*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876319-Music-in-the-Swordplay
by Fletch
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1876319
Harth teaches two boys how to be good swordsman
The swords arched and swung in such a manner as to sound like sweet music to the instructor. Harth hadn’t expected either of his pupils to be this good, this fluid, this articulate in their mastery of duel sword play. At first, neither could swing a sword to save their life, but now, since he introduced them to music, they were the best students he had ever had.

They had no qualities that a true master swordsman would need at first, but as they related their particular fighting styles to the music they memorized in their heads, their ability began to change. As he showed them timing and rhythm, they became more fluid. As they learned about beat and rhyme, they became more articulate. All in all, they became masters of their movements, totally in control of their bodies.

Then he introduced them to God, and His Son, Jesus. Their entire motivation changed as they gave their hearts to Him. There reasoning became less of a hack and slash style and became more of a graceful style, always showing mercy to their opponents. Their moves were calculated, not to kill, but to disarm, in an effort to share their love for their fellow man and to share Jesus’ love for them.

Yes, these boys had changed dramatically and it showed in everything. He had even heard that their other studies had even changed for the better. They were more interested in reading, as long as they could read the scriptures and their arithmetic dramatically increased in ability as they began to understand the comparisons between music and math. These boys had found something they could use to help them and Harth felt good about that. He had taught them more than to be trained swordsmen; he had trained them to be instruments of mercy, sharers of the faith. He was proud of them.

He wasn’t sure how to tell them that their sword training was over; they were ready for their test. He wanted them to stay with him for a while longer, to help them mature in their faith, to help them mature in their sword style. He knew the king would be calling them to his service any day now, as war was beginning to break out. He just hoped these two would make it back to share with him what they had done. He prayed silently for their safety.

He again brought his mind back to the present and focused on them. He watched them parry and lunge at each other. Each was swinging two swords and he again was amazed at how each move they made was completely calculated. He listened to the sounds they made and tried to make out what song each was listening to in his head. He wondered if that was how they calculated their timing, by the timing of the music. A slight smile came to his lips as he remembered the first song he had ever heard. He recalled how well he could calculate his timing when he thought upon that song, but he also remembered how much it added to his entire being when he thought of the words.

He began to hum, thinking of those words in his head, letting himself slip into a mode of silent worship to his Savior. “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.” He wept inwardly as the words came to his mind.
© Copyright 2012 Fletch (dfletcher2012 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1876319-Music-in-the-Swordplay