*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1884509-TBD
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Dark · #1884509
I haven't gotten too far but I would like to know if it is worth pursuing.
PROLOGUE:

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?" I screamed at the phantom-like figure approaching me. The figure was a teenager with waist length hair, but most of it had been crudely chopped off right below her ears. Some of the cuts had reached her ears and she was still bleeding. Her head was shaped like a heart and had black eyes that showed no pupils. her nose looked as if it was upside down and her lips were split and also bleeding. If you wanted my opinion, I would tell you she was dead. But sadly that was not the case. I know, because she happened to be my arch enemy.

Chapter 1

Let me start at the beginning. My name is Jessie Brooks and I live in Western Falls, Mississippi. I have shoulder length brown hair and the plainest features in my class. I wear no makeup and I resent shopping. I am 15 years old and about to enter High School. That's the name of our high school here. We don't have that much imagination. We don't believe in ghosts or zombies or any of that nonsense. That changed over the summer. During eighth grade, Summer Ferry developed a burning hatred for me. I can't really explain it other than, one day I barely knew her name and the next she was telling me to jump off a bridge. That was back in February. It was February 15th and the day before had been the same as every other Valentines Day. I wore black to protest the love others were showing and hung out with my friends June and Frank. They were the same as me. The plain people no one payed attention to. The only odd thing was that Dave Becker bumped into me, presumably because he didn't see me, and then offered to pick up what I dropped. I didn't know if he was being nice or if he just acted that way all the time. Anyway, I thought nothing of it until Summer started yelling at me in homeroom the next day. I stayed quiet and let her rant, then told her to shut up and sit down. She didn't like that and went red in the face. Fortunately for me, the teacher walked in just then. Otherwise I would've had to fight her in the middle of the classroom. Throughout the day she had daggers whenever she looked at me. For the rest of the year, people seemed to go out of their way to avoid me. Most likely because Summer was the second most popular girl in our grade. Rebecca was the most popular, and Summer was incredibly jealous of her. But that's not important right now. What is important is that I spent the rest of eighth grade completely isolated from everyone except June and Frank. It wasn't so bad. Summer wanted to make me feel lonely, but I never had many friends anyway. This was just a couple hundred people doing what they did every day. Anyway, school ended and I hoped that was the end of my feud with Summer. Obviously I was wrong or I wouldn't be talking to you. The strange stuff started about a week into vacation. I have no life over the summer, so I was reading in my room, my favorite pastime, when all the lights suddenly went out. I wasn't too worried because we live in a very old house so there are a lot of problems. But I did start getting worried when the lights didn't come on after I reset the breaker. That had always worked before. My parents were at work so I couldn't ask them. They don't like to be disturbed at work. Since it was summer, there was enough light coming through the windows that I had no need for light. But that was just the beginning. Once we figured out how to get the lights working again, all the water in the house turned off. No matter how much we twisted the knobs, water refused to come out of the taps. I thought there was a block in the pipes, but the pipes were completely clear. At this time I could think of no connection between Summer and our house. I should have. That would have saved everyone in our town some pain and suffering. You see, three weeks into summer, the accidents started. At first it wasn't bad, someone would fall off a ladder and get a bump on the head, but it quickly escalated to a dangerous level, bones were snapped and heads were crushed. The number of car wrecks skyrocketed, and almost everyone in them died. This was the time I began worrying. The town still didn't believe in paranormal beings, but I was getting suspicious. What if these things really did exist? Were they causing the "accidents"? I tried talking to my parents, but they obviously thought I was crazy, so I went to June's house. She was my best friend, so I knew she would listen to me. At least, I thought that. I was dead serious as I voiced her my suspicions, but she laughed as soon as I stopped for breath. Like I said, this town has no imagination. June was prettier than me. She had curly blonde hair halfway down her back and a round head. She had been my best friend since kindergarten. I can't imagine life without her. June usually supported me through think and thin, but this was too much. After fifteen years of living in denial, I was finally learning the truth about the world. The only problem was that no one else was learning it along with me. After June didn't believe me, I went to Frank. He didn't laugh at me, but he didn't believe me either. Frank thought I was crazy, and asked me not to bother him with any more "fantasies" of mine. They didn't understand anything. I stopped by the park on my way home because that's here everyone hangs out during the summer. No one had seen Summer since the last day of school. Normally Summer could be seen all over town with all her friends. All the kids in the park were not worried because Summer had been talking about going away for vacation, so they just assumed she left.

Chapter 2
It wasn't until a month later until the police started investigating. Just to be clear, they were not investigating the accidents, which had killed numerous people. No, the police started looking into why Summer hadn't returned from her vacation. She was supposed to return over two weeks ago, and no one had heard from her or her family. It turns out that Summer's father was on the police force and he called in a panic. He said he was in trouble and no one was to look for them. Of course no one listens to people when they are in a screaming panic, so the police traced the call and followed the trail to an abandoned town with a single working payphone, with which Summer's dad had called. I got to tag along because I was doing a summer internship with the cops because i was "interested" in their work .The truth was that I wanted to know what was happening first hand instead of waiting for the media to botch the story. While in the town, I wandered away from the group and searched the buildings for anything suspicious. I was right on one account. Something fishy was afoot, and not just because we were next to a lake.the cops were inspecting the phone for fingerprints, but I was looking around for anything obvious. Inside one of the most beaten down buildings, I saw her. Summer Ferry. She was calmly sitting on a chair in the middle of the barren room. She was wearing a black floor length gown, which was covered in grime and dust but her hair was perfect though. Summer always had pretty hair, but now it was shiny, straight, and ebony black. I thought it was a little creepy that she was just sitting there, like she didn't have a care in the world. I was cautious because it was weird, but I slowly walked towards her, picking up a shovel that was conveniently leaning against the wall next to me. The closer I got to Summer, the more scared I got. I could see why she was so still. Around her neck was a noose that was attached to the ceiling. Also around her wrists, ankles and stomach was fishing line laced with barbed wire. if she moved slightly, the wire would cut her, and I spotted a trapdoor under the front half of her chair. If she stood up, too much weight would be on the door, and she would fall and be hanged, I was getting more freaked out by the minute. I ran out of the house to the police and got one of them to come with me back to Summer, but when we arrived, Summer was sitting freely, all calm, and when we walked in, she got up and came to us, smiling sweetly. I was shocked. A few minutes ago she had been tied up and looked dead, now she looked normal. The policeman asked her what happened here, and her answer was oddly vague.
" I don't know. I woke up early because my dad was taking me out, but no one was around, so I was just waiting here until they got back"
she said.
"But why didn't you call anyone when no one showed up?" The policeman had slowly gotten Summer to walk with him back to the other cops.
"It had only been a few hours, so I didn't see a reason to call."
"But your dad called the town about a week ago, and was in a panic, how come you have been only here for a few hours?'
© Copyright 2012 chelsea (poloko90 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1884509-TBD