cave and climbed up to it. She mistakenly set Muirin on fire,” The Great Mother said, adding, “while he was in his water state”
         The seductive young goddess looked angry enough to kill, which the Great Mother was terrified she would do. “How dare that immature, stupid girl try and take what is mine!” Maeve spat.
         The Great Mother looked at Maeve with contempt and ridicule, thinking, I do not believe Teide is the one who is immature and stupid. The Great Mother sighed. “If the cave was invisible to strangers, how did Teide find it?”
         “I don’t know how that moronic girl found my cave, and I don’t care! I just want her out!” Maeve yelled, livid with hatred. The Great Mother almost felt sorry for her. But she was curious.
         “Maeve, tell me. How did you hide the cave?”
         “It was simple magick by a druid. I forget the exact spell. It was something like:
‘Lig an áilleacht fanacht i bhfolach ar shiúl (Let the beauty remain hidden away)
I uaimh chaille oighir trí riachtanais a bhaineann le súgradh (In a cave veiled by needs of play)
Nuair a thagann fírinne an ghrá chun fanacht (When truth of love comes to stay)
Beidh an seal scáthfhoghlaim mhaolú ar deireadh (The shadowing spell will finally allay)’

Yes, that was it. That was exactly it.” Maeve finished and her eyes widened. “Oh no, no she cannot be his true love. No.”
         The Great Mother smiled, pleased. “Yes, Maeve. Teide is Muirin’s true love. You can do nothing to stop it.”
         Maeve took this as a challenge, rather than a warning. “Nothing? Oh, Mother. You know me not.”

         When Muirin awoke, he found the girl, the one that he had been quickly devoted to, lying next to him. He smiled. She was beautiful. Teide stayed asleep as he rose from the bed. He turned to water, which cleansed him. When he returned to human form, Teide had begun to stir. She sat up and stretched. Confusion was on her face as she looked around for her new friend, and she smiled brightly when she saw him standing there, looking at her. He laughed. Her hair was tousled in a tangled knot, and her nightgown was slipping off one shoulder. She looked a mess, and it was lovely. She looked at him quizzically. He sat down on the bed next to her and said, “You’re so beautiful,” and smiled. She blushed and kissed his cheek.
         “Thank you.” Teide said, still flushed and flustered by his compliment. This pleased him. It showed him that his words, sincere and heartfelt, meant something to the young woman.
         Teide stood from the bed, adjusting her nightgown as she rose. “Will you turn away, please? I have to change.”
         Muirin turned and then melted to his water state, quivering and rippling. Teide quickly changed her clothes, into something clean from her bag. She called out, “Alright, Muirin, you can turn back now.”
         Barely had the words left her mouth when the young man was standing in front of her, a quiet smile playing on his lips. She looked at him, bemused by his shy expression. “What?” She asked, “Don’t I look alright?”
         Muirin laughed gaily. He walked to her and took her in his arms. “Yes, Teide, you absolutely look alright!”
         Teide beamed. She could tell he was growing more relaxed and confident, being around her. His actions were still shy and gentlemanly, but he was more himself. She just knew it. And she loved that. She wanted him to be comfortable around her, because she was comfortable around him. She knew he was important to her, and she hoped and prayed to the Great Mother that she was important to him.
         She kissed him quickly. He blushed and she laughed, swatting playfully at the spot where the color reached his cheeks. “You’re blushing, you know.” This comment made his face redder, and it was so very attractive that Teide thought she might faint.
         Muirin smiled and thought to himself as he watched her laugh at him, She really is wonderful. And she is easily the most beautiful creature I’ve ever seen. I really was lucky to meet her. She mustn’t leave me or else I’d surely die.
         Teide was thinking the same thing about him.
         Sighing, Teide realized she had to go and find food. She looked at Muirin and said, “As much as I’d love to stay with you, I really must got find some food. Does Maeve provide your breakfast?”
         Muirin nodded, and Teide took off. Muirin moved to the mouth of the cave and watched the girl as the Great Mother watched Muirin, fearful of Maeve’s vengeance toward Teide.
         Soon, as Teide was hunting through the forest upon the island, she came across a large amount of fruit, the very same that she had eaten the previous night, but upon further inspection, it was discovered that a large portion of the fruit had become spoiled and rotten overnight. Teide decided to find another source of a meal. A ways later she found a fruit-bearing tree, but she watched as a bird came and ate a piece of the fruit and promptly fell to the ground, wracked with spasms, proving the fruit to be poison. Teide groaned in frustration. Is there nothing to eat on the island?! She thought, annoyed and worried about how she would find food. Maeve took care of Muirin but Teide knew any hope of Maeve taking care of her was illogical and naïve.
         Teide returned to Muirin empty-handed. Before seeing this he had been confused, but he grew concerned by Teide’s lack of provisions, nervous for both him- and her-self. Maeve hadn’t brought any food this morning, which she always did, or she sent someone to do it for her, no matter what. And now that Teide was coming up short in the hunt for food, he wondered how they would survive.
© Copyright 2012 Jazmine Euller (lovesnowflurry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874488-Frinne-an-Ghr--Truth-of-Love