*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875379-Nightmare
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1875379
Zombies are real in a nightmare
The night was like spilled ink, the darkness a weight on my chest as I ran through trees whose branches reached out like deformed fingers and clawed at my face. My breath came out in whimpers and my hands reached out blindly, swimming through the air like a child in the water. A spider web of lightning lit the sky as I broke through the trees, and I saw her slight figure standing on the road in front of me. She stood like a statue, rain pouring in sheets down her skin, her eyes closed and her chin raised to the sky.
I stopped running and sank to the pavement, my hands sinking into tiny warm puddles of water, the only feeling on my numb body. Leah was over me in an instant, her hands under my arms, pulling me to my feet. I felt too weak to stand and let my head bob on my chest and she tilted my chin up to meet her face, her eyes reflecting the storm like a mirror.
“Im your family now.”
Despite the thunder her voice was a deep rumble that echoed until I felt it like a vibration in my bones. She took my hand and pulled me down the road in the darkness. She was moving too fast, the wind was pulling my clothes and dragging me back as she yanked me forward. I fell to my knees again when we finally reached the end of the road. More lightning lit up the sky and the blood on my shirt, the water running down my legs turning pink. Seeing the blood in a twisted flash of light made my stomach curl and I covered my mouth with my hands.
Suddenly light stung my eyes and lit my skin like a flame. I felt myself being dragged up on my feet and pushed forward in the warm night until I fell like a toddler onto smooth leather seats. The car was too dark but it's headlights pierced the night, and the glowing arm of my sister swung in and out of its beams. I gasped and Leah’s small hand covered my mouth as she yelled at the driver to go. The car swerved in the rain and the light traveled up her arm and to her distorted face. I screamed as her eyes met mine, the black sockets and the gash that tore her cheek away from her tiny skull, revealing her jaw and teeth, made my breath catch in my chest.
She stood in front of the car, blood drenching her body and matching the red ribbon still in her hair from earlier this morning. When the car slammed into her the hood wrapped around her small body and the back of the vehicle flew into the air, hanging suspended in the one moment of silence since this all began. Leah and I fell forward and I felt the windshield break under my skin, warm blood running down my neck and chest like a blanket I could bury myself into, fall asleep, and never wake up.
My head jerked back as my hair was yanked and I felt my body being pulled from the car, it’s smoke wrapping around me like a seductive lover. My sister’s once beautiful face was now twisted and bleeding over mine, her snarls echoing through my ears and my scream was trapped in the throat she held tight between her bloody hands. As she leaned over me, one side of her mouth pulled back in a snarl over dull yellow teeth, I prayed to a God that I didn’t trust. She placed her mouth over my skin and everything went black.

© Copyright 2012 Jessica (jessica11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1875379-Nightmare