*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1885259-The-Fredlaus---Notes-WIP
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1885259
Notes for a new novel I am going to be writing.
The Fredlaus Notes

Inside Clan Hierarchy

Konung (King)- The Warlord, basically, the Konung is a glorified Jarl who leads the Jarlar by example- and that example is battle prowess. The Konung was a Jarl of a clan at one point, but left their clan upon beating the other four Jarls in duels to the death in order to assume the role of Konung (if the previous Konung died without successor). If the Konung had a successor or is still ruling and is bested in combat, the winner becomes Konung.

Jarl (Upper-tier Nobility)- The clan’s best warrior, he leads the clan.

Lendmann (Seneschal of a Jarl)- The clan’s most respected Godi, he leads the day to day operations.

Herse (Lower-tier Nobility)- The leader of a clan’s house.

Armann (Seneschal of a Herse)- Said house’s most respected Godi, with the same purpose.

Skeppare (Leader of a warboat)- Leads the house’s boats to war.

Huskarl (The leading warriors [hird] of a clan house)- Most respected warriors of the clan, honor guard and leaders in battle.

Thegn (Adult warriors)- All warriors of age.

Drang (Youth warriors)- All warriors not of age.

Hauld (6+ generation farmholders)- Lowest form of nobility, the Hauld is respected because s/he has held onto his/her land for so long.

Bondi (Newer farmholders)- A new owner of land.

Folc (Farmers and the general populace)- Farmers and other civilians.

Leysingja (Freedman)- Former Thralls who are legally sub-par citizens.

Thrall (Slaves)- Slaves.

Clan Hierarchy

1. Asgeirri (“Those of the God Spear”)- Receivers of a mandate from Tyr as the leaders of the warrior people, they rule the central lands.

2. Annari (“Those who are Second”)- The primary servants of the Asgeirri, they are rewarded well for their service and are in turn served by all others. They rule the north lands.

3. Agmundr (“The Protectors with the Swords”)- The best warriors, they rule the eastern lands.

4. Aulayr (“The Ancestors”)- The best Godi, they rule the western lands.

5. Arlanr (“The Strangers”)- The newest addition to the empire, they were assimilated by in-breeding long ago and forget of times before the Asgeirri came. Rulers of the southern lands.

6. Fredlausr (“Those Without Peace”)- The dragon-hunters, they forswore their clans and homes in order to best protect them. They are landless, but have many holds in each land.
© Copyright 2012 Vicentiu Vassiliu (vicentiu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1885259-The-Fredlaus---Notes-WIP