*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1879395-Letting-Go
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Prose · Friendship · #1879395
A brief letter to my soon-to-be forgotten friends.
We cannot continue to live like this. It has been a week and already my mind is beginning to stray from the concept of ever meeting you, of ever laying eyes on your face. Already the image of you blurs and its better that way. It’s the way God intended it. Because I’m going back to school, back to the place that I escaped from in order to meet you. I’m moving on, now. It’s time for you to move on, too. We cannot continue to live like this. Not now. What has happened has happened. We were friends, but you must admit; three weeks ago, I knew not your name or your birthplace. And in those short two weeks, you confessed to me the vast intricacies of your soul. You believed me a trustworthy vessel for your bevy of secrets and you were a fool to do so. You exposed your treasure to me, a valiant but amicable-looking stranger, unprompted.

We may have been friends. Hell, we still may be. But I will never lay eyes on your face again. I will never see you in your physicality, not at least in person. I may gaze upon you from behind a computer screen, or while peering into a television, or when reading an article in the paper, but never will I have the face-to-face discourse that so proliferated our existence for those two weeks. I know it is sad, but it is existence and it is the way.

I pray you don’t forget me, and I pray you don’t forgive me. For all I’ve said is true. I know that by saying such atrocities, you will remember me as my memories of you fade to nothingness. As your face is replaced with that of another and your name skewed to something unrecognizable on the chalkboard of my memories, I will remember those sensations. Will that suffice?

I pray you don’t forget me, though. It is vain to think I am worthy of being remembered, but it is also vain to think that of yourself.

It’s time to let go. Letting go is fun. It is the way. It is the reality of existence.

Let go.

It’s over.

With time, I will remember not your name. With time, you will remember not my face. With time, you will remember only the memory of having a memory. After that, you will remember only sensation. After sensation has left you, will remember nothing.

I will be nothing.

We will be nothing.

Let’s be nothing together.

Would you like that?
© Copyright 2012 Da Xiong (xlee145 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1879395-Letting-Go