*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878013-Shifters-Curse
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1878013
A girl with the gift of changing her form.
{This story is set in a place similar to earth but it is nothing like the modern. I have 27 pages written so far, this is only the first six. This is my first attempt at creating my own world.}


“You’re sure?” A deep male voice rumbled in the dark.
         “I’m positive in what I have seen.” Another male voice replied.
         “But her life will be happy otherwise; this will be the equivalent of a curse.” The first voice growled.
         “I haven’t caused anything I have only seen what will happen. I cannot change something she is born with. Without our help she will die when she comes of age, or she will go mad and die like others have before her. They will ultimately find her and use her as a weapon.” The second voice said.
         “Let’s just set fire to the whole bloody kingdom and destroy it.” A younger male voice said angrily. A flame sparked to life and the eyes of the speakers glinted in the light before it was extinguished.
         “Hush boy.” A female voice said sharply. “Please continue you two.”
         “One of us has to volunteer. It’s a hard job because we have to teach her and…”
         “I will do it.” The first voice cut off the second voice.
         The voices stopped and were momentarily silent in the darkness.
         “Good luck, brother.” The second voice said, breaking the silence. “You and I will infiltrate the Order once the time comes. We have difficult times ahead of us, my friends.”
         “Where is the child now?” The first voice asked.
         “She is at her home, being born.”
….
         “Zana Tussah you get back here or…or you’re not gonna like the consequences!”
         Zana laughed as she ran through the trees, a bow in her hand and a quiver of soft, cushion tipped arrows covered in gold powder in a quiver on her back. She had just shot her brother in the chest with one, gaining the kill shot and winning the game. Her brother was a sore loser and was now chasing after her to seek some form of revenge. Zana imagined that revenge would be wrestling her to submission, carrying her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, and dumping her in the nearest cold stream.
         “You can’t catch me!” She called over her shoulder. “What’s the matter, Brad, can’t take a soft arrow to the chest with your pride intact?”
         Zana giggled as she heard his growl of frustration, then he was quiet and she knew he was hunting her now as he would a deer. Zana stopped running and drew another arrow; even though she had won the game the best way to subdue her brother against dumping her in a stream would be to sock him with a puff of gold powder right in the face. She smiled as she crouched down using the tall grass as her cover. She peeked through the blades and saw her brother silently making his way through the woods; a lovely gold spray of powder covered his chest right above his heart. Zana must have made some sort of noise because Brad suddenly turned in her direction and made his way over to her. With a smile Zana hopped up and unleashed her arrow, it flew straight and true and hit the dead center of Brad’s face. Powder exploded on impact and covered his hair and face in gold. The arrow bounced harmlessly off and Brad stood there with his eyes tightly closed and his lips set in a firm line. Then his lips curved upward and he started laughing. He opened his eyes and two sharp points of blue stood out from the gold.
         “I guess I taught my sister how to shoot an arrow a bit too well, hmm?” He chuckled. “I won’t dunk you in a pond, this time little sister. We’d best get home and clean up, supper should be ready soon.”
         Zana retrieved her arrow and followed her older brother home; she was very pleased that she was finally able to beat him at this game. They soon reached a descent sized cabin in a clearing in the woods. The cabin was made of wood and housed three bedrooms and a kitchen. When they didn’t need the table they could fold it and set it against the wall and bring out pillows and chairs to sit on and be near the fire and talk. Near the house was a wooden shed that housed three horses. One of them was Zana’s, the other Brad’s, and the last horse belonged to their parents. They were all three Percherons. Zana’s horse was an eighteen hand coal black stallion named Ma’tias. Brad’s horse was also eighteen hands, only his was gray and named Phantom. Ma’tias and Phantom were brothers their parents’ seventeen hand brown mare was their dam. Brad’s Phantom was one year older than Zana’s Ma’tias.
         Brad and Zana’s father came out of the cottage when they got closer.
         “By the looks of things, Brad, I would say you finally lost.” He said, beaming.
         “Aye. Well you know I was just going easy on her this time since her birthday is soon.” He said with a wink.
         Zana took a shaft from her quiver and hit him on the head with it. A cloud of gold powder puffed around his head and Brad coughed from the dust.
         “I beat you fair and square brother, don’t go making up stories.” Zana stuck her tongue out at him.
         Brad grinned ruefully. “Ok ok, sheesh.”
         Their father laughed. “Come inside you two, supper is ready. Wash up first, especially you Brad.”
         They went to the wash basin and washed up. Brad practically dunked his head in the bowl to get rid of the gold powder.
