*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1886511-Vengeance
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1886511
Hannah has been the victim too long. It's time she evened up the score.
Vengeance Is Mine





Turning from the window she carefully lifted the tray of dry, stale crackers and a glass of warm water from the coffee table and made her way up to the third floor attic to deliver the pathetic meal. She moved slowly and deliberately so as not to spill a precious drop of the water and sleeping powder. Once he got a taste of those awful crackers, he wouldn’t be able to resist a long gulp of the clear liquid.

         The attic, cold and dark, seemed eerie with only a trace of sunlight illuminating the room through an occasional crack in the walls. Hannah reached up and pulled the chain dangling from the single bulb hanging form the ceiling. She walked to the farthest corner of the room, careful not to trip over the cornucopia of junk her mother left behind. She bent down to remove an old, musty sheet from atop an antique trunk she inherited. Reaching into her pocket she fished out the key to the padlock she’d recently placed on the trunk and lifted the lid to peer inside. Eyes dancing with pure delight, Hannah leaned down and spoke roughly to her prisoner.

“Well hello sweetheart, sleep well? I hope you’re hungry. I slaved over this all morning, just for you.” She laughed viciously at the panic that covered his face. She removed the gag from Jared’s mouth, offering him the paltry meal. Instead of eating it, he called out in hopes that someone would hear his pleas and send help.

“Help me please, somebody,” he cried out in both anger and fear.

“Shut up, you idiot,” she hissed between clenched teeth, while forcing the gag back into Jared’s mouth. “No one cares what happens to you, just like they never cared all those times you beat me and left me bloodied on the floor while you went in search of



your next lover.” She slammed the trunk lid down and replaced the padlock before moving toward the tiny attic window. Peering outside, she noticed the elderly neighbor lady, Millie Carson, studying the house intently. Millie stood firmly planted in her backyard, her right hand shielding her eyes from the bright sunlight as she scanned the Larkin home for the source of all the yelling. Hannah ducked out of sight before Millie could spot her and sat down atop the trunk to plan her next move. The ringing of the doorbell jolted Hannah from her thoughts. Placing the old sheet back over the trunk, she raced downstairs and flung open the door to come face-to-face with Millie.

“Millie, what a nice surprise. What can I do for you?

“Well Hanna, dear, I though I heard screaming over her. It sounded like Jared and I just wanted t know if everything was all right?” Millie tried to sneak a peek inside, but Hannah stayed firmly planted to block her view.

“Everything is fine, Millie. Jared is out of town on business and I’m here by myself.”

“Oh, well I could have sworn I heard yelling over here.”

“It might have been the T.V. I guess I had it too loud. I promise I’ll keep it down.” Hannah stepped back inside and quickly closed the door behind her. She leaned against the door and let out a long, deep breath. Fearing another close call, Hannah decided to keep a closer eye on Millie.

The rest of the week proved uneventful with no signs of Millie. As she prepared to make her twice daily trips to the attic, Hannah heard a soft knocking on the front door.



She opened the door warily, expecting to find Millie waiting on the other side, but instead came face-to-face with Jared’s brother Scott, grinning ear-to-ear.

“Surprised to see me?” Scott asked as he pulled Hannah into a tight embrace.



.”Surprised? That’s an understatement,” she pulled away from him, stepping back inside. Scott followed close on her heels and closed the door behind them. “You haven’t come around in over three years. Why show up now?” Hannah asked as they made their way to the kitchen.

“I missed my little brother and his gorgeous wife. Haven’t seen you guys ever since…” His voice trailed off and he looked away to avoid Hannah’s piercing eyes.

“Go ahead and say it, Scott. Ever since Jessica was taken from us.”

“I know Jared did a lot of terrible things to you, but she is his daughter too and I’m sure he misses her as much as you.”

“He’s the reason she’s gone. They took her away because of the beatings. If he would have just stopped hitting us, she’d be here now instead of God knows where, with God knows who.”

“I know where and who,” Scott began, avoiding Hannah’s burning stare once again. “When Child Protective Services took her, the court asked Mom is she would be willing to take Jessica in. Of course, Mom didn’t hesitate. She wanted Jessica to remain with family. We’re taking good care of her, don’t worry.”





“Your mother has had her all this time and you never told me? “ Hannah asked in disbelief.

“I wanted to tell you, but Mom thought better of it. She believed that you were involved in the beatings as well, and you know Mom, you just don’t go against her wishes.”

“You and Jared are both alike. Neither one of you have ever had the guts to stand up against your mother,” Hannah replied angrily. “All this time I thought my baby was far away from me. I haven’t been allowed to see her in three years and you never told me. I thought we were close. Did that one night mean nothing to you?”

“You know that meant everything to me, but Jared…”

“Damn Jared, what about us? Back then I thought you loved me, but you just disappeared. No phone call, no letter, nothing.” She cried.

“I do love you, I always have. But Jared found out about us and it was either walk away or …”

“Or what?”

“Or Jared would have claimed you were an unfit mother and take her away from you.” Jared whispered softly.

“She was taken from me anyway, and you have always known where she’s been.” Hannah cried. “Why didn’t you come back for me?”







