*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881534-Brain-Buzz-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #1881534
This is one of the many fragment scenes that buzz around in my brain. Standalone.
The level of boredom I suffered was absurd levels of high. Mom's place had no wifi, her On Demand was acting screwy, and my laptop games were unplayable. To be honest, they were working, but my pc controller was somewhere on the other side of the room, and I was lazy. My day at work was more than a little hellish, and the night before was spent getting rid of a high school level revenge prank some dude played on my mom. Seriously, a thirty something year old man putting up a fake ad with her phone number saying to call "anytime"? I hate the world sometimes.

I forced myself up off the couch to fish my phone charger out of my messenger. 'Thank the tech geniuses who came up with the portable hotspot,' was my thought when I remembered the technological marvel that was my smart phone. I was linking my laptop and dreaming up what Netflix would have to offer, when I heard a strange sound. From the side of the house came a rustle that usually meant someone was moving around my mother's trash can. I muted my already silent laptop and strained to hear anything other than the silence of the house.

The sound started again, moving under the high kitchen window toward the back of the house. My laptop was quietly placed on the cushion next to me as I stood. I quickly moved toward the sounds outside, trying to match up to where the sounds, footsteps I could tell as I got closer, were moving to. As they got closer to the door on the back of the house, I followed, stooping low to avoid the windows. The footsteps stopped directly outside the door. I crept toward the door, nearly hitting the doorknob of the closet adjacent to the back door. My body and my heart froze as I heard a male whisper behind the door.

"Hurry up!" Hardly breathing, I moved as quickly and quietly as I could into the closet. "Shut up!" Was the louder, annoyed reply as I heard the door handle jiggle. I covered my mouth to muffle any sounds. The back door gave the usual horrendous creak as it opened. "Is she here?" The first voice inquired. "She should be. The porch light is on. Laptop's over there." The second voice stated. Two sets of footsteps moved further into the living room and the sound of a bag hitting the floor made me flinch. I held my breath and slowly placed my hand on the doorknob.

I turned the knob as slowly as possible, praying neither of them were looking back. I heard one set of footsteps move toward the stairs, the other toward the couch. I cracked the door just wide enough for me to see. There was a very tall man holding my laptop. He closed the top and set the computer on the coffee table. I took a deep breath and eased out of my safe place. I moved as swiftly as I could up behind him, but froze again as he turned his head slightly. "Hey Mitch is she back there?" He shouted toward the stairs. "I don't know, quit yellin' neanderthal!" Came the even more annoyed reply. I snapped into action as the tall man chuckled and turned to the couch again.

As he leaned over to move a pillow, I rushed him, tackling and falling with him into the couch. As the couch teetered on the two back legs, he grabbed my arms and held on to them. I wrapped my legs around his stomach from behind and tried to use that as leverage to get my arms free. When I managed to get one free, he used his unoccupied hand to pinch my legs as I pushed my free hand against his back to help pull my other hand free. I finally freed both hands and used my best full nelson. He lifted both of us off the couch and managed to stand at his full height, putting me a good foot higher than I am used to.

As I felt him setting us up to fall back on the couch, my mother came back down the stairs, heading toward the kitchen. "You two grown ass adults break anything in my house, I will kill you." She threatened without stopping or looking up from her phone. My uncle laughed as he dropped us onto the couch, effectively knocking the wind out of me. He then jumped up and turned around, attacking me with a full tickle assault. He put on his best wrestler voice. "Did you think, that you, you little puny person, could get the drop, on me, Big Mack?" He breathed with a giant grin on his face. I could do nothing but laugh harder at his words and the attack I was still under.

"AH-AHM SORRY! UNC-UNCLE!" I laughed out. "UNCLE, UNCLE! I'M SORRY!" "That's what I thought!" He boasted as he relented. He stood at his full height, opened his arms wide, and gave me a big smile. I jumped up and wrapped my arms around his lanky frame, feeling just as safe as I always did in my uncle's arms. "Hey, hey Little Mack." He kissed the top of my head. "Hey, hey Uncle Makinac." I smirked when he tugged my ear playfully as we pulled away. He always hated that he was named for where he was born. " Whatever, Mackenzie Lee." Was his teasing reply. I hated my name too, even if I was kinda named after my only uncle. " Hey did you get darker, Big Mack?" I snarked playfully, pinching him. "Did you have too many Big Macs, Little Mack?" He snipped back poking my stomach.

I gave a great, hyper dramatic, gasp. "MOM! Big Mack is being mean!" My mother huffed from the doorway. I didn't know she was there at all. "What the hell is with you two and yelling?" " You named me after him." Was my usual defense. " Yeah, well." She rolled her eyes, then looked at her younger brother. "What's the matter? Getting old?" She smirked. I looked over to see my uncle trying to stretch his back. "Gah," he said as bent to touch his toes," I think your getting tougher, Little Mack." "No," my mother responded before I could," You are old. I still don't know what made you think wrestling with a six year old girl was a great idea." She brought up the eighteen year old argument they'd been having since the first time I watched wrestling with my uncle.

"I made her tough. She grew up awesome! One of the best Airmen out there!" "Not the point!" I sat back down on the couch, opening my laptop. I watched them argue back into the kitchen then booted up my computer. I listened to them up until I picked a movie and put my headphones in. I did miss my uncle.
© Copyright 2012 W. Davis (shamelesslove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881534-Brain-Buzz-1