*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881595-A-Walk-Around-the--Pond
Rated: · Fiction · Other · #1881595
Flash fiction story under 300 words.
Often, I go for a walk around the pond. There I see various birds, lots of turtles and sometimes an alligator or two. I love to see an alligator. They are so cool with their long noses and intense eyes. I think about how long they’ve been around.  Sometimes I talk on the phone while I’m walking but, most of the time I meditate and just take in the scenery. One day I saw a man get eaten by one of the alligators! He was standing very close to the water and the alligator jumped up and grabbed his leg. The man was slammed to the ground and dragged into the water, all in about 3 seconds. There was a lot of splashing and the man’s arms were swinging in the air. After about 5 minutes of struggling the water settled and all was still. I was glad it was over. All I could think was how hungry that alligator must have been and that I will never stand that close to the water. You may think it odd that I didn’t try to help the man and that I didn’t call 911, but I had my reasons. In fact, I relished the sight of that man being eaten by the alligator for two reasons. First he should have known better than to stand so close to the water and second he was my ex-husband. Just the thought of the alligator’s teeth digging into his flesh comforted me. Each bite seemed to attach another broken fragment to my heart. I’m always surprised there aren’t more people out at the pond. It’s such a nice pond. As long as you don’t get too close to those alligators.
© Copyright 2012 siobhan (siobhanh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881595-A-Walk-Around-the--Pond