*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874602-A-lesson-of-life
by Lucas
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1874602
Tell me what would you do to save an angel
This can’t be it, it just can’t, and yet it was so real the colour the texture there was no mistaking it was blood. But the hero doesn’t die he can’t die! Can he? So many questions, so many thoughts his head ached and his skull throbbed. What was this fear, dread, anger what could it be? A bead of sweat slowly trickled down my cheek falling to the carpeted floor, as darkness took over.
Three words broke through the black void ‘TO BE CONTINUED’ which we’re subsequently met by the hurling of soft drinks and assorted confectionaries. Who knew such small words could start such a series of boos and jeers? Once the worst of the riot had subsided the lights came up bringing reality back with it, “Hey Sam so what you think? Sam? Wake up you idiot!” and there it was. Reality. As loud and brash as ever, Lilly-Ann Marshall, or the Lill Marshall as she is more commonly known. 5ft 7inches of pure annoyance. Take your nails to a chalk board and start grinding your teeth, all to the classic rush hour roadwork’s sound track, and you’re listening to Lilly, “You know we are in a theatre, you can use your indoor voice” I replied not being able to help the small grin appear on my face, “Well I would have done” she huffed, “but somebody had zoned out the room completely.”
It had been the premier of Two Down, One To Go, the blockbuster thriller on everybody’s lips, “A tale of two hero’s, action packed and spell binding” said the papers, “A must see for all movie lovers” stated the web, “a bunch of Hollywood drivel, dressed up with fancy fireworks and predictable car chases” was the most accurate review made to date. Made by non-other than the guy who had sat to my left during the whole film, Alex Clayton, “that’s all it was you know” he continued, “just a lot of bells and whistles, they say you polish a turd it’s still a turd, wouldn’t you agree Sam?”
Now although we did not always agree on many things, there is one thing I had always admired about that man, honesty. If you ever wanted an opinion on anything Mike was your guy, never cruel, nor menacing he would simply tell it how it is. “Yeah your right” I replied trying to wipe the sweat from my forehead “especially that fake blood scene who would ever believe that?”
“God you’re both so miserable!” the marshal was back, “Can’t you just enjoy one film without picking fault? Come on I need ice-cream.” So with a feeble yes mam salute and an about face the popcorn littered isles were left behind for fresh air. As the double doors were burst open the sunlight was blinding and the air met my nostrils with the smell of barbeques, freshly cut grass and wild summer flowers, the hottest day in British history according to the news and it certainly felt it. Mark piped up again “so what now? To warm for the arcade and can’t very well go swimming, we’re broke, so park?” A suggestion greeted with the unanimous nodding of heads, but a quick time check put a stop to those plans “look guys, I’m really sorry but I have to go, but I’ll catch up with you in lectures tomorrow, promise.”
“ There he goes again, you’re always doing this Sam, ditching us to go off god knows where doing who knows wh- ” before the sentence was complete the marshal was brought down to a private once more by Alex “leave it Lil, let him go, catch you later Sam.” With a small smile as a way of thanks I turned my back and headed back down the street. Well what could I say? How could they possibly understand? No they couldn’t, not unless they walked in these shoes with this heart, only then could they possibly get it. But you know what, for their sake, I hope they never do.

3.00pm, it was a time forever etched into my memory, 3 till 4, 10 till 11 weekends, they were the visiting hours at the local Oakfield hospital intensive care unit, those were the only times I ever got to see her. I walked through the wooden door giving a, small knock as always, hoping and praying for some sort of response like, “come in, take a seat, how has your day been?” but as always, nothing, just a cold, lonely silence filled the room. It seemed larger every time I entered it or just emptier somehow, no colours on the walls just pure white, random machines dotted around the place, beeped and buzzed to an almost melodic tune, accompanied by flashing lights and buttons galore. Just one window provided the light source from the far wall. The still beautiful evening sun burst through the open blinds and a single chair was placed by the bedside we’re she lay, as still and as quiet as when we last spoke. “It’s amazing, isn’t it? The sun I mean, thirty degrees in some places they say” I knew there would be no response but even so I knew she was listening. Pulling up the chair, I took hold of her hand as the sheer beauty of the girl before me in that hospital bed started to sink in, patient 0107, Grace Taylor “’You know what love, the only thing that could make it perfect is if you were in my arms”. We met a while back in college; she was just as beautiful back then to and noticed me as much as she did now. Shining dark hair, the cutest smile, the kindest voice with a heart of gold to match but most of all, the thing that I will always remember are her eyes, as dark as the night, but never has anything bought so much light into my life. God if I could only count the amount of times I got lost in those eyes. I have never been a believer in the divine, heaven or hell but if the bible is to be believed, she truly was an angel. An angel only now heavens gates are calling back.
