*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878271-Infernal-Trade
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1878271
The price is heavy, but power is power. (D&D 4e half-elf warlock)
The creature stood close to her, tall and proud and towering; smelling of brimstone. Revek Draek stood as well, and though she was only a few inches shorter, he still seemed to tower. Her mind was racing. His eyes were staring through her dirty hair and into her eyes and soul, and had been for the past fifteen minutes.

"Revek Draek," he said at last, swirling the name around in his mouth, tasting it for truths. "You're a whore," he said accusingly.

"Survivor."

"And a thief."

"Opportunist."

"A liar."

She held his stare. "Never."

He studied her for a moment, then a smile cracked across his stony face. "You're perfect."

She bent at the waist in a gentle bow, breaking into a smile of her own. "Thank you." She stood upright, smoothing a stray braid back behind her shoulders. "Does this mean we have a deal?"

The demon nodded and began removing a leather glove. Anticipating, she reached out with her own hand to shake. Instead he grabbed her arm with his still gloved hand, twisted it palm up and pressed one bare fingertip into the delicate skin of her wrist.

At first it felt like ice. In an instant the ice gave way to fire and even as she realized this and began to twist away he had finished, and was already releasing her. She staggered backward, legs trembling, then deliberately lowered herself to her knees. She cradled her injured arm in front of her, staring at the black circle of burnt skin.

“Shit,” she gasped. She was too startled to say anything else. Nausea threatened to claim her as she inhaled the scent of burning flesh, and she broke her stare to glare up at the demon. He was pulling the glove back on, idly flexing and wiggling his fingers to correct the fit.

Then he began to remove the other one. “We aren’t done,” a hiss of steam wove along top of his resonant deep voice.

“Like hell we aren’t.”

“Very funny.” He paused. "Are you going to let a little scar keep you from power, survivor?”

“Is this common practice?” Questions-the only stalling tactic she could think to use against a demon. Had Galen mentioned anything about a burn? Had she been so foolish to think it wouldn't ask an immediate sacrifice in return? I really ought to have done more research, she thought bitterly. She'd never heard of a demon that could burn with it's touch...but truth be told, she didn't know much about demons. Now that she thought about it, she didn't know much about warlocks, either. She was suddenly very worried.

The creature snorted and spoke slowly. "If you were just another prissy child looking to attain a little taste of power, I'd sooner devour you. I grant you this because you are different. You will do many remarkable things; everywhere you go they will see my mark upon you. And you, no matter how far you rise or fall, will never forget me. Or should I make you my dinner instead?"

Backhanded flattery and a threat, though the threat barely registered. In her life most people spoke only to threaten. But the flattery? Rev was absolutely useless against flattery.

Setting her mouth into a thin, grim line, she held out her other arm. This time she did not try to pull away.
© Copyright 2012 mind the gap (minbari_child at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878271-Infernal-Trade