*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880022-Mismatched-and-Hyperfocused
by Hello1
Rated: E · Other · Romance/Love · #1880022
He sees her and just can't stop wondering about her
She was just sitting there. Staring at a notebook. I was surprised that she wasn't chewing on the eraser of the pencil she was holding. If it hadn't been for my co-worker and buddy Eric, I wouldn't have gotten back to waiting tables. There was something that just drew me to her. Lucky for me, ok, I don't believe in luck, but I can't think of a better word to use right now, lucky for me, I was to be her waiter. I walked up slowly, introduced myself, as was the routine, and asked her if what she wanted to drink. I didn't get an answer. She was still completely focused on her notebook, the page that it was open to had one work written on it. It was indented, so she was starting a paragraph. The word was "the." "The," that's all she had written. I wondered if there was more to this story or essay or whatever she was writing. Or, if that's how far she had gotten. If I didn't have a job to do I would have waited all evening for her to finally realize I was there, she was pretty and I thought her focus on the word "the" was quite interesting. I finally put my hand on her shoulder.

"Excuse me maam?" For some reason it came out as a question.

She jumped a little when I lightly put my hand on her shoulder. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm trying to write a story and I have probably five scenarios going through my head."

"Wow!" I thought that was pretty exciting. I mentally shook myself. "Well, can I get you anything to drink?"

"Oh, um, a root beer would be great. Thank you so much." she answered. When she looked up at me, I realized her sparkly blue eyes. Absolutely beautiful. If she hadn't looked back down I don't know if I could've looked away.

"One root beer coming right up." I said as I wrote RB in my chicken scratch. Just as I was about to walk away I realized that her scarf and hat didn't match at all. Her scarf was bright, neon orange and her hat was some odd shade of green. I don't know why, but that made me all the more attracted to her.

I brought her root beer to her and she ordered the macaroni and cheese dish. That was my favorite at this place too. My shift was over as soon as she was done with her dinner. I decided to talk to her. I hadn't seen her before around here. Although, I had this really strange feeling that we had met once before.

"You visting the area, or have you just moved here, or maybe you just haven't eaten here before?"

"I just moved here on Monday." she answered. "I thought I should give my microwave a break. It was complaining." she laughed a little. I thought it was a cute joke so I laughed too. I looked down on her now half filled page and saw the word God show up a couple of times. I took this as an invitation from God Himself to ask this question.

"Well, have you found a church yet?" there was pep in my voice, I hoped that I wasn't pushing her away.

"No, haven't had much chance to investigate."

"Well, I could give you the address to mine. You don't have come or anything, but maybe you'd like to check it out."

"Sure, that'd be great." she smiled. "I just might do that."

I gave her the address and she wrote it down on the very same page she had been writing her story.

"Thank you." she said. "I should get back to unpacking. Good night."

"Good night." I stumbled through those words. She walked out, I was staring at her until she disappeared into the darkness.

"Come on." Eric walked by and lightly hit my arm. "Romeo."

That night as I was walking out of the restaraunt, I said a prayer, asking God, "If she's the one, please let her show up at church on Sunday morning." It was Friday, and let's just say, I had a hard time going to sleep. All I could think about was a girl who couldn't care less about whether or not her clothes matched and who had to have her story just right.
© Copyright 2012 Hello1 (narniafan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1880022-Mismatched-and-Hyperfocused