“I did it because I was scared damn it! I was weak, but not anymore. I want to tell Jared the truth about us. We’ll get Jessica and go far away, be a real family.” Jared inched closer to Hannah, eliminating the distance between them.

“Really? Are you sure?”

“Absolutely sure. I want him out of your life and mine. It wouldn’t hurt if he suffered a little in the process either. A little added bonus for the suffering he has caused. What do you say?”

“I say,” she hesitated briefly before throwing her arms around Scott’s neck and kissing him roughly. “I say yes. Let’s do it. I’m almost afraid to mention this, but I’ve already started on the suffering.”

“What do you mean?” Scott asked, unsure of what to expect.

“Jared. I’ve had him locked in the attic for over a week now. It’s my way of punishing him for all of the abuse. Please don’t be angry with me.” Hannah pleaded.

“Angry? How could I be angry? Sounds like a great start to the end of Jared Larkin.”

“Wonderful. When do we start?” Hannah asked with glee.

“First, let’s get rid of that nosey neighbor, Millie Carson. She came running out of the house as soon as I got out of my car, screaming about something being wrong over here.”







“Oh, that old crow is always sticking her nose where it doesn’t belong. Yet, she never said a word when Jared was beating Jessica and me senseless. You know how to get rid of her?”

“Sure do, maybe a freak accident. An old lady like her just might slip in the tub and drown. Of course, we’ll have to make it look like an accident.”

“I can see Millie’s bathroom from the upstairs bedroom,” Hannah began. “I know for a fact that she takes a bath every day at four thirty in the afternoon, right after her nap.”

“Good, then all we have to do is wait for the right moment and I’ll sneak in and drown her, leaving no evidence, of course. Once she’s been found and everything calms down, then we’ll take Jared to the lake and take him for a swim.”

“It sounds easy enough, but what if something goes wrong?”

“Nothing will go wrong, I promise. I love you Hannah, trust me.”

“I do trust you Scott, and I love you too. What do you say we go upstairs and celebrate?”

“Lead the way, my lady.”

The next day Hannah found Scott alone in the kitchen, in deep thought. Throwing her arms around him, she kissed his neck. “Good morning sweetheart. Is there anything wrong?”







“I’ve made a decision, Hannah, and you may not like it. I want you to go on ahead. I’ll stay here and take care of Millie, and then I’ll bring Jared. We’ll take care of him together.”

“No Scott, it’s too risky. We’re in this together.”

It’s better this way. I’ll do it today after you leave and then I’ll meet you at the hotel later. That way no one could suspect you since you weren’t at home, and no one knows about me.”

“Are you sure we should? Maybe this is too crazy to pull off.” Hannah paled at the thought of leaving Jared alone with Scott. There was no love lost between the brothers and Jared could get very violent, very fast.

“Of course I’m sure. Now you go pack and I’ll get ready for Millie.”



Only two short hours ago Hannah lay sleeping next to the man she loved. Now she sat alone in a hotel room, waiting for him to commit murder, worrying that he’d get caught. Hearing a key turning the lock, Hannah raced to the door as Scott entered the room. “It’s all over,” Scott replied in response to her unasked question. “I’ve got Jared in the trunk of the car, let’s go.”

Ushering Hannah out to the car, Scott sped off toward the lake where Jared would take his last breath. “We’re almost there, Hannah, hold on,” he said several minutes later.

Hannah jumped from the care almost before it stopped. “I’ll help you with Jared.”





“No, I can do it. You wait over by the picnic tables,” he said, motioning to his left. “I’ll meet you there in just a few minutes.”

Several minutes had passed before Scott reappeared behind her.

“Is it over?” she asked.

“I’ll say it is.” Hannah recognized the voice immediately. She turned to come face-to-face with Jared.

“Jared, what are you…? Why?”

“You see, my darling, you have been set up. I knew all along you were up to something. So I gave Scott a call to come here and keep an eye on you just in case. Good thing I did too. You locked me in the trunk the next day. After I called Scott, I let Grandma know what was going on and she was more than happy to help. Come on out Grandma.”

Hannah’s face paled at the sight of her nosey old neighbor “Millie? I thought…”

I know what you thought, dear. Unfortunately, you were terribly wrong. I’d even go so far as to say you were dead wrong.” Millie stated matter-of-factly.

“I told you the truth about having custody of Jessica,” Scott chimed in. “I lied, however, in telling you that you’ll ever see her again.” Scott motioned for Hannah to look to her left. In doing so, she noticed Jared’s handgun pointed right at her head.

“Jared, please. Give me another chance. I’m so sorry,” she cried.

“Oh how pathetic and unoriginal. We’ve given each other enough chances already, Baby.” Jared replied. “I tell you what I will do. Run, Hannah, run. I’ll give you a



thirty second head start and then I’ll start shooting. If you get away, go away. Get out of this town, get out of my life, and stay away form Jessica. She’s mine now and only mine. If you ever come around her, I will kill you. That I promise.”

Hannah stood in stunned silence for what seemed like an eternity until she heard Jared counting down from thirty. She turned toward the wooded area behind her and ran as fast as she could, tears streaming down her pale, terrified face. “I’ll get you for this Jared,” she called out into the air. “I’ll get all of you. That I promise.”



















© Copyright 2012 MysteryGal (bbutler23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1886511-Vengeance