*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881779-What-Did-You-All-Do
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1881779
I came home after one of the worst work weeks I have ever had. All I wanted was wine.
"SURPRISE!"

All the lights in my apartment came on.

Silly string
Rainbows
Bunny
Hat
Purple


My ears rang from all the noise. My eyes had spots from the sudden brightness and loud colors.

I looked around slowly, taking in all the people.

All I wanted was a glass of wine.

Seven days ago, my two month old car decided that it didn't want to work. That should have been the first sign.

The next day, the air conditioning for my whole apartment building went up. During a record breaking heat wave. Sign number two.

My boss was on a rampage all week. My clients all took a How to Screw Over Your Lawyer seminar. My incompetent assistant finally got herself fired, but only when I actually kind of needed her. Yeah, she was that bad to not even get fired in the right week. Third sign was the charm.

I should have called out and stayed at mom's.

I came home today after a twenty turned ninety minute bus ride. Seriously, you would think they took better care of those disease ridden coffins they use for public transportation.

All I wanted was a glass of wine.

I got an apartment full of people.

As I stared in shock at the people in my apartment all wearing pointy little purple hats. As I looked around the room, the shock wore off and I started recognizing them.

Most of them were family, my best friends were looking out from various hiding places, a few kids were peeking out from under my dining room table holding small cans, my mom was leaning over the back of my couch with a big grin, my brother's face was suddenly in mine, smiling big as he handed me a squealing little girl.

"Auntie Geanie! Were you supise?!"

I blinked, still coming out of my temporary stupor. "Yes I was Bug!"

"Yay! Daddy, Auntie Geanie supise!" She cheered as we moved further into the apartment.

"What is all this?" I inquired looking at all the rainbow streamers and random spots of what looked to be silly string all over.

"Don't tell me you thought we'd forget your birthday?" My mom came around the couch to give me a hug.

"No, I'm telling you I forgot my birthday." My favorite little bug looked at me with her best three year old shock.

"Auntie! How you forget you bifday?!

"It was a busy week, Bug." I smiled as my mom laughed at Britt's "Bug's" antics.

"Aren't you gonna ask whose idea this was?" Mom said, smiling bigger when Bug perked up proudly.

"Auntie guess!" Bug demanded.

I laughed. "Well, lets see,"

I looked around at all the decorations, "I see lots and lots of silly string, someone I know loves that stuff." Bug tried to stifle her giggles.

"And, I see everyone has purple hats and I share my favorite color with one special person." Her giggles grew in volume.

"I think that is a bunny in that cage I have never seen before, and only a few people know about my favorite animal." Bug squealed and threw her arms around my neck, burying her face in my neck.

"So, it must be," I took a dramatic deep breath."Mack. Thanks girl." I smiled at my best friend as she walked over. Mack laughed as Bug's head popped off of my shoulder, an affronted look on her face.

"NO. It was me Auntie!"

"Oh, you did?! Look at you, planning a party like a big girl!" Bug smiled big at this. " Thank you so much, I love it!" I gave her kiss on the cheek.

"Britt-Britt thought up the whole thing. Mom and I just supplied the money." My brother said, taking the little girl away from me so I could greet the other attendants. "She even called up the guests."

"Imagine how cute it is to have some three year old on your answering machine telling you, 'Make sure you bing something Auntie Geanie likes, so no socks.' " Mack laughed as she hugged me.

I laughed then moved to start greeting the rest of the people there. You wouldn't believe how much fun we had at a party planned fully by a three year old.

I was teased all night about the fact that I forgot my own birthday.

I had the week from hell, and all I wanted was a glass of wine.
© Copyright 2012 W. Davis (shamelesslove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1881779-What-Did-You-All-Do