*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888005-Moon-Story
by Amay
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1888005
Moonlight and You a newborn's story
“Shhh! Shhhh!” Patting your back as I walk you around our apartment in the darkness of early morning. “You really need to let your poor Mommy get some sleep.” Slowly I slide the glass door open and start walking, quietly starting the story, the story of Moonlight and You.


“The birthing room was a bustle of activity. Nurses running around but you could tell each movement they made was purposeful, the doctor sitting there in catcher’s position, waiting patiently, the scene was surreal.” I sigh softly, I love it when you snuggle your head into my neck.

“I knew my duties; breathing instructions, lifting and positioning, everything was happening so quickly, yet so slowly. My view was out the window, in between coaching and watching. I know, I know, I should have been more present, but the moon mesmerized me. Its golden glow just kept calling to me.”

Gently I rub your back, feeling all the tension slowly melting and keep walking. “You know, your mom can’t say anything. When she wasn’t engrossed on getting you out, she stared at it too.”

“I remember the first peek of it rising over the horizon, its light dappling across the crests of the gentle waves. I remember how its reflection on the ocean grew as it began it journey across the horizon. Little by little the moon inched up, and closer and closer you came to be with us.”

“Everything got really busy there for a little bit, I had to help your mom. I only had quick glimpses at the moon from time to time. It was making progress in showing itself, just like you were. You were ready to be welcomed to this world and there wasn’t time to watch outside the window.”

“When you finally decided to come and join us; the moon seemed to lift off of the water and into the heavens. I can’t remember a time when the moon was so huge, so golden. It’s light sending you a welcoming beacon of light and hope.” My rounds around the deck end, and I gingerly sit down on the porch rocker under another full moon being careful not to jar you. Your breathing is steady, you’ve gone back to a peaceful slumber.

I continued your story while I rock for a little bit more. “One look at you and I suddenly understood what a father’s love must feel like. I’d never felt such a powerful, all consuming love before. There was more than just love. There was joy, complete and utter joyfulness. There was apprehension, that sudden awareness that this little life depended upon me… well, and your mom too.”

“One day, my son, I hope you can find love like I’ve found with your mother and the joy of having a child as precious as you.”

I continue to slowly rock, watching the full moon cross the horizon with my baby boy in my arms. I truly know love and joy in peaceful moments like these.


Coloring the World Entry
word count 500 out of 500 word limit
© Copyright 2012 Amay (amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888005-Moon-Story