         Zana giggled. “I think you’re the one who needs a dunk in a stream.”
         Brad shook the water from his hair and glared at her. “Next time the kill shot is mine.”
         They went into the house together and sat at the table, their father was already sitting at the head and their mother was setting food on the table. Gerard and Jeannette Tussah were like a Lord and a Lady of an important house, even though their dwelling was a simple cottage. Zana had always admired her mother’s grace and was always trying to be like her in some way. At close to sixteen years old Zana still felt a little shabby when she was near her mother, she didn’t think she would ever live up to Jeannette’s grace.
         Gerard took the platter of deer haunch and cut into it with his hunting knife and served them each a piece. He folded his hands and bent his head and said a prayer, then they could eat.
         “So Brad, you’ll be turning eighteen next month, have you decided on what you will do yet?” Gerard asked.
         Brad nodded. “I think I’ve decided to join the guard. There are different squadrons I could join up with and the pay would be good. I can bring Phantom with me, he’s very impressive.”
         Zana’s eyes widened. “Could you be in the Gryphon Squadron?” She asked excitedly.
         Brad chuckled. “The Gryphon Squadron is for the best of the best. Maybe someday I could be a part of them, but not right away. I’d have to be really good first.”
         “But you are really good. You can shoot an arrow like no one else I know, your sword work is amazing, and you beat me every time we fight.” Zana said.
         “Well little sister, no offense but I beat you every time because you’re a scrawny girl. Members of the guard are men like our papa, and they’re not as easy to fight.”
         Zana stuck her tongue out at him.
Gerard chuckled. “All right enough you two. Before your birthday Brad I’ll go into town and I’ll make some inquiries.” Then he turned to Zana. “And what about you, you’ll be sixteen tomorrow. I suppose you’ll want to follow your brother to the guard, hmm?”
Underneath the table Jeannette kicked Gerard’s ankle and he barely suppressed a wince.
Zana looked at her brother. “Are there any girls in the guard?”
“There are quite a few, many are even the captains of some squadrons. I heard that the leader of the Gryphon Squadron is a woman paired with a majestic white gryphon.
Zana’s eyes widened. “I have been thinking for a while. I’m all done with my studies and housework is boring. I want to go do something exciting. Can I please go join the guard with Brad?”
“Out of the question.” Jeannette said. “Sweetheart the guard is no place for a young woman like you. You belong in a court as someone’s lady in waiting. Yes that would suit you just fine.”
Zana made a face. “From what I’ve seen of the courts of the nearby Lords is that they’re boring a stuffy. I’ve seen the way people of lower birth have been treated in those courts, even if they’ve been accepted as an assistant to the lord or lady. It’s terrible, I won’t go there.”
Jeannette was opening her mouth to say more when Gerard covered her small hand in his large, strong one. “We don’t need to discuss this now; she doesn’t have to leave the nest yet. Help your mother clean up the dishes children.”
Brad and Zana sighed and did as he said then they each went to their own rooms. Zana sat on her bed and took out her sketch book. She set an oil lamp on the small table near her bed and started to draw. She drew a marvelous male gryphon. Even though she had only seen a gryphon once, and from a long distance away, she was able to remember every detail of the creature. This gryphon’s head was held high and his wings were outstretched. He looked strong and graceful, a predator of the sky and earth. There was a quiet knock on a small door that connected her room to Brad’s. She quickly opened it and Brad slipped into her room. He sat on her bed and picked up the drawing.
“This is really good.” He said quietly, then he set the picture aside and patted the space on the bed next to him. Zana sat and Brad put his arm around her. “You know, I think you should be able to do what you want. I don’t think I like the idea of you being in the guard, it’s rather dangerous, but I know that you are strong and can take care of yourself. Look how you hold your own against papa and I.” He smiled at her. “Just think about this a little more, ok? You have plenty of time. I’m eighteen and I’m going into the guard, so you don’t have to decide now. Don’t let mother bully you into what she wants, she was a lady in waiting at one time and had a good experience with it and she wants the same for you. I don’t think she understands what the nobility is like around here though.”
Zana sighed and leaned against him. “You’re right, I’ll think about it some more. I’ll go out on a ride with Ma’tias sometime tomorrow.”
Brad smiled. “Good idea. Now you should sleep, you have a big day ahead of you tomorrow.”
He kissed her cheek then went back to his room through the connecting door. Zana changed into her sleeping clothes and extinguished the oil lamp. She lay awake for a while trying to sort through the many thoughts in her head before she finally fell asleep. When she slept she dreamed about flying with gryphons and, the oddest thing of all, having a conversation with Ma’tias where he spoke back.