Why? Why do the worst things happen to the best people? I’d often sat there for hours just talking to her, I know there was no way she could possible answer but even so I just didn’t, kind of, want her to lie in that ward alone. “Hey Grace guess what almost finished lectures now, I know right ‘bout time, last exams in two weeks, just can’t wait to get it over and done with and before you even think it yes I have been revising” as always the reply was a simple one - silence. “The marshals being big headed about the whole thing, as usual, recons she’ll beat me and Mark by at least 10 marks in the written exam.” Again not even smallest remnants of a smile. I could feel them now, tears slowly collecting in my lower eyelids, leaning over to give her a kiss on the forehead I couldn’t stop them from flowing any longer. “Grace, Grace, please I know you can hear I need you to keep fighting ok? Please just open your eyes and look, just look I’m lost without you, my guiding light. Just remember no matter what happens I’m not letting you go come heaven or hell I will see those eyes shine again - I swear it.” What started as a few tears soon turned into a steady stream and my words started to get caught in the back of the throat. All that was now manageable was a final kiss on her cheek along with a whisper, “see you tomorrow beautiful.” finally managing to let go of her hand I placed it gently by her side and whipped away the worst of the tears. Keeping a bowed head, making sure to avoid the various bedside machines, I left the empty whitewashed room behind for another day.
It was a restless sleep that night, my dreams invaded by shadowy figures laughing and joking to themselves, although I could not make out the punch line. This wasn’t the first time I had this dream, the last couple of nights had been similar, but something was different somehow the shadows had become a lot more like silhouettes and I could just make out vague shapes around me, then I heard it. At first a distant echo in the very back of my mind but it got louder and louder until it was as plain as day. “Sam, Sam she’s waiting for you Sam”, those words, that small sinister chuckle, it cut through the shapes and deformed figures chilling me right to the bone. “Who are you? Where are you? Show yourself now!” “Oh now, now Sam, if I’m not much mistaken that had an air of aggression and a hint of fear about it. That’s no way to speak to someone who’s merely trying to help out and old acquaintance now is it?” the words almost seemed gleeful now, like a child had just found a new toy to play with. I could see it now, I was sure of it. On one of the shadowy figures, a large wry grin had started to form; a set of legs and arms had also started to become visible. It seemed to be making its way over to me, taking slow purposeful strides, “Good, that’s good you can start to see me now just a little longer and we can begin” the silhouette was definitely creeping ever closer, I could feel my heart start to race, as my breaths picked up the pace with it. Gathering all the strength I could I tried again “Maybe you didn’t hear me the first time, and this will be the last time I ask, who are you?”
But yet again the response was not the one I was looking for. “That’s cute, very cute Sam” the grin just seemed to grow larger and more menacing with every word “that might just have been a hint of courage I heard there. But I’m afraid I can see it in your eyes, fear Sam, beautiful glorious, unbridled fear.” It was right, all through my legs, my arms chest and hands, nothing but fear, my heart felt as if it was about to move up and vacate the premises as whilst my body felt heavy and cumbersome. Before I could even regain control the voice began again, “So, what do you intend to do with this new found courage Sam, find me? Face me? Defeat me? Oh so many questions so little time but for now I just want you to remember one, little, fact, no matter where you go I’ll be waiting.” With one last spine chilling laugh the figure returned to the depths from once it came and I was alone once more.
© Copyright 2012 Lucas (lucas93 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1874602-A-lesson-of-life