….
The next morning Zana woke to the fragrant smell of a freshly baked cake. She quickly put on a nice set of clothes and rushed to the kitchen. A cake was sitting on the table cooling and two wrapped presents sat by it. She heard the door to her brother’s room open and close and he entered the kitchen with a small gift in his hands. He smiled at her and set the present on the table.
“Happy birthday little sister.” He said and gave her a hug. “You’ll open my present last ok?”
Zana smiled back. “Ok.”
Gerard entered carrying a bundle of wood for the fire. “Good morning, feel any different now that you’re sixteen?”
Zana thought for a moment. “Yeah I guess I do.” She did feel a little different that morning, she wasn’t sure what, but she brushed it off. “Can we have cake and open presents now?”
They all smiled and Jeannette cut the cake and gave them each a piece. Then Zana picked up the present from her father first and carefully opened the brown paper wrapping tied with twine. She pulled out a pair of soft, waterproof, leather boots. Zana happily looked them over and pulled them on. They went to her knee and would be perfect for riding. She opened her mother’s gift and pulled out a traveling sewing kit and some jewelry. Then she opened her brother’s gift. It was heavier than the other two had been and she opened it excitedly. She pulled out a dagger with an ornately carved hilt in a sheath with a belt for easy carrying. The hilt was made out of ivory and carved into it were intricate designs of fantastic creatures. Zana buckled the belt around her waist and smiled.
“Thank you everyone. These are lovely gifts.”
“Your grandparents will be here this evening to celebrate.” Jeannette said. “You can do whatever you want until then.”
“Ma’tias and I are going to go for a ride, I’ll be back in about an hour. I can test out my new boots.” She smiled then skipped outside to Ma’tias.
Zana rarely rode with a saddle so she didn’t bother with one today. She bridled the stallion then hopped on his back with the help of a tree stump. Then they took off at a fast trot into the forest. Zana noticed that there seemed to be something odd about the forest today. It was mid morning so the birds should still be singing or at least making some sort of noise. But the forest was eerily still. Ma’tias snorted and danced sideways, not wanting to be in the forest. Zana quickly dismounted to calm the horse down. She placed her hand on his chest and gasped when a small jolt went through her arm. Ma’tias reared up and crashed back down, the whole forest seemed to shake with his weight.
“Hush Ma’tias it’s all right.” Zana said. Then all of a sudden a searing pain went through her body, originating at the base of her spine and exploding through her skull. She cried out and went down to her knees. Her hands hurt too and when she looked down at them she was horrified to see that they were turning black. She crawled over to a nearby stream and shoved her hands in the water. The black didn’t wash off. She rubbed her hands on her clothes but the black still didn’t come off. Zana saw something in the water and looked in. Then she reared back when she saw her own reflection. What she saw couldn’t have been real, that wasn’t her. She looked again and cried out in horror. The skin of her face had also turned black but she had a white stripe running down her forehead to her nose. Her hair had turned black and was much thicker. As she looked at her reflection her face seemed to elongate and form into something different. She felt bones snapping rearrange themselves. Zana cried out and curled into a fetal position.
“Stop! Please stop!” She sobbed. Then suddenly the pain was gone. Zana drew in a shaky breath and peered into the water again. Her own face looked back at her, her skin no longer black. She turned back to Ma’tias her was looking at her curiously, his nostrils flaring. “What the hell was that?” She whispered as she went back to him. She wrapped her arms around his thick neck and leaned against him, shaking.
Hissing laughter broke the silence of the forest. Frightened, Zana scrambled to mount Ma’tias and she latched onto his main tightly when she was finally seated on his back. She was prepared to urge him into a gallop when a voice spoke to her.
“I wouldn’t run girl.” The voice had the same hissing that the laughter did. “You see, there are creatures in this forest hunting you and they just love it when their prey runs. They wouldn’t hurt you, no, I have instructed them not to. But your horse here, he would make a very fine meal for them.” Eager yapping and growls followed his voice and they sounded like a pack of dogs.
“Who are you? What do you want?” Zana asked. Her voice was cracking and had a slight tremble in it.
“As to who I am you’ll find out eventually. And, why, of course I want you dear girl.”
A creature emerged into view, scales blacker than coal and eyes as red as rubies. The creature opened its mouth and roared, then leapt on her and Ma’tias, grasping them both in its huge front paws. With a single flap of giant wings the creature surged into the sky holding her and Ma’tias. Zana screamed and was joined by Ma’tias’ squeal and that was the last thought she had.
© Copyright 2012 Aganippe (aganippe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878013-Shifters-Curse